Nostalgia

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

m00naY

May 21, 2008
Texas
I think you are right. The Cat's Eye Nebula sounds right to me.
I have no plans on changing it. I always found it amazing.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I would play ... But I don't have a computer to play it on. Tablets and smartphones but no stinking computer. Maybe one day I'll get one. I miss playing UT. Probably forgot how lol
In an alternate universe where UT is truly open source you would have found at least 3 shady bootleg gratuitous android ports of it by now. A phones-only ctf-face server would be interesting

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I think it's silly that most servers ended up blocking the warcow model. They did right? What was so hard about aiming a bit higher. And besides, the stock UT models were incredible boring. Sure, the warcow was another biped but quite different.

It's like selecting Oddjob as MP avatar in Goldeneye.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
to be fair, I also still have UT2k4 with me on my desktop.

I still enjoy a god damn good game of Onslaught with the right mutators.
such a great pass time. and I still enjoy some of the old mods.

DO YOU GUYS remember Defense Alliance? does anyone still play Death Ball? there were so many great mods for 2k4.
and it doesn't really matter that the online communities have dried up. back in the day, most UT mods were designed with bots in mind since that was still a big feature in shooters at the time. obviously bots are still nothing like playing against humans... but something as simple as having a bunch of Godlike bots jumpin' around is pretty much the next best thing. there's usually pretty great pathfinding and the maps are so original and unique. they don't create multiplayer maps like they did back during that era. everything is so convoluted and multi-leveled with multiple planes and teleporters and elevator shafts and hiding places with secret power-ups and fantastic weapons that turn flesh into giblets.

the over saturation of 'realistic' linear shooters is sad sometimes.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
That one where she did the crazy nanomachine effects was really cool.

You mean Angelmapper?

you guys are forgetting the best work Angelheart did was those realistic World War 2 maps.

1940sraf, Dasboot (another fav), Panzer and Realassault.

Almost forgot about dm-citylights. Large map, was good for teamgames.
And sunsetexpress. Very thight, and insanely fast with flak cannon only.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I had a weird thing for beachhead style maps; like beach assault, Normandy, ever since the original AS-Overlord.
fuckin' loved that map for some reason. such a nerd for World War 2 stuff.

way back in the day one of the main things I would search for all the time was maps based on that scenario. and between 99 and 2k4, there were actually a lot to go around. AS and ONS and TDM maps where you had like one big base at one end, a massive no-mans-land field of death inbetween, and a playercount of 16 or more people. I could spend hours playing those, which probably led to my love for games/mods like Day of Defeat from Half Life.