Installing D3D11 Render Device On New Build

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hi All,

On a new build, for Unreal gaming, I installed high definition (HD) 4K extreme edition, 4.3GB textures, the largest and most up to date textures currently available.

Those textures require the use of D3D11 Render Device software to work. I didn't have D3D11 Render Device software installed. I downloaded, installed them, and launched an Unreal game for testing.

In the game's Advanced Options, Rendering drop-down menu, the D3D11 Support was listed as "Failed to Load." The system Log showed an error "Can't find file for package D3D11Drv." Those errors mean that my installed D3D Render Device software was not working.

To enable my D3D11 software, I searched the Internet and determined that I needed two versions of Microsoft software, as follows.:

1. Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime, (June 2010)
2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable -- 10030319

I didn't have those, so I installed them, after which my Unreal games recognized the D3D11software. Unreal Gold, Napli and Unreal Tournament 99 are now running with D3D11Render Device software.

This post makes the task I had look like it was easy. Well, it was not. I was confused a lot. It took me the better part of a day to sort this problem out.

For those of you that are interested in installing textures that require D3D11 Renderer to work, you now know what you may have to do to make your task easier than what my situation was. You can find all the textures and other neat stuff here.:

Did You Know About the Updates Available for Unreal, Napali and UT99

Freddy

Edit: Actually, the total textures I installed was more than 4.8GB, as stated in the first paragraph, above. The total was 8.1GB. I made an error in above statement.

Edit 2: I'm using Windows 10 Home, latest edition.

Last edited:

medor

Mar 15, 2009
Have you enable s3tc ?

UnrealTournament.ini section [D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]

if no you can see here how to
[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
SwapInterval=0
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=False
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
FrameRateLimit=150
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.100000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=False
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False
SceneNodeHack=True
UseFragmentProgram=False

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
hi medor,

The .ini that the D3D11 Render Device established in my Unreal Tournament system folder is very different from that which you posted. The .ini in my system has some of the same settings, but includes many other differences, including it has no option for using s3tc.

Here are a few examples of settings that D3D11 includes in its .ini file:

ParallaxOcclusionMapping=True
AutoFOV=True
UnlimitedViewDistance=True
Tesselation=True
ASSAOContrast=0.300000
ASSAOScale=0.300000
HDRFilmicTonemapping=True
TessellateOnlyInCFG=True
SupportTextEnabled=True

So, that's just the way it is. Nothing I can do about it. I'm familiar with settings in the .ini.

Freddie

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Try pasting the uses3tc in either way, it might not show all the settings if you haven't explored them in "preferences" before. Just saying but it might work so try adding that line in in your config file. It might work.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hey Leo,

When I first noticed that UT99's D3D11Render Device .ini didn't include the "UseS3TC" line, I believed it was by design. That line also is not available in the Preferences area. I have not noticed any problems because of this missing line. The graphics look fine. Even so, you can stuff everything I know about these settings into a thimble and have plenty room left over.

Anyway, give me some time to look into this question. I have a post about this situation over at the site that made this D3D11 available in the first place. I would like to see what they have to say about this. Sometimes one doesn't get a response to a post, so we'll see.

Freddie

medor

Mar 15, 2009
Try it past all the part
make a save before if you are afraid

if you don't add the line UseS3TC=True your textures don't work at all

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I'm afraid medor might be right. But all the settings might be unnecesary since it is medor's own config. The UseS3TC line seems the most important for you. I am not talking about the menu preferences, but the "advanced options" which is normally hidden in UT but you can invoke it by typing "preferences" into the console. It should be avaiable in rendering.
If you just paste in uses3tc=true, it won't erase a line and it can't hurt, at worst the program will ignore it.

Last edited:

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
OK, I added UseS3TC=True in my Unreal Tounnament.ini folder, and it made no difference in how the game handles those HD 4K Extreme Testures. They all look the same as they did before I made the change.

I didn't make the change in the games's Preferences options. It isn't there in the first place, and I don't know how to add it there. I would think that adding it in the .ini file in System would suffice anyway.

It doesn't matter, it seems. It looks as though this D3D11 modification was made to handle the textures without the UseS3TC option, but that's just coming from someone who knows almost nothing about these settings. I just went along with what the game established.

Freddie

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Instead of adding lines from mixed versions of the renderer which wont work, open the advanced options window and configure the renderers there.
Using the engines own UI you will only see compatible switches, and any in the config that are not used will not be visible.

Different renderers have a different name for the S3TC compatability, such as S3TC or Compressed or HD.
It is also highly unlikely that the default in the DX11 renderer is off. it will be on if you don't change it

Instructions for installing the DX10 and upwards renderers are very simple. you just seem to have made it more complex than it is.

Last edited:

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Every One,

I don't know whether it's my writing or whether it's others' reading, but something is causing miscommunication here. Whatever. Here is my Unreat Tournament.ini file. It's the same in the Preferences > Advanced Options > Rendering area (apart from the S3TC line).

The only change I made from what the game established was to add the line to use S3TC only in the .ini file in System, because people here said to add it. Note that I did not add that line in the Preferences. It was never in there in the first place:

[D3D11Drv.D3D11RenderDevice]
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
DetailTextures=True
Precache=False
Antialiasing=4
Anisotropy=16
VSync=True
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=True
LODBias=0
BumpMapping=True
HDR=True
AlphaToCoverage=True
AutoFOV=True
FPSLimit=100
UnlimitedViewDistance=True
UseS3TC=True (I ADDED THIS LINE, AND ONLY THIS LINE)
ASSAO=True
Tesselation=True
ASSAOContrast=0.300000
ASSAOScale=0.300000
HDRLuminance=0.500000
HDRAdaptationSpeed=0.200000
HDRBloom=0.200000
HDRFilmicTonemapping=True
SSR=False
OneXBlending=False
TessellateOnlyInCFG=True
FullMeshLOD=False
SupportTextEnabled=True
DescFlags=0
Description=Radion RX-550

Also note that the HD Extreme textures are working just fine. I never said that they weren't working properly. I did say that adding the line to use S3TC made no difference in how the textures work. This is where the miscommunication lies, I think.

