Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Mad Max-9/10

The original is still the best. A cult classic that I've seen so many times I can't count them. I borrowed the whole Mad Max collection (including Fury Road that I've only seen once) on Bluray. I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the quality of the Bluray master is despite the age and limited production values of the film.

A true classic....

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior-5/10

This is probably the weakest of all the films in the trilogy. While it has it's moments it just doesn't stack up well against the first movie which is so powerful.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Rogue One - 9/10

Great story, and it was really good to see gaps being filled between episodes and fill out some characters. CGI was OK, think it could have been done way better.

Loved the fact there no name actors again. I spent more time getting involved in the story than thinking about what they had been in before.

Also loved to see a nice sunny planet that wasn't a dusk bowl or a rainforest.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Passengers (3D)-8/10

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The story is compelling and engaging; well told. Well acted and great visuals. The music was excellent.

It even shows some influences from films that went before it:

If anyone has seen the trailers of film the bar room looks like it could have been lifted from The Shining, and you can also throw in some Dark Star and Silent Running influences.

An extremely well done and entertaining two hours.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Mad Max-9/10

The original is still the best. A cult classic that I've seen so many times I can't count them. I borrowed the whole Mad Max collection (including Fury Road that I've only seen once) on Bluray. I was pleasantly surprised to see how good the quality of the Bluray master is despite the age and limited production values of the film.

A true classic....

This is probably the weakest of all the films in the trilogy. While it has it's moments it just doesn't stack up well against the first movie which is so powerful.

Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome-7/10

I can't remember how many times I've see this movie but it's not as lame as I remembered but. Some of the acting is a bit flaky in places but it's all building up to the car-chase action anyway.

As far as scripts go it certainly does tap into some archetypal subtexts:

It's a total Lord of the Flies rip off.
It really pays out on The Flight of the Phoenix

Apart from that I'd totally forgotten that Mel Gibson gets to hit a woman in the movie. WTF! I was actually a bit shocked to remember that happened at all in the film.....

The production values on this flick are totally Hollywood and the music is very good. Considering this movie comes from an age when post-apocalypse flicks weren't all the rage it's quite a good movie and has a lot of heart for it's subject (the apocalypse).

Fallout (yes the game) can thank this film for providing a lot of influence.

A

Ashley Stafford

Why Him? 6/10...funny at points, but ultimately not worth paying to see. Better to rent or catch on a streaming service.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Mad Max-9/10

A true classic....

Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome-7/10

I can't remember how many times I've see this movie but it's not as lame as I remembered but. Some of the acting is a bit flaky in places but it's all building up to the car-chase action anyway.

As far as scripts go it certainly does tap into some archetypal subtexts:

It's a total Lord of the Flies rip off.
It really pays out on The Flight of the Phoenix

Apart from that I'd totally forgotten that Mel Gibson gets to hit a woman in the movie. WTF! I was actually a bit shocked to remember that happened at all in the film.....

The production values on this flick are totally Hollywood and the music is very good. Considering this movie comes from an age when post-apocalypse flicks weren't all the rage it's quite a good movie and has a lot of heart for it's subject (the apocalypse).

Fallout (yes the game) can thank this film for providing a lot of influence.

Mad Max: Fury Road-8/10

This is a cool rebooting of the whole Mad Max ethos as it was originally envisaged; cars, cars, more cars, car chases and battles and huge wreckage.

I saw it when it first came out at the cinema and it still looked great in 2D Blu-ray.

It really dials back into the whole Mad Max vibe but done with massive special effects and production values.

Basically this flick is a 90 minute car chase.

The visual style of some of the cars in this reminds me of an Australian cult flick from many years ago; The Cars That Ate Paris

MV5BNTVmOTdmYTktY2JmNi00YzJmLWJjNGItMjNmOWM1MDM0MjZiL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYxNjkxOQ@@._V1_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071282/

Mad Max: Fury Road was definitely worth a second look....

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Road-9/10

I've saw this flick when it originally came out at the cinema and I've had this blu-ray copy for a while but it's a film you have to be prepared to sit down and watch. It's a heavy, confronting but incredibly well done movie.

I've seen Viggo Mortensen in quite a few different roles now (who hasn't!). I thought this guy was a pretty good actor but, after seeing this flick again, I think he is a great actor. The emotional tension that he brings to his role in this film is intense and real.

It's such a well done film I would sit down and watch it again sometime...... when I'm in the right mood for apocalypse.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Man of Tai Chi-4/10

A popcorn kung fu movie made in Hong Kong, directed and starring Keeanu Reeves. Basically a Hong Kong formula kung fu flick.......

....... using all the traditional Hong Kong kung fu film devices including the traditional character who is a detective from Hong Kong police who is fighting a corrupt system.

Apart from that the whole premise for the flick is pretty much a Street Fighter clone...

If you are into martial arts (I am) the film is good for a look at different fighting styles but you need to know what to look for; other than that it's a very weak and cliched movie.

The Shaw Brothers were Hong Kong's kung fu film-making experts; you would do better to watch one of their movies.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I've watched 'the girl with all the right talents'. It's a zombie flick that stays clear of the same old gore or romero stuff. Not that anything is wrong with Romeros' zombie flicks, but it's boring when he gets copied all the time. Really liked it, the ending is great.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Lord of War-9/10

A film haven't seen for some time and I had forgotten a lot of the detail in it. It's worth it for the opening sequence alone is both brilliant and damning and the whole flick doesn't pull any punches on its subject matter but is very vicious and incisive.

Nicolas Cage does a great job of the main character.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Edge of Tomorrow-8/10

I haven't sen this movie since it was originally released. Quite a clever and semi-unique story. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise at all but when it's a decent film and film story he does o.k.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Jurassic World-7/10

Watched this on cable while I was away. I saw it when if first came out. It's a fun romp with roller-coaster action. Good visuals and it keeps to the spirit of the original(s).