Putting the Unreal Back in Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I'd like to talk about the overall themes of UT now. After the first UT, I've noticed things have been getting less and less... Well, fantasyish and surreal. With UT2003/4, things really started to get rather techy. UT3 was kind of odd because Epic apparently was going through their "dark and gritty" phase. Either way though, it still really had a sci-fi theme to it. Once we got to UT3, it seemed like all elements of fantasy and wonder and surrealism kind of... Vanished from the series.

So, I'd like to point this out so we can avoid this with UT4. I think we need much more maps like DM-Pyramid and AS-Rook, theme wise. Let's get back to mixing up the times as well. In UT, you could be playing on a spaceship, one moment, and then a sort of reenactment of Normandy the next. And it was all awesome. So yeah, let's get back to mixing the fantasy with the sci-fi. Lets get back to the unreal.

Reactions: Lopar-XL

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I think the themes has disappeared for a reason.

The point of UT is it a sporting event of the future in arena and none of the weapons matched the fantasy site of things to well at all. There were some great mutators and mods for previous UT's that matched up with them.

What I want to see is a more alien world of UT which could involve some level of fantasy but not old warfare.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I would like to see a return to some of the older grungy industrial type and nighttime urban buildings with plenty of traps and falls. Arenas that Liandri acquired for cheap and converted for maximum entertainment.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I just know that UT had this mixture of industrial, fantasy, and sci-fi themes that I really loved. I notice too that a lot of the community made maps seemed to reflect this as well. Some of the best maps I've seen for the Unreal Tournament series were originally made for UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lopar-XL

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The point of UT is it a sporting event of the future in arena and none of the weapons matched the fantasy site of things to well at all. There were some great mutators and mods for previous UT's that matched up with them.

That was very clearly explain in the original UT by the fact that the broadcasters wanted funky locations for battles because it added to the drama.

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
I would agree with the OPs comment. However, the community can, of course provide the surrealism with maps and mods. I like how some of the maps in UT and UT3 had tricks, traps and other interactive bits that made the environment seem more "alive" and less like static scenery. You know what I mean?

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
UT3 had a lot of the new Krall, so it had its share of "Alien". These new Skaarj look more human though than most of the previous instances.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
These new Skaarj look more human though than most of the previous instances.
No argument there...
3484015_original.jpg

3483615_original.jpg

...but they have potential.

Better quality in this thread · https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?6789-Skaarj-Concept/page16

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
Right?! How does this guy even eat? Unreal Tournament, indeed.
I always assumed they skewered stuff on their tusks, which would hold it in front of their mouths, and ate it off there with smaller bites.
He's a lizard. He swallows it whole. :p
Skaarj aren't reptiles, exactly. Their breeding cycle suggests they're more like insects.

Repinsectile?

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
That overbite must be a huge pain in the ass.
I assume you mean in someone else's ass if he's doing the licking.

I haven't tried the new UT reboot yet but the fact that it seems to sell on Facing Worlds says it all about where the game is going. It's a classic team player map going back to the stone age. It defines a lot about UT's futuristic competition mechanic.

And how is the community map thing working out (I don't know I'm asking) for the UT reboot? Is that happening?

BigSpeck

Aug 1, 2011
The maps so far for the game look pretty good, a small amount of non sci-fi maps, but I'm not sure if it'll have the variety that 99 and 04 did of castles on alien planets, volcanoes, beaches, old worn out cities, futuristic facilities, etc. The characters so far look very bland, something a lot of video games do nowadays. Oh well, if the gameplay is good I suppose that's all that matters.