Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug 8.5/10

Better than the first, still a bit boring in some places. Didn't know why they added Legolas, scenes with Gandalf which are not in the book where good. Cumberbatch does a great job as the voice of Smaug.

I'll second this.

The Hobbit-The Desolation of Smaug-8.5/10

Spectacular. Don't miss it.

Jobs-6/10

This flick left me a bit flat. Maybe it would have been better if I had not been watching it on a hand-held screen on an international plane flight but I found it pretty weak and average in places.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 6/10

On paper I should have hated this - massive anachronisms and implausibilities - character, dialogue, technology.

Somehow, I managed to enjoy the action. Very much a "park your brain at the door" film.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Whiteout 6/10

Surprisingly enjoyable thriller.

47 Ronin 7/10

The first half of the film is almost unbearably slow (long tracking shots of hiking across the mountains worked for LotR but not here) but things pick up nicely in the second half with a fine finale.

The film looks good without ever matching the best Chinese epics.

The script has some annoying ticks (e.g. whenever a Japanese word that should be known to the audience [e.g. Ronin] is used, an English translation is immediately and unnecessarily given).

Commercially, the film has been a disaster. It's not good enough to justify a USD 200m budget but it isn't anywhere near as bad as the audience reception (or indifference) would suggest.

I've just added a half mark for the avoidance of an easy ending.

The Hobbit-The Desolation of Smaug (IMAX 3D) -7/10

Much better that no. 1 - it's still too long but it is, for the most part, a very enjoyable and thrilling ride. Everything in the dragon's lair was fantastic entertainment. The dragon was very well realised -
the moment where the dwarves lit the furnaces and there was a brief shot with the dragon in the background and you could see a puzzled "what's going on here?" look on the dragon's face was indicative of the attention to detail in those scenes.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
The Spectacular Now - 9/10

Lacks all the glamour and visual perfection of most other films of the same category, this is a good thing. It makes the story seem much more plausable and everything about it feels genuine and real. There are no unrealistic characters, the lead acting and their supporting cast plays normal people, nothing over the top.

Soundtrack is good, all technical stuff is done well. If I'd have to point out things I didn't like, I'd say there could be more dialogue between the main characters and their parents but that is just nitpicking.

Kept me interested the whole way even though the pacing was slow.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Short Term 12 - 9/10

One of the most pleasant indies I've ever had the pleasure of watching. The acting in this was some of the most genuine and heartfelt I've ever seen. Kept me glued to the screen for sure. But don't take my word for it. 99% on RT!

The Spectacular Now - 9/10

Next on my list.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
American Hustle 8/10

For what is a fantastically entertaining film, gifted with some very fine performances, I was surprise just how often I caught myself glancing at my watch to check the time.

Definitely a must-see film but a little more rigour in the editing suite could have seen it reach classic status.

Fans of Amy Adams will be delighted. Fans of Amy Adams acting, even more so - really an exceptional performance that stands out in a group of excellent performances.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

8/10 - It's a fun, fast-paced movie, though I get tired of these movies where everything goes impossibly perfect for the hero; however, a plus: it's not Matt Damon this time!

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
Lone Survivor

8.5/10 - It's a sad, but fast-paced movie, where everything goes impossibly wrong for the heroes; however, a negative: it's got Mark Wahlberg!

;)

Her

I went into this knowing only that it was a Spike Jonze movie. Somewhat of a science fiction/drama movie set in a not-too-distant future where people in a first world metropolis are gentle and interface dependent. Nearly every background passerby in most scenes of the film are in mid-conversation with some kind of device attached to their persons. Everyone is plugged in and toothless, the meanest attitudes we see are either in the bitter parting dialogue between ex lovers or from the foul mouth of a videogame mushroom child that coaxes players with profainity. Consider one scene where the protagonist (distraught over something) trips on the sidewalk, prompting about every nearby person on a busy city street to stop what they are doing and ask if he is all right with genuine concern. Sound far fetched?

The main character is a lonely writer who scribes personal cards for people who have no tongue for intimacy. The irony is not only that it fills him with fleeting fulfillment but that he pines through the personal life histories of happy people who cannot express themselves to their soul mates. He finds the words they cannot and goes home wanting, unable to discover their secret. We watch him fumble through dates that don't end well and endure through awkward bedside cyber sexing. He eventually updates his OS with a new state-of-the-art AI, picks a female personality for it, and before long he carries her around in his pocket wherever he goes. They develop a relationship. At first our guy is shy about telling his friends about his new girlfriend, but when prodded for particulars the reactions most people have for his situation is that it is strangely normal. Apparently other people have done it too and we get the impression that this sort of thing is beyond the scope of taboo or even ridicule. The only character that seems to find it strange is his ex-wife, for reasons we would expect from any ex-wife.

There is a very high level of respect and care for the obvious target audience and for those people who have endured years of romantic exile without a physical partner, perhaps celibate aside what interaction there is to be granted to them by a keystroke. It could have very easily been the other kind of brainless Hollywood "concept" film where the story pries into something off the beaten path of mainstream but doesn't seem to comprehend it behind having a plot device. If this movie gets anything, it's that. What it doesn't comprehend, however, is what people are like when relationships work. And that becomes the movie, of course. What it is teased about a science fiction dissection of the contemporary culture of tomorrow becomes window dressing.

