I'm a dad!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Wow!

My first child, a son was born yesterday a 3:45am. It has been a crazy 24 hours and I'm glad I actually got some sleep last night as mother and baby had to stay in the ward over night.

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask (and I'm sure the responses will happen), but as I know there are a couple of dads around here, any tips?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Got three kids, 22 down to 16. It's a roller coaster of a ride but it's also the coolest thing you will ever do and the most scary.

Best advice? Don't overthink things. You'll know what the right thing to do is so don't treat other people telling you any more than just guidance. Humans have been raising babies without an owner's manual since forever so sit back and enjoy everything. Oh and for the first year Mom is in charge of the baby. Do what she tells you because she's been prepping for this since she was a baby.

I'm glad for you. Take lots of pics and vids. The first couple of years absolutely flies. It's not an exaggeration to say it felt like just a couple of years ago mine were padding around in diapers. Now they want the car keys.

Reactions: Hunter and Al

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Don't expect much sleep for a while !
I found it best to overlap our sleeping pattern for a while, so that we could alternate feeding and cleaning, and both get a reasonable amount of sleep.
My partner tended to sleep on her back, so the food was easily accessed.

When your baby wants to suckle, but has already been fed, don't use those awful dummys/pacifyers.
You can increase your bonding time and quality, by using a knuckle. Just bend your index finger and offer the knuckle, for some peace and a big smile on your face.
If your partner is breast-feeding it will also give you some idea of the abuse her boobies will be getting.
Crikey ! they are like giant limpets once that mouth latches on.

Later when it comes to weaning onto solids, ask yourself "Do I want to create a situation of fussy eating and a table full of different meals ?".
My advice here is to put what you eat into a blender, and forget spending extra money on baby food (that does not taste like real food).

Get a baby harness so you can wear your child and have a cuddle whenever you want.
However this does come with a vomit-warning, and you are very aware of when the "fruit of your loins" has suddenly become ripe and needs a change !

Finally, that dip in the top of the head, It is not an ashtray....apparently.

Reactions: Big-Al

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
When your baby wants to suckle, but has already been fed, don't use those awful dummys/pacifyers.

This has been my argument from day zero. They make a number of things harder to do down the line.

Boy am I glad, for a moment I thought you were going for Shaban(spelling might be off but you're turkish so you'll get it ;) )

I'm not turkish. Not even close.