Sweeney: Microsoft wants to monopolise games development on PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Microsoft wants to monopolise games development on PC. We must fight it

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

I think this is very interesting read that could potentially affect large number of PC gamers in the future.

Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games.

Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Funnily enough Microsoft supports games on Linux more than Epic does, with a number of games published by MS for that platform, compared to the drawn-out lie that was UT3. My guess is that Microsoft's position on this will evolve when they discover that they can't lock out Steam.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Funnily enough Microsoft supports games on Linux more than Epic does, with a number of games published by MS for that platform, compared to the drawn-out lie that was UT3. My guess is that Microsoft's position on this will evolve when they discover that they can't lock out Steam.
What games does MS have for Linux? I think criticism of Epic is fair. They tied their horse to Apple/OSX who doesn't even have a computer that can run UE4 well and already does the things Microsoft is moving toward.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
MS is still locking several games into the Windows Store which is overall bad for the ecosystem. Also, the Windows Store is a pile of crap.