The meat of the film is dedicated to "the relationship" between a man and a voice. What doesn't work for me, unfortunately, is the critical mistake of the director putting his focus on his own warped perceptions of femininity and his slant on the whole man/woman thing. All you have to do is watch all of Spike Jonze's other movies to get an idea of what I'm talking about and what to expect. Infidelity, failed marriage, attraction doomed to fail, and introverted pairings. It was okay in Being John Malkovich because it was a quirky movie about other things. It was okay in Adaptation for mostly the same reasons, and Where The Wild Things Are was about a child born from parents who fell out of love and the result of those effects on his imagination (kids can't fix grown-up problems).

Here, it distracts from the big picture. Or perhaps it is more correct to say that by the end, the big picture is the introverted love affair that betrays its running time by not saying anything new on the subject of love from this storyteller. Watching it I just felt that this is the one that needed a grown-up driving the car. It's really too bad the film is hijacked by the very clear and obvious lack of understanding for anything close to what a stable relationship looks and smells like, and we don't believe it when the movie tries to prove otherwise by showing superficial flashbacks and poor examples of happy people in the subplot. The lie here is that this is smarter than the romantic comedy when it is merely an alternate viewpoint representing a subculture films are generally ignorant of, and that is Her's true strength. The ending leaves you with nothing because lonely people don't know how to not be lonely. What is there to impart are things you should already know; that technology won't necessarily make you happier. It will make life easier, no doubt. But it is very easy to get lost in loneliness the safer you are to dwell on it. Our guy will repeat the same mistakes. And that's a shame because in the end it's just a couple of really interesting ideas about what might be from someone who watched a lot of Star Trek growing up and maybe hoped nobody else did.

Pacific Rim

Big mech suits battle giant monsters. There's lots of punching of faces through buildings and things asplode a lot. I liked it.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Jolson Story-7.5/10

While not entirely historically accurate to the guy's life the performances in this flick (made in 1946) are great and the music is terrific. An incredible performer and an incredible life.......

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Jolson Story-7.5/10

While not entirely historically accurate to the guy's life the performances in this flick (made in 1946) are great and the music is terrific. An incredible performer and an incredible life.......

Jolson Sings Again-6.5/10

This sequel ends up being quite a surreal story after the first film for this reason:

In this sequel, the story reaches the point in Jolson's life where the film of his life is to be made (first film: The Jolson Story), and in preparation for the film Jolson meets the actor who is to portray him. In what is probably a cinema first, Parks plays both Jolson and himself (the young Larry Parks) as they meet in a split-screen scene.

So, in other words, it ends up being a film about the making of the first film. Quite a bizarre concept for Hollywood; particularly in those days (1949).

I can say this though; the music is fabulous, Jolson's singing performances for both films are superb (Jolson sang the songs and Parks mimed the lip sync) and Larry Parks is a great Jolson imitator.

Rock 'n' roll!

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
47 Ronin 7/10

The first half of the film is almost unbearably slow (long tracking shots of hiking across the mountains worked for LotR but not here) but things pick up nicely in the second half with a fine finale.

The film looks good without ever matching the best Chinese epics.

The script has some annoying ticks (e.g. whenever a Japanese word that should be known to the audience [e.g. Ronin] is used, an English translation is immediately and unnecessarily given).

Commercially, the film has been a disaster. It's not good enough to justify a USD 200m budget but it isn't anywhere near as bad as the audience reception (or indifference) would suggest.

I've just added a half mark for the avoidance of an easy ending.

47 Ronin (3D)-6/10

Pros:

A great story from the history of Japan.

Good visuals and music.

The Japanese cast stole the film from Reeves.

Cons:

Keeanu Reeves is not a good enough actor to carry a story of this gravity. I'm sure he was put in the film because the producers needed a big name Western face to sell the movie and try and recoup some of the bloated budget.

The 3D was so average as not to be used at all much.

Yes; it was unbelievably slow in places.

Overall this film was incredibly average and such a great story deserved a better film treatment. It's not going to sell mountains of popcorn; that's for sure.......

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Dead Snow

8/10
After Walking Dead took a shit on undead films and made us think that they all are boring, we see that this is how it is done. Evil Dead 2 plus Cabin in the Woods, plus a few awesome ideas - this is a great movie. Accolades to all involved!

It's okay Skold, you can say it. We're all friends here. You thought The Fifth Element was a perfect movie until the black guy showed up, amirite ;) ?

I thought Dead Snow was fine for a weekend, but a pretty silly zombie movie. All the best scenes were just fan service from better horror movies and the hilarity of zombies dressed as Nazis just didn't really go anywhere beyond...well zombies dressed as nazis. I'll agree that the Walking Dead has been pretty useless for zombie fiction, but you should watch films like The Revenant. More refreshing take on zombies and just a better movie than Dead Snow.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
It's okay Skold, you can say it. We're all friends here. You thought The Fifth Element was a perfect movie until the black guy showed up, amirite ;) ?

i liked him!

tumblr_mq3bslUkCV1re0c97o1_400.gif

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Captain Phillips - 9/10

Intense! This one had my heart pounding and I loved every second of it. Ending scene was probably the best acting of Tom Hank's career. I also thought the nurse was damn good and later found out that she's a real navy nurse.