No indictment - Ferguson

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
It is absolutely unreal that a month away from 2015 we are still turning this into a white vs black issue and not a "someone advanced on an officer in a hostile manner, officer responded as he was trained to" manner.

Even if this one incident were completely justified and the officer would have responded the same way to a white person, the United States has a huge problem with racism, 2014 or not. While the issue is clearest in poor, remote areas, you don't have to go all the way to Missouri to find it. I currently live in Texas, and there are restaurants in this state where black people are refused service. Throw in poverty rates, conviction rates....

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I know I tell a lot of bad jokes, but time and a place for everything and this is neither. lol.

I really want to tell you to lighten up, Francis, but I will refrain. I think most everyone who knows about the goings on in Ferguson and across the country feel angry and upset over this case for many reasons. Just as much as black folk complain every time a white person shoots a black person, many of us law abiding and reasonable whiteys get tired of being blamed for every goddamned thing that happens to black Americans.

As one distinctive example, fact is that if blacks in Ferguson want better representation in their local government and police department, they should increase their active voter ranks. Blacks across this country complain the most about a lack of representation of their color in government, yet they have abysmal numbers when it comes to participation in the system. I keep hearing how the "system" is corrupted against these folks but the refusal by millions of blacks is an individual choice and is not the result of unjust cracker interference in their lives.

This does not absolve whitey from racial bias against persons of color, but the latter has more power to live free of those chains that they think they do, if only many more would take the necessary steps to do so.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
They don't participate in the system because they aren't represented within it to start with. It's easy to be apathetic to voting if you don't believe the outcome will be any different no matter who gets in.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
How dare they not take part in selecting which wealthy person will represent corporate interests.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
How dare they not take part in selecting which wealthy person will represent corporate interests.

Wrong. Off year local elections are meant to keep politics out of these elections. These folks tend to show up for national elections to help choose a president, but fail to show for state and local off-year and mid-term elections. Local elections affect people the most, so it is puzzling as to why many Americans refuse to participate. Yet, they will be the first ones to bitch about the system.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Wrong. Off year local elections are meant to keep politics out of these elections. These folks tend to show up for national elections to help choose a president, but fail to show for state and local off-year and mid-term elections. Local elections affect people the most, so it is puzzling as to why many Americans refuse to participate. Yet, they will be the first ones to bitch about the system.
So true. We shouldn't be saying that midterms don't matter and always work the way they are working, we should say it's depressing that so many people get so hyped up about the President when the vast majority of the President's job will directly affect people once or maybe twice in their entire presidency. Local leadership matters so much more.

I really wonder what (if any) response there would have been to this case if the cop had been black all other events occurring in exactly the same manner. Would we have assumed the black officer acted according to the law in that case?

The unfortunate thing in all of this is that any good point the people protesting had about the events of Ferguson is drowned out by the dull hum of the morons that join their cause. It's hard to sympathize with people making children cry at Christmas lighting celebrations, blocking access to carousels, burning innocent people's cars and looting and burning innocent shops in various places in the country.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
In the case of Eric Garner that was caught on video, why no indictment of a white police officer that ILLEGALLY choked (choke holds were banned some 20 years ago in New York) a black man?

Please help me understand, fellow white people. Why did this black man deserve to die also? Give me your excuses.

I heard a good one from New York Republican Peter King today: He was fat.

VHMyprt.jpg

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Al, NYPD banned use internally but there is no existing law that specifically bans use of such takedown techniques.

This is a sad event in which the officers did not intend to kill or otherwise harm Garner. These cops do not chose which laws they are required to defend, and if local shops were complaining about losing sales to people like Garner, it is because the liberal NYC and NY governments impose the highest taxation on tobacco, at about $6 per pack between state and local taxes. These high taxes only hurt poor and usually minority smokers, so they turn to Garner as he provided a useful service. Right or wrong, legal or illegal, he committed a non-violent crime at worst and did not deserve to die.

It is unfortunate that the officers had no idea of his underlying conditions and his own actions made the situation worse than it needed to be. But I put the onus here on a government that imposes such ridiculous taxes on products that affect certain people the most.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Shouldn't those who supposedly abhor government and love freedom (Conservatives) be rallying to support these people who are being killed by government employees (police)?

Or is it really what most people presume it is: Race?

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Shouldn't those who supposedly abhor government and love freedom (Conservatives) be rallying to support these people who are being killed by government employees (police)?

Or is it really what most people presume it is: Race?

Many conservatives and libertarians are calling this out as government intrusion. Anyone who sees this incident with Garner's death or the shooting of Brown as racism are typically people who see racism in any action whites conduct where a black person ends up being incarcerated or killed, even when facts prove the black person to be the one at fault.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Near me some cops tasered a guy that had a heart condition and it killed him.

