Windows 10 to be released this summer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...is-summer-in-190-countries-and-111-languages/

We continue to make great development progress and shared today that Windows 10 will be available this summer in 190 countries and 111 languages. Windows has always been global with more than 1.5 billion users around the world and here in China hundreds of millions of PCs operate Windows today. That’s why it was particularly fun to show our latest global innovation, Windows Hello, on stage for the first time, and to feature a number of Windows 10 customizations for the China market, such as Cortana in Mandarin.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Under the hood, Win10 is an vast improvement and could be worthwhile upgrade. If they only could improve that hideous, flat phone-like UI. User interface stuff usually comes in at later stages so there's still hope though.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I just read an interesting opinion on a free (as in free beer) upgrade for Windows: In the movie "I, Robot" the manufacturing company also offered a free upgrade from NS-4 to NS-5, which would regularly go online to get updates. The final update then made them go online permanently to receive orders and turn against their owners.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Think this will be when I finally get an SSD for my OS as the rest of my machine is still pretty good.
For me, this might be the first time when I might have two SSDs in my rig that I'm building. One for Windows, then the other for Steam (NOT SteamOS). I find it best to have a dedicated SSD for gaming on besides the main boot one. Although I might start off with a high-capacity SSD as in the Intel 730 SSD 480GB that I got about a month or two ago. If I feel it's necessary to have a more dedicated one for booting, I'll probably move Windows onto a smaller Samsung 850 EVO or something later on as part of the Windows 10 upgrade license or something. We'll see how that goes.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
If you say so...

Still Microsoft bumping their Win10 nagware for Win7 EVERY FUCKING MONTH despite hiding the update every time is slightly... unpleasant.
(Not to mention the lack of actual update descriptions, causing me to memorize the KB number of the offending updates.)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
If you say so...

Still Microsoft bumping their Win10 nagware for Win7 EVERY FUCKING MONTH despite hiding the update every time is slightly... unpleasant.
(Not to mention the lack of actual update descriptions, causing me to memorize the KB number of the offending updates.)
Word.

Fuck M$. I'm fine with W7.......................

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Anything new on the Win 10 license possibly being tied to the hardware you activated it on?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It absolutely is, just like previous versions. I don't know what kind of changes are going to trigger the activation thing. Hopefully they won't be buttfaces and will let you reactivate after doing minor upgrades but there has to be something that makes it not qualify as the same computer anymore (I would assume CPU/MB).

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I'm looking forward to W10. 8.1 wasn't to bad the UI was just a bit of a mess for a desktop computer, however it worked fine on a tablet. Just waiting for the upgrade to pop up next week, hopefully!

I think it'll be a motherboard change which would prompt a new activation, as you'd probably be reinstalling the OS anyway?

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
It absolutely is, just like previous versions.
Ah, see, it isn't, not here anyway. Right now the assumption is that our "free upgrade" to Win 10 converts our non hardware-tied licenses to hardware-tied ones.

Bad deal.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Ah, see, it isn't, not here anyway. Right now the assumption is that our "free upgrade" to Win 10 converts our non hardware-tied licenses to hardware-tied ones.

Bad deal.
Your previous key is tied to your hardware the instant you activate it. Microsoft is just "benevolent" and lets you keep activating it after they want you to if you bother to call them after a certain number of times. There is no precedent for what will happen with Win 10 right now, they could continue that "benevolence" or they could stop it.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Your previous key is tied to your hardware the instant you activate it. Microsoft is just "benevolent" and lets you keep activating it after they want you to if you bother to call them after a certain number of times. There is no precedent for what will happen with Win 10 right now, they could continue that "benevolence" or they could stop it.
In Germany the license is not tied to the hardware. Here there is no "benevolence" involved when MS has to activate Windows when you call them. They have to, it's the law.

The uncertainty with Win 10 is based on the wording in something MS released. The idea was that based on that, MS might try a new angle to tie the license to the hardware.

But I just found this:
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-07/...updates-support-zeitraum-und-hardwarebindung/
Based on the EULA from build 10240 there's no tying of the license to the hardware in Germany.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
While they can't enforce the hardware binding, they can enforce all Win10 updates. That's okay for security-related updates, but not for new features. Even the enterprise edition doesn't fully prevent that, you have to explicitly install a special no-updates version to be able to infinitely postpone feature updates.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
As far as licensing goes, what you guys are talking to is only limited to OEM (and probably the free upgrade) keys. Retail boxed copies of Windows have always been licensed in a way that allowed you to install it on as many successive machines as you wished; you're just supposed to not have it running on multiple machines at once, and you have to call-in to activate sometimes.

Hopefully, Windows 10 won't be changing that.