So, who will stop using Firefox?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Now that Mozilla has a new CEO that is supposedly anti-gay - will you stop using Firefox and Thunderbird to show your support for the gay community?

Or will you continue to be a homophobic Mozilla user?

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Is this 1st April troll? How gayness or anti gayness changes his coding skills.
You scream for tolerance then when some person dares to think differently you do not tolerate him. And you go even further you do not tolerate product of many people because their CEO has different view of gay people than you.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Have been on Chrome for a while. Firefox got too memory hungry and became sluggish. Probably fixed now but use FF only for testing web sites.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I don't see why someone's beliefs should make someone else stop using their products/services/etc if they aren't being forced on you by using it.

Is this 1st April troll? How gayness or anti gayness changes his coding skills.
You scream for tolerance then when some person dares to think differently you do not tolerate him. And you go even further you do not tolerate product of many people because their CEO has different view of gay people than you.
Can't tell if you guys are falling for it or if you're pulling off Prank Inception.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I'm not sure it is a prank. It started yesterday, and it's not the kind of thing you'd pull.
Even if the Mozilla thing is true, I'm talking about the two falling for Wormbos satire/sarcasm. He even added nice little blue subscript. Or are they just fooling me by sounding more serious? If the Mozilla thing is real, that just means the Prankception is one prank deeper. Prankception.

We need to make it to the 5th level people, come on. There we can plant the subconscious seed for LGBT acceptance.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
For those who didn't figure out yet: News sites spread that website "OkCupid" started showing a message to Firefox users before showing the actual site content. The message tells Firefox users to consider their choice of browsers, because the new Mozilla CEO (Brendan Eich) opposes gay marriage and donated $1000 towards California's Proposition 8 back then, which was supposed to ban gay marriage.

If this is supposed to be an April fool's joke, it may well be among the worst I've seen. And even if it's not, do you really have to put political wight into your choice of browser usage just because there may be a few people with unpopular opinions in the organization that works on it? I bet there are employees in Google, Microsoft, Opera, etc. that don't have a high opinion on gay marriage either.
Would you include the corresponding company CEO's opinions when you buy a car? Or a newspaper? Or milk?

IMHO it's a relatively stupid move to connect a person's private opinions to an organization's public presentation and even to the usage of their products, especially if the company doesn't imply such connection in any way or even explicitly state it. Eich may be dumb for opposing gay marriage, but then again, the US is so very fond of its freedom of speech. Also, it's seems to be common practice to donate money to either voting option in elections, people really have spend money for worse purposes than a proposition that eventually didn't succeed.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
There is no prank afoot. The new CEO of Mozilla was appointed and he did contribute to Prop 8. Mozilla is primarily funded by Google anyway, and they keep Google as the default search engine for that reason. I consider that an ethical compromise, and I wonder what else they’ve compromised on.

Opera and Safari are running Webkit which Google largely developed. Internet Explorer and Safari are of course owned by Microsoft and Apple, respectively. Every major browser has multiple ties to companies which cause harm to people in one way or another. Using the “free and open” Internet means supporting infrastructure owned by evil companies.

If you want perfect moral comfort you should move to the wilderness, build your own home, live off the land, and start your own local internet. And of course let me know where all of this is happening so I can join.

Last edited:

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
I'm not homophobic. I say live and let live. That being said, I'll continue using Firefox, as it hasn't given me problems as of yet. Just like I'll continue using my car, even though Henry Ford was an anti-semitic.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
If you want perfect moral comfort you should move to the wilderness, build your own home, live off the land, and start your own local internet.

This. The new CEO of mozilla may be a jackoff, but I used firefox long before he took the position and won't be changing that any time soon.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Walking out to the pool at Mandalay Bay some years ago, I passed by a hot tub full of guys. Two other guys were walking by as well and in the gayest voice I have ever heard, one said to the other, "Look honey, it's fag stew." It took all the strength I could muster to keep a straight face, no pun intended.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
This is the stupidest thing I have heard in 6 weeks.

Imagine if people supportive of gay rights were blocked from using Firefox, there would be an outrage.

Minorities have more power than the majority do, Foucault is not a dork. "Victims", with a progressive attitude you can do whatever you like.

How come it's ok to support gay rights but not oppose them, there is reasons, it doesn't mean you are a horrible person.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Way ahead of you. Years ago I switched to a browser that doesn't try to pull fast ones on the interface through design-by-committee (in other words, the last browser of its kind) - no regrets - especially after that CEO.

However, rather than a protest for stopping the use of Firefox (which I already had done back when Firefox changed to 'copy Google Chrome's look and development cycle'), how about all websites stop using Javascript? That would do the world so much better.

Last edited:

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
For those who didn't figure out yet: News sites spread that website "OkCupid" started showing a message to Firefox users before showing the actual site content. The message tells Firefox users to consider their choice of browsers, because the new Mozilla CEO (Brendan Eich) opposes gay marriage and donated $1000 towards California's Proposition 8 back then, which was supposed to ban gay marriage.

If this is supposed to be an April fool's joke, it may well be among the worst I've seen. And even if it's not, do you really have to put political wight into your choice of browser usage just because there may be a few people with unpopular opinions in the organization that works on it? I bet there are employees in Google, Microsoft, Opera, etc. that don't have a high opinion on gay marriage either.
Would you include the corresponding company CEO's opinions when you buy a car? Or a newspaper? Or milk?

IMHO it's a relatively stupid move to connect a person's private opinions to an organization's public presentation and even to the usage of their products, especially if the company doesn't imply such connection in any way or even explicitly state it. Eich may be dumb for opposing gay marriage, but then again, the US is so very fond of its freedom of speech. Also, it's seems to be common practice to donate money to either voting option in elections, people really have spend money for worse purposes than a proposition that eventually didn't succeed.

I dunno, I probably will be less inclined to support a company or buy its products when I know the 'leader' is anti-______ (insert whatever cause I believe in)

Quite probably, as was mentioned here, this CEO went out of his way to help fund Prop 8. Why can't I do the same and not help fund his company? It's not the same if you have some bigoted employees working at the company compared to the head bigot who runs the company, imo. Those head bigots, in turn, put nimrods into office with their support too. We need less nimrods.