UT3 Unreal Engine 3 Games Editor Access

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
A method to modify every Unreal Engine 3 based game:

1. Go into the chosen game's Binaries folder and locate the game's main executable.

2. Launch the executable with the "editor" word added in the commandline, e.g.

Saw: The Video Game: SawGame.exe editor

3. You are free to use the UnrealEngine3 Toolset for that chosen game.

4. In some games it is necessary to copy the wxRC and wxRes folders from the UT3\Binaries folder to the game's binaries folder, e.g.
- Mirror's Edge

5. Some games require SPECIAL patches for the editor to be enabled, e.g.
- Borderlands

• Download this patch
  • Extract it to the base installation folder of Borderlands
  • Run the appropriate fix.bat (Use the Windows 7 one if you have Windows 7, otherwise use the regular one)
  • Make a shortcut to Borderlands.exe and add "-editor" in the target line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Angel_Mapper, thanks for notice 4.
Many thanks to Dr.Zed for the Borderlands editor patch and for Darkdrium for mentioning it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't quite know where to put this so if the Forum Staff considers this placed in a wrong forum, then I humbly ask that it be moved into the proper one.

I'd also like to make this a STICKY as it is a very important notice.

It might have been put somewhere on the net, but I don't know of this, I'm posting this here as a result of my own experiment.

It should work with any Unreal Engine 3 based game. I'm currently testing any UE3-based games I own, but no problems should occur.

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Sorry, it's not quite this easy. Some games purposely disable the editor, so it's a bit more involved than just running the editor switch, if it's possible at all. Mirror's Edge is a good example.
If you want to do it manually, just copy the wxRC and wxRes folders from your UT3\Binaries folder into your Mirror's Edge\Binaries folder and then run "MirrorsEdge.exe editor" like other UE3 based games.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
For Borderlands:

• Download this patch
  • Extract it to the base installation folder of Borderlands
  • Run the appropriate fix.bat (Use the Windows 7 one if you have Windows 7, otherwise use the regular one)
  • Make a shortcut to Borderlands.exe and add "-editor" in the target line.

So yeah, not as simple as you say.

Many thanks to Dr.Zed for the Borderlands editor patch.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Thank you, Angel_Mapper, I will test all the games I own myself to make a list of what works when. I am sure workarounds exist for most cases.

EDIT:

Thank you, Darkdrium.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I wish more games would provide the editor. The only downside of doing so is that your DLC has to be worth the cost, because anyone can make a couple of maps.