Unreal Championship 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This one time, Brizz said he would send me a copy of UC2. I never did see that copy of UC2. Maybe he'll still send it to me one day. I can dream.
True story, that copy of UC2 is STILL in my work bag to take it to the post office. Ooops!

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
UC2 is *fantastic*. Whether or not it should have had the 'Unreal' title is debatable, since it veers so far from the other games in some ways, but it's a fantastic game. It could have been better (some of the maps aren't great, it has too few user definable options, and two of the game modes aren't too enjoyable, etc) but it's still a great game, even today, and I play it every so often.

The game performs terribly, with low framerates and a lot of other general stutter too.

To you, maybe, but to me it's fine. Maybe you're just used to a fast PC, and newer consoles, where a frame-rate would walk all over UC2's frame-rate, but to call it terrible is a huge exaggeration. Otherwise the game wouldn't have been so popular, would it? If you want to see worse frame-rates than UC2, look at first person shooters on the N64, for example. But even there they are perfectly playable.

I think it's the same CPU bottleneck you see in the rest of the UE2.X Unreal games when you start piling on the bots, only it's 100x more apparent on the crippleware console.

Why insult a machine that others love? Personally, I play (and love) PC *and* console games, and don't feel the need to criticise either. Some people still love the Atari 2600 (and there are even new games being written for it by fans), but I wouldn't play on it, and don't see the attraction of the machine, but I wouldn't belittle it. I don't feel the need to either criticise other people's choice of gaming platform, or to boost my own ego by bigging up my games machines.

UC2 saw the xbox over-extended beyond it's limits, they should have released it as a launch title for the 360 instead. This might have also helped it get the attention it deserved, instead of becoming one of the most underrated console games in existence.

No, it was fine on the XBox. True, it would have made a great XBox 360 game too, but if they'd changed nothing else, then it would have been the same game, with just a faster frame-rate and a higher resolution, and would not have played any better (or worse) than on the original XBox.

I do really wish it had come out on the PC, though, as (a) I think every good game should be available to all gamers, and (b) on the PC it would have received some fantastic stuff from the modding community.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UC2 was pushing the limits of what the original Xbox could handle no doubt. I don't remember it not running well, though, I haven't played it on the Xbox for years.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
It never ran well in large maps with high player counts. I would notice it even back in 2005 when I was far less discerning about these things. It's not really surprising given the hardware. I guess the 360 performance makes sense too - the game isn't multithreaded, so it's still effectively one weak core with the additional overhead from the emulation.

To you, maybe, but to me it's fine. Maybe you're just used to a fast PC, and newer consoles, where a frame-rate would walk all over UC2's frame-rate, but to call it terrible is a huge exaggeration. Otherwise the game wouldn't have been so popular, would it?

Even if it weren't a logical fallacy, I fail to see how an argument from popularity is appropriate here. You think it's a great game, I think it's a great game, but it was hardly a shining example of mass popularity. Like I said, it's about as underrated as they come.

Why insult a machine that others love? Personally, I play (and love) PC *and* console games, and don't feel the need to criticise either. Some people still love the Atari 2600 (and there are even new games being written for it by fans), but I wouldn't play on it, and don't see the attraction of the machine, but I wouldn't belittle it. I don't feel the need to either criticise other people's choice of gaming platform, or to boost my own ego by bigging up my games machines.

I got a great deal of enjoyment out of the xbox playing UC2, but I won't hesitate to call it out on it's flaws. I'd certainly never become emotionally invested in it and act insulted on it's behalf. It's just such absurdity that is the root of all fanboyism.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Does anyone here have all of the following:

1) UC2.
2) NTSC Xbox 360 capable of playing it (BC).
3) A monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping or at least a 'maintain aspect' mode that can preserve 4:3 content?
I have all of those except for 3). I only have (only, hehehe) a 1080p TV.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Actually, I've got an UC2 copy that says NTSC, but I was able to run it on PAL Xbox 360.

Yeah, I never understood NTSC vs PAL labeling on console games that all render at the same base res and framerates.

The idiots even imposed some artificial limitation on the original Xbox so that units from several regions couldn't enable the 'HD' resolutions even with the 'High-Definition AV Pack'. I had to hack mine to change the region.