Your Favourite Egyptian Unreal Map?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
It's no surprise this thread was going to be created. From the original Unreal Tournament, maps with Egyptian architecture and feel have made it into the final build of most games within the series.

My question is which map you've had the most fun with and why? You can only pick one map and it must have an Egyptian feel to it. A picture from the Liandri Archives should help also. This should be relatively easy, since most Egyptian maps have statues of Anubis and other deities.

My choice:

DOM-Suntemple.gif

The Sun Temple

I've had quite a few matches in this arena. It's fantastic to look at and even has sand in two areas of the map with sound effects to compliment. The pad in the middle allows you to get into the action quickly and the song is also very cool to listen to. It's a domination map, so the action is plenty, but focused.

Your choice?

Special thanks to Kaithofis for the animated GIFs.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Ah, SunTemple, quite a map I must say. I like it very much.

But I am partial to what, I think, is the best map in UT2003 and the best Face incarnation, CTF-Face3.

It's gorgeous, it's much more interesting to play than normal Face, and it features the only egyptian theme music which I find interesting. I have spent untold hours on this map, and it never ceases to awe me. Back in the UT2003 days, it was my benchmark, but it wasn't until years later than I was able to play it with all details on, at which point I discovered the glorious pre-baked lighting on the sand, the sun-like decorations on the ground and much more.

Face3.gif

Those were the days.
Its skybox is wonderful. The other structures in the distance and the unending grey clouds under it made me feel like it was part of something larger. I like to imagine my fellow players were scoring and fragging on these distant towers.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Never been that much of a fan of Egyptian themed maps. But Ctf-horus used to be sort of fun.
And Dm-Tihocan was a nice 1on1 map iirc. Both for the first UT game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm pretty sure my favorite Egyptian themed map is going to come from UC2, but I can't remember what it is called. It's challenging because they are almost all Egyptian themed :p

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Face3.gif

Those were the days.
Its skybox is wonderful. The other structures in the distance and the unending grey clouds under it made me feel like it was part of something larger. I like to imagine my fellow players were scoring and fragging on these distant towers.

I actually enjoyed this incarnation of Facing Worlds. The pyramid in the middle didn't allow for multiple kills within a short space of time. And the layout of the level itself was much better. With the sniper floors being wider and allowing for greater movement when being sniped yourself.

I remember standing on the platform above the flag room and waiting for somebody to take it. Then I would use the rocket launcher to finish them off.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Not that it matters anymore, but it should be official and not from the mod community. Any Egyptian map from a UT game.

Eh... DOM-Sesmar. Besides that, none actually, unless you count DM-Horizon from UC2 which is much more sci-fi than Egyptian. UT2003-UT2004 kept trying to do that sci-fi theme for the old egyptian maps that I feel just really clashed hard.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
UT2003-UT2004 kept trying to do that sci-fi theme for the old egyptian maps that I feel just really clashed hard.

I liked it a lot. I felt it was both original and well made, I liked both the levels, the textures and meshes, and the characters. UC2 took it to the extreme and I loved the idea. To me the Anuban/Nakhti experiment was a great success :)

NRG: agreed for DM-DE-Osiris2. My first contact with Unreal Engine 2 was in this level on Unreal Championship. Great map, though very simple.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Definitely DM-Osiris or BR-Anubis.

The bombing run Anubis map in UT2003 wasn't very good in my opinion. It had a linear feel to it and didn't allow for much strategy when it came to moving the ball. There were side passages present, but you would often get intercepted, or run into a dead end before getting shot by an enemy opponent.

As for the Osiris map, I haven't played it myself. I checked on the Liandri Archives and it appears that it was a console exclusive map.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
The bombing run Anubis map in UT2003 wasn't very good in my opinion. It had a linear feel to it and didn't allow for much strategy when it came to moving the ball. There were side passages present, but you would often get intercepted, or run into a dead end before getting shot by an enemy opponent.
This is why I liked it. It needed a coordinated team effort to overwhelm the other team, not just one guy who can be a hero or sneak around. It made goals lest frequent and more rewarding.

As for the Osiris map, I haven't played it myself. I checked on the Liandri Archives and it appears that it was a console exclusive map.
It was made by DE for Unreal Champsionship and shipped with UT2K4. It was frequently played in TAM.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
That is osiris2 then. The original osiris was indeed in the PS2 version. The map is also avaiable for download now for the pc, btw. Check the dreamcast maps thread etc.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
This is why I liked it. It needed a coordinated team effort to overwhelm the other team, not just one guy who can be a hero or sneak around. It made goals lest frequent and more rewarding.

I've only played it with bots and didn't enjoy most of the matches played. With real players, it might have been a different story, then again I remember the difficulty level being slightly higher than average. Overall, I liked the architecture and found it excellent to look at.