CliffyB wants to make a PC exclusive arena shooter

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Shouldn't this be moved to the Games section?

OT: Thank goodness. We have been screaming for a good sequel to UT for a while now since that release of UT3: Console Edition that we got.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
I dont expect very much really.

I know a lot of people irl who are all tired with modern games but instead of looking at getting indie games they just dont really bother anymore? There is a lot of apathy in the group of people who are/were into competitive shooters.

Personally I had my greatest online gaming time with red orchestra 1. The reasons for that were simple, it was fairly balanced but both sides had different strengths, great maps and weapons that were quite distinguishable and yet most of them felt powerful.

These days games have bad support for a true competitive scene and most of the weapons feel the same with pretty much every gun being a automatic or a sniper or whatever. Remember how varied the guns were in UT? I want that back.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
OT: Thank goodness. We have been screaming for a good sequel to UT for a while now since that release of UT3: Console Edition that we got.

We have? I don't know about you but I was pretty bored with arena shooters by about 2007 and there will still plenty of popular ones around back then. Y'know, when you play a certain kind of game for 10+ years, it tends to get old.

I personally don't think very many people care about arena shooters anymore.

Apr 11, 2006
Still longing for a good modern arena shooter.

I honestly see very little difference between what COD has evolved into and arena shooters. Although I don't think it's good for the gameplay, it wouldn't be difficult to incorporate perks and levelling and unlocks in a game like UT. It could even be done in such a way that it wouldn't be terrible. (Add a LAN/Tournament mode to disable such a thing.) I actually think CounterStrike Global Offensive is moving in a really good direction towards popularizing hardcore multiplayer PC shooters again.

Although the one thing a UT game will never have is the shared cultural fantasy of being in some kind of real military unit, with real guns, real settings, etc. I honestly think this is a huge part of why the biggest shooters are COD and Battlefield, and not Quake, UT, Halo, etc.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok. How about bringing back to adventure genre ?

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
We have? I don't know about you but I was pretty bored with arena shooters by about 2007 and there will still plenty of popular ones around back then. Y'know, when you play a certain kind of game for 10+ years, it tends to get old.

Word. I was ready for some UT3 action, but we all know what happened with that. So, I went singleplayer. No regrets.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Although the one thing a UT game will never have is the shared careultural fantasy of being in some kind of real military unit, with real guns, real settings, etc. I honestly think this is a huge part of why the biggest shooters are COD and Battlefield, and not Quake, UT, Halo, etc.

I think this is right on. Arena shooters really encourage cowboy gameplay. In today's popular games you don't get far without a squad. It allows for a greater variety of play styles. My favorite game right now (Planetside) takes full advantage of this. The RPG nerds still feel at home playing support and logistics while the FPS veterans duke it out in fast paced close combat. The game is only fun because it's the first time you feel a part of a real completely player controlled army with a role for everyone.

The challenge for arena shooters is creating that type of team instead of the "get the tank!" Style we had in 2004.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'd be optimistic about it - to the very least attempt to be. Let's say it's hard to achieve after he left the VG industry for 2 weeks before his return, claiming it's not for grown ups.

Then I quote from him:

a lot of these kids playing Call of Duty, I don't think they know what a proper arena shooter is.

A true Gym Rat comment. But please enlighten us, better not disappoint.

I say bring it on. CliffyB has said some douchey things during his Gears of War days, but PC games is where he started out so he obviously has some affection for it. I guess we'll see. The trouble is, seasoned veterans of the genre are so fucking anal-retentive that it'll be almost impossible to actually please the niche audience he'll be aiming for. So good luck with that, I guess.

You really need to innovate down the line. Give a sense of progression and avoid adding cheap mechanics. If you pull this off you may get similar results to TF2. I insist F2P isn't a bad approach if done properly.

Veterans are not even close to 30% of your entire consumer base. There's no point aiming for them specifically, just make the better of 2 worlds.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Still, a niche game can be very successful, and there are enough people out there to make it work. Tribes: Ascend demonstrated that pretty well - they just blew it pretty fucking hard with their post-release handling of the project.

Apr 11, 2006
I enjoyed Tribes: Ascend a lot in some respects, but I felt like most of the maps were bad, most of the classes and additional weapons were bad, and it was often impossible to intercept a really high speed flag carrier. (Though in a competitive setting both teams would hold onto each other's flags, so the real challenge comes not from grabbing the enemy flag but from returning your own.) Most of these issues could've been resolved by removing most of the extraneous nonsense and just playing Pathfinder + Spinfuzor only.

