Weapons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Having all the weapons is pointless - there's far too much overlap between weapon roles and it introduces a ton of redundancy that isn't worth the development effort.

Does it matter? If an included weapon isn't part of the established default set, it should only be able to be accessible through use of mutators. The weapons that didn't make the cut for default are there mainly for modders and for tinkering. Also, relying on mod authors to do ones work for you is an unreliable prospect. Just look at UT99, UT2004, and UT3.

There are some basic mods that I thought would have been made a long time ago for them but were never created at all. Never. And even if someone DID create an old weapon that wasn't included in the base game, there's no guarantee that it will be done well at ALL. In fact, chances are, it will be mediocre.

I can also understand workload. I really can, but since these are weapons that are NOT expected to be used in competitive play, they don't have to be balanced at all, so that alone takes a load off. Epic looks very positive that they can fund this game with their current model and they've given NO indication that this UT will be any different in quality and size. I didn't come up with their pricing model and personally would have been more than willing to shell out $60 for another Unreal Tournament, assuming it would be up to snuff.

But they don't want to do that, and that's perfectly fine. I will, however, still expect the same amount of work and time to go into this UT because they've given me no indication that it should be otherwise. Many other AAA studios have made and fully balanced a lot more weapons than UT's standard 12 or so (Bungie, Free Radical, etc.) and all while fully delivering on everything else. So, please don't tell me it can't be done. And not only THAT, you guys have already written the engine (really good work BTW), so that's all out of the way too.

Having said all that though, if I'm missing something here, please point it out to me. I'm not trying to be a selfish snob. I just see awesome possible potential.

Last edited:

Veggie_D

May 1, 2013
2: Link Gun (starting weapon)

Link Gun was the best option to move into this slot due to it's use and behavior. In regular deathmatch, it is still a basic rapid firing weapon at heart, though usually not favoured over other weapons due to lower reliability at range. At closer quarters it does become considerably more dangerous - which is what you surely want in a starting weapon, as it encourages a bit of aggression. Additionally, the weapon has good applications in team games thanks to the linking ability, allowing newly spawned and disadvantaged players to 'gang up' on better equipped aggressors. In certain team games (AS/VCTF/ONS/WAR) is has already been included in almost every spawn point weapon locker anyway due to the ability to heal vehicles, nodes and potentially objectives.

Link Gun (Start)

I like ambershee's idea for the LG being a start weapon. I originally had the Assault Rifle in the slot but it just seems redundant.

Primary functions the same as UT3 but the linking feature would work the way it did in UT2004. In UT3 the linking feature is not utilized as much as it should be. Most often when you try to link with another player by moving next to them they move away from you. Changing to the UT2004 style will provide better visual feedback to players and also allows for linking to be done from safe areas (e.g. from around the tree at the central node in Primeval.) Also it sounds really cool when the sound effect decreases in pitch when additional links are made.

Secondary is slightly less accurate as the beam wanders until you get a hit.

These ideas and arguments in particular are excellent.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
The original sniper rifle (From UT), the shock rifle and the super shock rifle (enhanced shock rifle). Those are the only weapons I am concerned with.

Gotta have a translocator that isn't handicapped.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
I don't know what to say about the weaponry; I mean Something arround 12 - 25 guns but I'm not sure about that.
I often play when it comes with stock weapons with chaos UT mostly in UT 2004
The thing is that UT99 had the original unreal stuff since it was supposed to be its extension before being stand alone ....

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[webm]http://ut.raxxy.com/e4299a2fa5_flak.weapon.fire_nick.movement.600.maxwalk.to.800.webm[/webm]

Here is a video of the Flak prototype.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
[webm]http://ut.raxxy.com/e4299a2fa5_flak.weapon.fire_nick.movement.600.maxwalk.to.800.webm[/webm]

Here is a video of the Flak prototype.

Flak needs to go faster. Also, not that it matter really, but the flak trails need to be shortened a lot too. I really didn't like the long trails they had in UT2003/4

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It definitely needs tweaking, but it's pretty cool they already have a prototype in the game.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'd have though they'd have more done by now, but I guess it depends how they implement it. Basic weapon prototypes take barely any time at all in UE4. Someone here could probably do an entire weapon set over a heavy weekend if they wanted to.

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, honestly you could have all the weapons in the game in a day or two. Must still be talking a lot internally, or possibly just slowly leaking things out to prevent people from going nuts on the forums about how fast the initial prototypes are coming along.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd have though they'd have more done by now, but I guess it depends how they implement it. Basic weapon prototypes take barely any time at all in UE4. Someone here could probably do an entire weapon set over a heavy weekend if they wanted to.
They are building out a bunch of C++ classes and a framework for adding them. I think they might also be prepping it for the 4.2 release which will supposedly have a better method for weapon blueprints.

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
Flak needs to go faster. Also, not that it matter really, but the flak trails need to be shortened a lot too. I really didn't like the long trails they had in UT2003/4

i totally agree flak canon primary should be hot metal chunks like original ut

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Dynamic Lights

UT3 also used a generic light flashing when a pawn fired a weapon. I hope this can be addressed with directional lighting effects.

The UT3 Link Gun primary also had no dynamic light attached, while in UT2004 it did.

A Flak Chunk consists of nine projectiles, how about adding dynamic lights to them all?)

Although lighting the entire path of a beam weapon would probably break a lot of frames, why not leave it as an option?

Other Topics

Are there options for team-colored projectiles/effects?
- I'm not asking because I necessarily want the option, but decoupling things is generally a good approach.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
1. Chainsaw
Chainsaw headshots FTW! Then again there should be more melee weapons ala UC2.

5. Linkgun
It should link (not boosting, nor damaging) to teammates even if they're not wielding one.

6. Ripper
It's always nice to add random chaos to the levels. Helping newbs getting few frags, before the inevitable self-decapitation!

9. RL (UT1 style)

0. Lighting gun
No one likes invisible snipers, plus the arcing is cool.

I would also like to see the Hydra make a comeback. That it one of my favourite weapons in any game. A working grenade launcher with multiple warheads! Having some new weapons wouldn't hurt wither.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
1. Enforcers -- UT1 style

2. Have both the SR and LG available -- both camps are happy.

0. Lighting gun
No one likes invisible snipers, plus the arcing is cool.

UT3 Sniper Rifle took care of the camping problem with its tracer. For me, the UT3 Sniper was far superior to the LG and had a better feel and sound to it.