New DooM game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I think the thing missing from id games currently is an engine that isn't a decade old. I'm pretty sure CoD still runs on the same engine it did when the first one was released. Because of that I keep noticing all the little bits in trailers etc where low res textures, etc look terrible.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
This game looks more promising then the disappointment that UT4 is coming out to be.

If remaking a classic is a bad idea... I really believe that adding things that players expected for is better then a community-made-with game that just adds a lot of useless mumbo jumbo to the game.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
That's the funny thing about Leo ranting. With his prehistoric computer he's probably not even able to play doom3.
Due to the lack of optimization no one was able to play Doom 3 at the time of release lol.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
^back then, yes. I remember the disappointment, though I got through it. Eventually. My comment was directed at today when some mobile phones should have enough horsepower to run the game.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
to this day I still have the original DooM collection and Duke Nukem 3D installed on my laptop.
they will probably follow me to every machine I own until the day I die. never get old. so many levels. so much mindless enjoyment.

just the best.
but I'm glad to see that they're still trying to push the franchise into the 21st century.

Reactions: NeoNite

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Indeed. Just a blast to play through.
I'm so glad Id released to source code back in the day, so we can have all this wide variety of sourceports and mods.
Look at some of these gems based on the gzdoom engine:

I really, really want to try this one asap:

This one is just insane:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I tried the game, it's... not for me I think. Something is missing, it doesn't feel like Doom. Glad steam allows refunds.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think a big part of how I feel about it is biased by Doom 3. I wasn't a big fan of the majority of the design decisions in that game.

At least with this release, I get what they were trying to do. And the carnage is real in the campaign. Imps are easily gibbed with one shotgun blast for example. When that didn't work in Doom 3, I pretty much ditched the game.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I had more problems with the placement of the imps. Many times they were crouching behind doors. The second you'd see them it would be too late. It quickly became very annoying.