Does that align with common perceptions of the failure of Tribes: Ascend?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Also, screwing up the scoring on CAH really sucked.

Does that align with common perceptions of the failure of Tribes: Ascend?

Not really. There were a few classes that needed tweaking and a few weapons that needed nerfing - or at least rebalancing - a little. Some of the maps weren't great, but they worked. The game was solid, ran well and had some great ideas and features.

Fundamentally, T:A was still one of the best speed shooters of the last decade. It got killed by some horrific commercial (and to a lesser extend design) decisions by a developer that genuinely appeared to not give a damn.

Until Hi-Rez get over their chronic ADHD and actually stick with a project, I doubt anyone will give them a second though, especially where FPS games are concerned.

Last edited:

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
I'm very loath to agree with this point, as I still pointlessly cling on to the hope that there are more people that do out there, but I do. I agree.

The thing is, recently, I've seen a lot of people hand in their modern shooters back to the game store after only a little while since its release, all saying the same thing, "It's just more of the same."

Personally, I think if anything, arena shooters can make a comeback if they just push hard enough. If they manage to bring more of an interesting spin on their gameplay like the original UT had done back in the day, I really think arena shooters could become interesting again.

Capt.Toilet said:
To add to this glorious glorious turn of events. Activision has ever been so keen to announce CoD made a billion dollars in xx amount of days since I believe MW2 was released. For Ghosts? NOTHING. Only article is one that came out a week or so after release that mentioned it sold a billion dollars to retailers. Not the same thing Activision so stop spinning it like it is.
Amen.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm very loath to agree with this point, as I still pointlessly cling on to the hope that there are more people that do out there, but I do. I agree.

The thing is, recently, I've seen a lot of people hand in their modern shooters back to the game store after only a little while since its release, all saying the same thing, "It's just more of the same."

Yeah. It's definitely possible that the right game could revive the genre. But it would need to be something extremely good to do that. I don't even know what that game would look like :eek:

Personally, I think if anything, arena shooters can make a comeback if they just push hard enough. If they manage to bring more of an interesting spin on their gameplay like the original UT had done back in the day, I really think arena shooters could become interesting again.

See, this is actually what bothers me. If the industry is going to try to revive arena shooters that's great - but if they do it in such a way that it's forced down our throats like most other AAA genres/franchises today, then I am simply going to tune out.

These days I mostly play indie titles that provide interesting or long-term gameplay, like Starbound, Space Engineers, and Project Zomboid. The games themsevles are awesome, but what I love most about them is that there is not a $20-million-dollar ad campaign behind them. Word of mouth is best, and if you make something right, word will spread.

Last edited:

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
See, this is actually what bothers me. If the industry is going to try to revive arena shooters that's great - but if they do it in such a way that it's forced down our throats like most other AAA genres/franchises today, then I am simply going to tune out.

These days I mostly play indie titles that provide interesting or long-term gameplay, like Starbound, Space Engineers, and Project Zomboid. The games themsevles are awesome, but what I love most about them is that there is not a $20-million-dollar ad campaign behind them. Word of mouth is best, and if you make something right, word will spread.

Of course, I understand that - I'm by no means saying that they should go all out on advertising, what I mean by push hard enough is by pushing the envelope on design and development, which when looking at recent titles is.. Something we haven't seen for a long time.

As far as getting the word out goes, I'd say maybe a Kickstarter, maybe a post or two on Reddit, and once the game is ready, perhaps have a go at Steam Greenlight?

But it's like you said - it has to be a damn good game. And I don't think that's exactly impossible. You just need the right people behind it.
With what indies are dreaming up these days I'm sure the right person will show up eventually.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
He's everywhere...watching us, yet he never engages anymore. DarkPulse.
But he's still wrong...

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Cobalt Vanu FTW

Speaking of which, does anyone remember where he is from? Cuz I think I ran across him in Planetside. If that's not him, then he should totally start playing. He'd love it.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?members/dark-pulse.31219/

I tell my Planetside 2 outfit all the time to "get the Tank!!1" and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

What server does he play on? I'm always in the mood to shoot more NC. The thought of ramming the barrel of an SVA down his throat is pretty appealing ;)

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Have they fixed any of the performance issues with that game? I thought it was an ok game, but the need to restart it every half hour because your FPS went to shit causing you to not hit anything sucked bawls. I may just be inclined to reinstall that one again.

The PC NEEDS a new exclusive shooter. The state of PC gaming right now is soooo soooo horrid. There's nothing worthwhile in the way of a mp game. COD and BF4 can suckle mah bawls...