Freddie

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
If the line won't display even in the rendering dialog then sure, it doesn't exist as such. It must be another of those options. But since this doesn't follow the usual conventions and I never used D3D11 I can't help you. I don't know what SSR is, maybe try toggling that off and on to see if it has any effect or look it up what it stands for.

You could also try fullmeshlod to set to true that might improve the mesh rendering on distance. However I see that "HDR" is on and stuff too so there shouldn't be a reason for the s3tc textures not working unless you didn't enable them.

EDIT: Err, I meant unless you didn't install them properly or something.

Last edited:

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
I now suspect that what the Unreal Tournament .ini file looks like depends on what textures you're using. I'm using those textures that only work with D3D11. I suspect that my .ini file looks different from what others have is because they are not using the same textures as what I'm using. Here is an image of the site where I downloaded the textures I'm using.:

1Capture.JPG

I now believe the textures one uses makes the .ini look the way it does, though I don't actually know that for sure. Note that those textures come in two separate download files.

Freddie

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That only makes sense if each of those packages have different dlls to come with it. Textures themselves cannot influence the behavior of the internal drivers.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Sure, Leo I understand completely. The .ini I have is what Unreal Tournament99 established, and it is what it is. Someone somewhere made it work like that, and I have no knowledge about it. All I know is that it works just fine. I'll leave it at that.

Freddie

Mark Hayes

Sep 24, 2021
Hi All,

On a new build, for Unreal gaming, I installed high definition (HD) 4K extreme edition, 4.3GB textures, the largest and most up to date textures currently available.

Those textures require the use of D3D11 Render Device software to work. I didn't have D3D11 Render Device software installed. I downloaded, installed them, and launched an Unreal game for testing.

In the game's Advanced Options, Rendering drop-down menu, the D3D11 Support was listed as "Failed to Load." The system Log showed an error "Can't find file for package D3D11Drv." Those errors mean that my installed D3D Render Device software was not working.

To enable my D3D11 software, I searched the Internet and determined that I needed two versions of Microsoft software, as follows.:

2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable -- 10030319

I didn't have those, so I installed them, after which my Unreal games recognized the D3D11software. Unreal Gold, Napli and Unreal Tournament 99 are now running with D3D11Render Device software.

This post makes the task I had look like it was easy. Well, it was not. I was confused a lot. It took me the better part of a day to sort this problem out.

For those of you that are interested in installing textures that require D3D11 Renderer to work, you now know what you may have to do to make your task easier than what my situation was. You can find all the textures and other neat stuff here.:

Did You Know About the Updates Available for Unreal, Napali and UT99

Freddy

Edit: Actually, the total textures I installed was more than 4.8GB, as stated in the first paragraph, above. The total was 8.1GB. I made an error in above statement.

Edit 2: I'm using Windows 10 Home, latest edition.
Freddie, I followed the instructions and installed everything but the option to choose Directx 11 never shows up. What am I missing on the install? I installed the DX 10 renderer awhile back and it still shows up, same with DX 9. The only thing missing is the DX 11 option. Any help appreciated. Thanks..

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hi Mark,

It's hard to address issues from a distance, especially when one isn't there to actually observe and to know what transpired. As such, I will do my best to help. As I recall from my experience, the following information was key to get Direct 11 to work, quote.:

"In the game's Advanced Options, Rendering drop-down menu, the D3D11 Support was listed as "Failed to Load." The system Log showed an error "Can't find file for package D3D11Drv." Those errors mean that my installed D3D Render Device software was not working.

2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable -- 10030319"

End of quote.

Maybe you can post whether you installed those two Microsoft items listed just above, and also post what your Advanced Options and your system log has to say about the problem.

That's the best help that I can give for now. Anyone with additional information that could help is welcome to respond.

Freddy

Mark Hayes

Sep 24, 2021
Hi Mark,

It's hard to address issues from a distance, especially when one isn't there to actually observe and to know what transpired. As such, I will do my best to help. As I recall from my experience, the following information was key to get Direct 11 to work, quote.:

"In the game's Advanced Options, Rendering drop-down menu, the D3D11 Support was listed as "Failed to Load." The system Log showed an error "Can't find file for package D3D11Drv." Those errors mean that my installed D3D Render Device software was not working.

2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 X86 Redistributable -- 10030319"

End of quote.

Maybe you can post whether you installed those two Microsoft items listed just above, and also post what your Advanced Options and your system log has to say about the problem.

That's the best help that I can give for now. Anyone with additional information that could help is welcome to respond.

Freddy
I did miss installing both of those. Will install and see if the DX 11 option shows up in the UT99 preferences menu..

Thank You

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Freddie, I followed the instructions and installed everything but the option to choose Directx 11 never shows up. What am I missing on the install? I installed the DX 10 renderer awhile back and it still shows up, same with DX 9. The only thing missing is the DX 11 option. Any help appreciated. Thanks..
Hi. And you are? Bit of an introduction?

Mark Hayes

Sep 24, 2021
Hi. And you are? Bit of an introduction?
I am a long time player of UT 99, since 99 actually. Been getting some work friends interested in playing the last year. I have installed the dx9 and dx10 render updates and the show up as an option when I change the display settings, but the dx11 option does not show up. Not sure what I am missing. The c++ redistributable that was recommended is out of date, a newer version is on the computer. Windows 10 pro..