New DooM game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The artifacts in the multiplayer are ridicluos, those tiny pentagrams appearing etc. As if that was really scary or anthing, it has the opposite effect here im afraid.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Well, it looks fun to me! Of course it won't be perfect; what game is? There is no accounting for taste. It looks good to me and they have some of my money after the bug fixes are complete, of course.

Then again, Id are pretty reliable in not releasing games until they are truly ready. Doom 3 was flawless for me right out of the box, as was Rage. Yes, Rage needed some tweaks thanks to console limitations being put on the PC version, but that wasn't a 'bug' strictly speaking.

Bring it on!

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Except it's not even id this time around to speak of. I don't think anyone of the original team left, right?

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
The original team hasn't been together for a long time....Romero left in 96, Hall in 94, Carmack (Adrian) in 05. Doom 3 was still a blast without them and I also found Rage to be a good romp. John Carmack wasn't even really involved in game design, so from that point of view, Id hasn't had the original members making games since the mid-90's.

Anyhow...I don't really care who makes Doom as long as it's fun.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
You should at least give it a chance and play it first before completely condemning it
When the time comes;.

That's the funny thing about Leo ranting. With his prehistoric computer he's probably not even able to play doom3.

Reactions: Al

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I still have Doom beta code that came with Wolfenstein New Order, but after watching those E3 videos my enthusiasm isn't that great.
All the Doom elements are there, but somehow they don't click. Bland enemies (or overall yellowish colour scheme), double-jumping, weapons don't seem to have enough "oomph" are just few things I noticed. Also those finishers could be limited for berserk mode.
I'll reserve my final opinion after I tried out.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
That's the funny thing about Leo ranting. With his prehistoric computer he's probably not even able to play doom3.

Not everyone has the ability to afford everything they want and that tends to make people hard. Nothing funny about it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
^That's not the point I tried making ;)

p.s. my own pc is an ancient intel core 2 duo at 3ghz with 3.5 gb ram, a geforce gtx 460 all running on win xp

Reactions: Al

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Sorry Balton. I just feel bad for guys like Leo, with so much passion for the games yet being unable to act upon it. I didn't mean to sound so sanctimonious. Peace.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I still have Doom beta code that came with Wolfenstein New Order, but after watching those E3 videos my enthusiasm isn't that great.
All the Doom elements are there, but somehow they don't click. Bland enemies (or overall yellowish colour scheme), double-jumping, weapons don't seem to have enough "oomph" are just few things I noticed. Also those finishers could be limited for berserk mode.
I'll reserve my final opinion after I tried out.
That's exactly why. I'd have not a problem with it if it really clicked together, hence my comment that Doom3 was better than this basically. While it obviously takes some ideas even from the doom bible, the execution is poor.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I wasn't sold by that gameplay video. Maybe it was because the enemies didn't move around or attack much? Or was it everything looks a little flat. There was nothing in it that screamed DooM at me, more a failed attempt at it. We will have to see.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I don't think there's anything they could do that would get me to play a new Doom game.
never played Doom 3. didn't watch the Doom movie. just don't have any interest in this attempt to 'update' the classic.

I love the classic.
sometimes things should be left alone. left in posterity.

if ID wants to make a new science fiction game about fighting demons, then make a new game and call it something else.
Doom is Doom; it's supposed to be miles of mazes of terrifying corridors and countless monsters turning into chum under your barrage of epic firepower. it's not supposed to be a horror-survival-flashlight-carrying game. it's not supposed to have a story or characters or a dramatic plot to waste my time explaining, I don't care. I want to blow shit up and turn flesh into chunks of crimson paste, blasting my way around every corner, running for my life, jumping over pits of lava and acid while I search for Skeleton Keys and Secret Levels.

in the words of The Beatles, "let it fucking be."

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
But that's the entire point of this new Doom; they aren't going for a scare-fest like Doom 3 (even though I thought it was well done). Carmack said he wants "demons and shotguns".
But that's just another trap, another cliche to fall into and given what i've seen so far it's just that. yet it laks the kick or any atmosphere to speak of. The original didn't, despite having those qualities. They just can't look at it as a whole or really experience what made the old game great and that's the problem.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
But that's just another trap, another cliche to fall into and given what i've seen so far it's just that. yet it laks the kick or any atmosphere to speak of. The original didn't, despite having those qualities. They just can't look at it as a whole or really experience what made the old game great and that's the problem.

I never found the original had a great atmosphere. It's was a barebone experience that was fun because it didn't bother pretending to have this grand story you see nowadays shoehorned everywhere. This video's real problem IMHO is that it looks like D3 and has the same problems: monochrome palette, weapons lack punch and monsters feel static. They at least changed D3's problems of "Can't see anything", "2 monsters at most on the screen" and the lack of speed. On the other hand, it lost all D3's scary atmosphere (I actually really liked Doom 3).

To me it looks like an average mod.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
But that's the entire point of this new Doom; they aren't going for a scare-fest like Doom 3 (even though I thought it was well done). Carmack said he wants "demons and shotguns".
well if that's the case, that would be great.
I haven't been following the news about this new one because I assumed it would be like Doom 3 which I didn't care for.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I never found the original had a great atmosphere. It's was a barebone experience that was fun because it didn't bother pretending to have this grand story you see nowadays shoehorned everywhere. This video's real problem IMHO is that it looks like D3 and has the same problems: monochrome palette, weapons lack punch and monsters feel static. They at least changed D3's problems of "Can't see anything", "2 monsters at most on the screen" and the lack of speed. On the other hand, it lost all D3's scary atmosphere (I actually really liked Doom 3).

To me it looks like an average mod.
Perhaps not great, but it had some and the maps made sense, the more you knew about them. Sure you can pretend it's just walls and stuff but there was real atention to detail flor ikts time, all those computer panels, stadiums, control towers. It all had a purp;ose. Sadly that purpose and sense of atmosphere was completely lost in many of doom2's maps.
And it looked great on the good tech of the time. Doom still looks better on classic crt screens than modern screens where all the detail and excitement of it gets lost.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I really struggle to get through Doom 3. I have started it MANY times but I always get bored of it throwing the same tropes in your face over and over and over again as if it is supposed to make the game scary or good. It seems like they learned their lesson on that this time at least.

That being said, I just don't see how you can capture what made Doom great anymore and from that perspective I think Jacks is right. Just let the series go. I don't really see them reimagining the series like they did with Wolfenstein to nearly as good effect. There is no reason to keep trying to force the series to continue on and there is nothing specific about the series that makes it worthy of continued entries. Demons come from Hell. You kill them. Not a very deep story or very interesting character development.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Milking the legacy has been Bethesda's thing since forever. Even in 93 they wanted to milk The Terminator when they still could. All id software games from now on will be sequels to id software games and will have references to other Zenimax-owned properties as their most notable feature, without realizing what made id software great (like say... native linux support, nice optimized engine technology at launch and modular openness)