Should that be manslaughter?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It is absolutely unreal that a month away from 2015 we are still turning this into a white vs black issue and not a "someone advanced on an officer in a hostile manner, officer responded as he was trained to" manner.
Ferguson ended up being the wrong spark, but it was lit under the right brush.

just because the Michael Brown case didn't turn out quite like the protestors would have hoped doesn't mean there isn't a severe and very real racially-divisive issue at the heart of many similar cases. just because the Michael Brown case appears to be legitimately in favor of the police officer doesn't mean there isn't a serious pattern-of-behavior that sees law enforcement routinely exonerated over extremely questionable instances of lethal force.

there is absolutely a huge racial divide in the way our law enforcement and justice system is applied to the citizens of this country.
if you can't recognize that you're insane.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
This is a sad event in which the officers did not intend to kill or otherwise harm Garner. These cops do not chose which laws they are required to defend, and if local shops were complaining about losing sales to people like Garner, it is because the liberal NYC and NY governments impose the highest taxation on tobacco, at about $6 per pack between state and local taxes. These high taxes only hurt poor and usually minority smokers, so they turn to Garner as he provided a useful service. Right or wrong, legal or illegal, he committed a non-violent crime at worst and did not deserve to die.

It is unfortunate that the officers had no idea of his underlying conditions and his own actions made the situation worse than it needed to be. But I put the onus here on a government that imposes such ridiculous taxes on products that affect certain people the most.

I suspect that black market sales of cigs was going on before higher taxes were imposed, and would have been going on regardless of taxes because there is money to be made by illegal sales.

The guy was resisting arrest, and I have no doubt use of some sort of force was the only way he was going to be taken in based on his demeanor in the video.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I suspect that black market sales of cigs was going on before higher taxes were imposed, and would have been going on regardless of taxes because there is money to be made by illegal sales.

The guy was resisting arrest, and I have no doubt use of some sort of force was the only way he was going to be taken in based on his demeanor in the video.

I don't doubt the ongoing black market, but the exorbitant taxation on smokes in NY state and NYC creates a higher demand for this market since these taxes affect the poorer smokers the most. A pack of cigarettes in NYC is more than twice the costs of the same pack in most states. Even California, the state that has lead the way in decreasing public smoking, a pack of cigarettes is less than half the cost of the same pack in NY state.

Jacks, I agree there may still be some levels of institutional prejudice and discrimination, but departments such as NYPD see their minority officers outnumber white officers by a sizable margin.

I also agree that the Brown killing was the wrong spark. Sure, the spark itself is not as important as the need for improved race relations, but to put all the blame on law enforcement and white people is not going to help get that conversation rolling. Further insult to injury is the perpetual claim of racism in every single incident where a white person harms or kills a person of color. That is where the Martin, Brown and Garner deaths have all been used as sparks but actually have worked more to stifle race relations or discussion on the subject.

I watched a PBS special with Gwen Ifill in Ferguson back in September. She invited a well-rounded group of participants, but was amazed me the most was the lack of real conversation on the mass killing of black youths by other black youths. This is the true epidemic facing black youths, not law enforcement, yet, most black people refuse to discuss it. Any time a white person mentions this inconvenient truth, he is called a racist. Black person who bring it up are called Uncle Toms. So, how do you have an honest discourse if one side refuses to admit to any responsibility in the problems that plague their neighborhoods?

The week of the Ferguson GJ decision, CNN aired a special on how this tainted relationship with law enforcement affects black families. One single black mother was attempting to convince her teenage son to cooperate and stay calm if he is stopped by authorities. His attitude was that of, "Why do I need to be clam when he stopped me for no reason and got up all in my face?" A black journalist on FNC interviewed a classroom full of first graders in Ferguson. All the black six and seven year olds said that cops are bad people. Where in the world would these kids get this idea if their families aren't brainwashing them into believing this myth? Brainwashing may be a strong term and cannot be proven, but it might be the best descriptor in this case.

And then you have hustlers such as Sharpton acting as if Jim Crow still exists, as if blacks are shot down like dogs in the street and hanged en masse. Tell me, I ask of you sincerely, how do we have an honest dialogue when one "side" throws this crap at the other "side"?

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Resisting? Wat? For saying "don't touch me?" Ok...

Anyway, what if Eric Garner were white? Before you shout "LIBTARD LAMESTREAM MEDIA!", give it a read. It's pretty short.

The article's author makes a lot of assumptions. Facts are that a pack of smokes in Idaho is $5.25 versus $14.50 in NY, with the latter's excise tax rivaling the total costs of a pack in the former.

Basing one news channel's response is rather humorous at best, since the other networks have conveniently overlooked or buried stories on black officers shooting/killing white assailants, not to mention the killing of a Bosnian in St Louis by three black guys and one Hispanic dude, with a hammer. A hammer. A fucking hammer. There is no goddamned way you could misconstrue this killing as self-defense or an accident.