I'm thinking of getting UT3 Black from Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
I've played the PS3 version and the Xbox360 version when it came out, but I didn't have a PC I thought it would be worth playing on until now. I know it got patched to allow for it to run on Epic servers. Anyone still play? Worth installing?

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I've played the PS3 version and the Xbox360 version when it came out, but I didn't have a PC I thought it would be worth playing on until now. I know it got patched to allow for it to run on Epic servers. Anyone still play? Worth installing?

There is a lot of custom content available for PC that isn't for xbox or even ps3. There isn't a lot of server activity currently though. For numerous reasons (such as compromises to make it a cross platform compatible and difficulty to mod) the popularity has just never been there like it was with the previous iterations. I have it and still play it. I saw a little bit of a surge in players right after the UT4 announcement but not a lot and that has dwindled back down.

Is it worth it? IMO, if you get it cheap, yes.

It would be better to grab ut2k4 and ut99 IMO though. The amount of custom content available for each gives you so much more for your money and both still have very active communities with populated servers if multiplayer is what you seek.

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
Do you have any Unreal games on Steam?

I don't. I (re)purchased everything Unreal from GOG, but they don't have UT3, so I figured I'd just get it on Steam. I have almost always kept a copy of UT2k4 installed on my machine, but the servers seemed to stop working even before Gamespy went away. UT2k4 has a special place in my heart, but I really liked some of the weapons introduced in UT3, like that giant block of jello that slowed you down when you ran through it.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
but I really liked some of the weapons introduced in UT3, like that giant block of jello that slowed you down when you ran through it.

You might be the only one. :lol:

But yeah, if it's cheap, grab it. It's a good game.

Here's a duel that I saw on the Epic UT forums that make me smile (pay attention to the red guy talking smack as he is slaughtered):

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEZYr1aqq8[/m]

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
I don't. I (re)purchased everything Unreal from GOG, but they don't have UT3, so I figured I'd just get it on Steam. I have almost always kept a copy of UT2k4 installed on my machine, but the servers seemed to stop working even before Gamespy went away. UT2k4 has a special place in my heart, but I really liked some of the weapons introduced in UT3, like that giant block of jello that slowed you down when you ran through it.

There were some issues with the 2k4 master server going down on a regular basis a few years ago, but that was fixed, and I haven't noticed issues for a long time.

2k4 and UT both have good activity still. UT mostly in CTF and DM, 2k4 in TAM/Freon, Invasion and ONS. I was having a conversation about UT3 activity the other day with someone, and yeah, it's pretty far behind the other two. Almost, but not quite dead.

You can get some idea of the activity here:

UT online players
UT2004 online players
UT3 online players