DooM open beta weekend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
If you're on the PS4/Xbone grab the open beta over your marketplace, PC master race goes here http://doom.com/en-gb/beta

Open beta ends on sunday. From what I saw it's 2 MP maps and very reminiscent of Quake3 Arena.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
MooD open beta only on STAEM?

No thx.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
It's pretty normal these days for a PC game to use SteamWorks. Or Origin. Or UPlay. That last one is still a goddamn nightmare but Origin fleshed itself out. A bit. Steam rocks and for many reasons it does.

Thing is, this beta just isn't worth it. It's just for a weekend and it weighs too much for a two-map demo. Plus, it runs like a slug on very decent systems.

That, and I have no faith in Bethesda-controlled ID to make a game that'd be a worthy successor of DOOM 3, let alone the classic games. This is just not it. They're out of shape, totally. Rage was just a poorly optimized Borderlands knockoff, Wolfenstein spam continues but it's BORING the way they do it now and I've already heard voices that DOOM is a lot like Call of Duty... IRONICALLY that was the original reason of deleting whatever it was they had and restarting from scratch - because to THEM it felt like a CoD clone. Guess they can't escape the CoD virus.

Bottom line, NOT worth it. If I ever get this, it'll be probably a gift from someone or a VERY cheap Steam key.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yea...I have to agree. This is not Doom, there might be some good ideas(recycled ones at that) but it's not doom.

And why I mentioned Steam now is because I don't use it anymore for various reasons, mostly technical right now. So of course I'm glad when there's a game like ut4 which doesn't require steam...and which runs on low details for me, though I cannot run the editor...

SO yea I probbaly wouldn't be able to run this new Doom "4" thing....

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I enjoyed it.

Make no mistake, it's not like UT2003. It does have the double-jump, but it also can let you mantle ledges for the extra parkouring. You can really climb some high places and even get out of accidental falltodeath suicides.

Some notes:
- universal ammo
- 2 weapons, loadouts configure these
- no weapons on the ground except the occasional gauss rifle 'powerup'
- there's a quad damage, haste in a q3-ish form
- you get to turn into a demon. when you die this demon powerup takeover is limited on allies allowing enemies to immediately take over
- the supershotgun feels great to fire
- the plasma rifle can q4napalmgun on the floor with the secondary
- throwables include a grenade, a teleporter, and a vampire grenade.
- there are headshots
- the announcer sounds like Stephen Weyte and it's not a bad performance either. No loud UT2003 sports announcer of massive disappointment here
- performancewise it's one of the most fluid games i've ever played with not a framerate drop and the motionblur being very good in that it actually conveys more visible motion on vsynced 60hz

It's not the worst game ever. I've played far worse
the pretentious dorksaster that was rott '13 which had favorable "old school retro game's in hd gods gift to pony's" reviews somehow

I've accepted id wouldn't be making faithful followups long since 1996, so it's no "its insult to doom's it ruin doom forever" from me.

I will mention that the last two nights of the beta had aimbot cheaters finally popping up

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's a pretty bad Doom, it's maybe not a horrible game, though. It makes pretty much all of the mistakes Doom 3 made. Obviously id doesn't remember how to make a Doom game.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Exactly, nobody of the real id is left at id and it's now bethesda running the show..

*WHISRLY EYES*

HALO 3 IS AN ACTION GAME BASED ON REAL CETI ALPhA FiVE HISTORY AND HERE"S THIS GiANT EnEMY KHAAAAN AND WHAT I'LL DO IS FLIP KHAN ON HIS STARSHIp FOR mAssIVE UNIVERSAL ARMAGGEdOON KHAAAaN!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
iD isn't making the MP of Doom. The people that made Halo 3 MP is making Doom MP.
Yeah, although it isn't even nearly as fun as Halo 3 MP but maybe console people will love it... I dunno.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, right now I have a 7-year old desktop that runs UT3 and WOTs just fine and a 2.5-year old laptop that has a little trouble with WOTs. Seems the GPU might be the bottleneck for DOOM after a quick system check online with the laptop (CPU and RAM barely over recommended requirements); although, they don't have GTX 765m as a choice in the first thing that popped up in google.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
The new Doom rocks. id and Bethesda did a great job with this. Movement, weapons, monsters, maps/environments, sound...all very well done. It's no 'call of' anything; very Doom with just the right amount of 'new' to make it worth making and playing. id tech 6 is a nice engine; the environments are quite stunning. 7 hours in and just got to hell. Wow.

Of course I am talking about the single player campaign; haven't tried the MP yet. Snapmap is pretty freaking cool too. This game will be around for a while thanks to that.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
That looks somewhat better than the real game. I'm sorry but the real Doom 4 is horseshit and cringe inducing..

The setup is dumb as hell, there's transformators talking to you...etc and you get the doomguy doll which you wish would be a reference to the voodoo doll behavior of the original, but I don't think it is...

I'll rather have simba take revenge on John Romero:
http://sendvid.com/hls6nqyy

Which is an answer to https://vid.me/tukW

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
If you want to play the old games, no one is stopping you. They're terrific games on their own. Why couldn't Doom 4 possibly be?
I've watched an hour of single player footage by the devs, and this new game looked fast paced and dynamic; Doomguy didn't receive (or hardly?) falling damage, which is great. There's no reload. There are tons of monsters to fight. You can upgrade your weaponry. Not to mention the return of the automap, something I really missed out on in the previous game. And it's also brighter. I seriously like that.
Maybe a team of talented people could start working on a "hell on earth" tribute mod ? Mars is interesting, but I wouldn't mind seeing some devastated cities infested with hell spawn mixed with fiery, burning skies etc.
And I didn't mind the floaty behaviour of the player. Doom 3 had the player practically stuck to the ground. I'm sure it feels really liberating being able to jump like mad around the maps.

Reactions: Balton

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yes, those are fine points, but I just don't know what to think of the game as a whole.

It's too much of a mishmash at this point. It doesn't make me really go cringe (well i said before it did and it does on specific points) or mad like something, it just doesn't feel right.
The story is such a nonsense that hasn't been there since the plutonia experiment. In fact if anything it's more faithful to plutonia than any of the other doom games.

For those who don't know it, Plutonia was one of the two games "Final Doom" offered. Basically an expansion/new story under doom2.

No new weapons or monsters but levels (and some new textures) which had more unifying design to them than doom2, but failed short on other aspects and was targeted almost exclusively for the hardcore players, meaning tons of unfair monster fights and lots of monsters coming at you at once.

EDIT:
But there comes a confusion for me right from the bat. What does the game try to be? A movie with the title screen popping up once you finish the "intro" part?
What does the game try to be with all that menu-system popping up in the middle of action and have you select this and this upgrade...what does the game try to be with all those flashy colory things dropping out of enemies like coins out of a greed gametype...etcetera etcetera

Like it can't decide whether it wants to be realistic or not. The original Doom had a single art style binding it all together. This doesn't get anywhere close to it.

EDIT2:
Still there are apparently fun parts of this game but from what I'm seeing upon just watching random bits it takes a long while for the game to get there.

Until it gets really good...okay I'm really puzzled by this. Why does it take several hours of the game to go through the boring filler until the real thing starts? The game seems long for sure but I wouldn't get back to the game not knowing it can get that good later on...it's like a different game altogether.

Last edited: