Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
More flying, couple more movies.

Frozen - 7/10
A well written and well animated family flick, but with some slightly weird pacing problems where some main characters don't seem to get the screen time that they should. The plot twists were unfortunately painfully predictable.

12 Years a Slave - 8/10
Some excellent performances and a decent enough plot, let down by sketchy direction where scenes appear out of chronological order without any context.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
X-Men: Days of Future Past (3D)-8/10

A great story despite the fact that it dragged a bit in places. Also a great ending to a story. Probably one of the , if not the best, movies to come out in this franchise. Great action and visuals.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
X-Men: Days of Future Past (3D)-8/10

A great story despite the fact that it dragged a bit in places. Also a great ending to a story. Probably one of the , if not the best, movies to come out in this franchise. Great action and visuals.

And apparently some pretty glaring plot holes if you compared the earlier films. I guess that is what happens when you have 3 different directors and numerous writers over what 7 films?

Oh well since when have plot holes ever doomed a movie to terribad status eh?.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
And apparently some pretty glaring plot holes if you compared the earlier films. I guess that is what happens when you have 3 different directors and numerous writers over what 7 films?

Oh well since when have plot holes ever doomed a movie to terribad status eh?.
Unfortunately whether these are plot holes or not can't be discussed without massive spoilers. I actually think as a story it worked pretty well; even in the context of earlier stories in the franchise.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

There is something to be said of time travel movies. I'm rarely fulfilled by them, as their endings tend to invalidate the whole story by erasing things from existence. In this case, this is Bryan Singer's vehicle to wipe the slate clean for everything that happened after X-Men 2, still the best in these series of films.

The movie turns Mystique into John Connor, making her (or her DNA) the lynchpin for a series of apocalyptic events that lead an aged Charles Xavier and Magneto, allies in an alternate future, to send Wolverine's mind back into time in the 1970s where he has to convince a young, addled Professor X to rally the X-men to save the future.

The movie is not exactly thrilling and doesn't have some of the high notes present in the otherwise safe X-men: First Class, though there is a scene stealer by Quicksilver and some much needed reappearances from characters we hardly got to see kick any ass in previous films (though fleeting).

I suppose it is fine, if convoluted. There is a character who is released from prison early on for no reason that seems to make sense, given who he is, and once freed he does nothing but make matters worse. Seeing a young, militant Mystique is a welcome change from the last movie and closer to her character. Eric and Charles still need to just get it over with and blow each other, so sorry fan girls, no lustful revelations here.

Godzilla

I was hoping for an honest to A-bomb retelling of the 1954 original, Gojira, but it became clear early on that this was more of a reboot for the Godzilla movies that came after, which is no bad thing.

This movie comes from the director of the much ignored and underrated film Monsters, and although the tone is very different the movies share the similarity in that the "monsters" play second fiddle to the turmoil experienced by human characters, trying to deal with the ramifications of a Kaiju attack. We see some imagery that recalls some 9/11 horror, and while there is no denying a huge loss of human life the movie never comes close to turning this into a popcorn flick, like what we had in Pacific Rim.

I did not think very much of the score, however, and those hoping for more screen time by the title monster have to settle for what's here. The human characters who predominate the scenes are quite lacking for the screen time that is experienced. But what we don't have is another Ferris Bueller Godzilla, and while it isn't perfect it could definitely serve as the origin story for a series of better Godzilla films...assuming they don't mess it up.

tl;dr

Both are good but not as good as Amazing Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Wild Hogs-5/10

A super-lightweight flick which is the ultimate product placement for Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Since I'm a huge fan of anything to do with cars and bikes it was a great opportunity to ogle some sweet hogs.

The missus enjoyed the movie more than me.

harley_logo.gif

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9/10

Best X-Men movie so far. All characters used feel necessary unlike other X-Men movies, Fassbender and McAvoy are great as younger Magneto / Xavier, Hugh Jackman is still perfect as Wolverine and the rest of the cast is fine aswell. The CGI for Beast and Mystique is a lot better than the older X-Men movies.

The best thing about this movie however is the story which other than being great also fixes everything done wrong in the previous X-Men movies.

The fight scenes are nothing spectacular but I don't feel like they should have been, it's more about the story than the action.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Wild Hogs-5/10

A super-lightweight flick which is the ultimate product placement for Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Since I'm a huge fan of anything to do with cars and bikes it was a great opportunity to ogle some sweet hogs.

The missus enjoyed the movie more than me.

harley_logo.gif

Yeah, this seemingly endless stream of generic, by-the-numbers buddy movies are really getting rather tiresome [no pun intended]

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Edge of Tomorrow (3D)-8.5/10

I had to think hard about giving this such a high score. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise and, in my opinion, he's only great when he's in a great film.

I was totally sucked in by this flick. I forgot I was watching Tom Cruise. I got totally engrossed in the universe; it was riveting story. Really well scripted and well paced. I know the basic idea has been done before but this story used it really well. I can't the flick out of my head.

The only minus for me was the dumb music over the end-titles that really broke the mood of the movie.... but it was well worth seeing.

The 3D was pretty good. Overwhelming visuals. Epic.

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
Iron Sky 6.5/10

I finally got to see that perhaps controversial film Iron Sky from 2012.

I recall it won some award(s) at the Berlin Film Festival didn;t it?

IMDB

I have been waiting a while I know. Worth the wait? Perhaps.
OK, yes, enjoyed as I am into sci-fi. I didn't recognize any actors :rolleyes: but all the same, I'd watch again.

6.5/10

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Rush-10/10

I have seen this film a number of times now and it continues to captivate me. It's such a great piece of motorsport history. But I'm biased as I'm a fan of motorsport.

That being said I sat the missus down in front of it last night.... she is not a fan of motorsport. She was totally engrossed in the story from the first to the last frame.

Howard said that he wanted to make a good human interest film that would be watchable for people who like motorsport and by the general audience as well.

It works. A great film.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Tropic Thunder (Extended/Uncut/Unrated Version)-9/10

I don't know how many times I've seen this flick now but it always gets some laughs. The stuff they put back into this extended version is all good stuff too (and if you look at the Blu-ray extras there was even a few more sequences they could have added).

I'm not a fan of Stiller at all but this movie has a powerhouse cast who are firing on all cylinders. The missus likes the guy and, despite the fact the film is a bit hard core in places, she laughed.

That's entertainment.

X-Men Days of Future Past 9/10

As with all time travel movies, there are plot holes (not sure if I should discuss them due to spoilers). But besides that, the movie was very well done. I'll agree that it was the best X-Men movie yet. Every scene had a point and that was refreshing to see (unlike Amazing Spoderman 2...) They didn't just throw a bunch of scenes in there to take up time.

I'll have to Google wtf was happening after the credits (always stay the credits in Marvel movies)
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/whos-guy-end-x-men-days-future-past/

Last edited: