Ten Years eXpanded MultiPlayer: A view back and a little surprise :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
My token has expired? Wtf is this kind of od security? I went for a walk and then wanted to finish writing and it tells me I have to reload? After I spent ages writing the post and i cannot do copy/paste? All those security measures everywhere are starting to really get on my nerves. I mean it.
I was saying......and I really don't feel like rewriting all this, that I am glad to see there is a rework on the way, but I also said that I heard there was another one in making an another thing is the question whether Epic would allow this if it had Unreal name in it..also I wanted to suggest to keep some things optional like the mentioned carrying artifact instead of auto return. When I played Metroid Prime Hunters I noticed they had this kind of thing optional. And I also wanted to suggest perhaps alternative gametype more based on the original xmp game that was meant to be with Unreal 2 but was droppe halfway through 2002 due to decision to not compete with ut2003. Perhaps a variant with some of that implemented or the artifacts scattered through the map instead of being at the nodes to make it less like CTF?

Saiboat

Apr 14, 2004
My token has expired? Wtf is this kind of od security? I went for a walk and then wanted to finish writing and it tells me I have to reload? After I spent ages writing the post and i cannot do copy/paste? All those security measures everywhere are starting to really get on my nerves. I mean it.
I was saying......and I really don't feel like rewriting all this, that I am glad to see there is a rework on the way, but I also said that I heard there was another one in making an another thing is the question whether Epic would allow this if it had Unreal name in it..also I wanted to suggest to keep some things optional like the mentioned carrying artifact instead of auto return. When I played Metroid Prime Hunters I noticed they had this kind of thing optional. And I also wanted to suggest perhaps alternative gametype more based on the original xmp game that was meant to be with Unreal 2 but was droppe halfway through 2002 due to decision to not compete with ut2003. Perhaps a variant with some of that implemented or the artifacts scattered through the map instead of being at the nodes to make it less like CTF?

Sorry to hear about your original post being lost.

We are having the orignal XMP plans in mind, but we want to first recreate the standard XMP mode as it was released in U2XMP because that will require less time and effort to do, unlike coming up with something that has not been done before and would require a lot of additional testing and experimenting.

We are not going to release it with the XMP name and are of course not using any XMP assets. Someone already said naming it a spritual successor would already be infringing on copyright which is a bummer :(

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Even naming it a spiritual succesor would be copyright infringhtemnt? I don't really think so though. There was UDK game which said to be a spiritual sucessor to arena shooters mentioning UT and Quake and it didn't get sued...besides afaik the XMP/unreal 2 stuff in specific was under Atari copyright stuff and Atari/Infogrames is gone now. So even reusing XMP in name might not violate anything but perhaps check in with that with someone who has actually say on it rather than people speculating.

RememberXMP

Jan 9, 2010
I wish you the best of luck, but please don't further tarnish XMP's name any further than it has been. Sure, it would be great to be able to play XMP competitively again, like in the old days of Jolt/Clanbase (R.I.P. to both). At the same time, I think we can all agree that the last thing XMP needs is a repeat of certain parts of its history. XMP was never the same after Achilles/Subvertio was caught cheating in an official Clanbase match, and FMI served only to drive the nails further into XMP's coffin by producing UT:XMP and dividing the community.

R.I.P. U2:XMP.

PS - Trying to show off your 1337 XMP "skill" by using cheats didn't help things either.
mutate setteamenergy 1 10000 or smth,
mutate setstaminachargerate 100 and
mutate setskillchargerate 100

Attachments

• A black cloud over XMP.png
    A black cloud over XMP.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 21

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I wish you the best of luck, but please don't further tarnish XMP's name any further than it has been. Sure, it would be great to be able to play XMP competitively again, like in the old days of Jolt/Clanbase (R.I.P. to both). At the same time, I think we can all agree that the last thing XMP needs is a repeat of certain parts of its history. XMP was never the same after Achilles/Subvertio was caught cheating in an official Clanbase match, and FMI served only to drive the nails further into XMP's coffin by producing UT:XMP and dividing the community.

R.I.P. U2:XMP.

PS - Trying to show off your 1337 XMP "skill" by using cheats didn't help things either.
What's your problem? He used a mutator to execute those cheats, it wasn't really a hack or cheat and he admitted to it, it just removed the limits so he could show off the movements. Why are you posting posts like this? Trying to dig up some old war and agenda? I don't get it.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Sounds like U2XMP suffered Quakeworld syndrome.

Cheats made a 'standard', player numbers dwindling due to it, and constant failed 'revivals' to get people to play against their high 'skilled' (as in picmip, brightskins) selves. and of course, the only players left to play with are in Europe...which isn't really ping balanced with the larger potential audience.

not to mention fake playercounts on most servers to try and gauge interest with faux popularity

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Fake playercounts? Have you ever played U2XMP? There are no bots, there is a bot mod but it was unfinished and isn't currently compatible. The players on u2xmp are real, if you see fakes it's probably due to a server bug and the list not being refreshed correctly, this sometimes happens before the server crashes for some reason in my experience or with some odd reboot.

In that case it isn't intentional. If you played UTXMP there are bots but the game has different feel/balance overall so it's not really the same thing. And also for u2xmp there were only few security mods ever developed and none of them were finished, so that is another factor to the "hacking" and cheating. I did myself experience few players hacking, having fire of rate slightly higher/aimbots, but those few couldn't ruin the game for me and if so I joined another server where they weren't.

Last edited:

Saiboat

Apr 14, 2004
Leo, leilei is talking about the ability to just name yourself whatever you want and there is no way of recognizing who you are playing against.

All these issues, and also cheating, would be greatly minimized if we got this game on Steam :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Leo, leilei is talking about the ability to just name yourself whatever you want and there is no way of recognizing who you are playing against.

All these issues, and also cheating, would be greatly minimized if we got this game on Steam :p
Actually I was usually able to fnd out who i am playing against based on his behavior/color/ping etc, but not everyone can do that, or not everyone has acess to the server log seeing who is who by ip. But tbh I don't like the forcing one nick per player thing at all and I thought leilei wasn't talking about that.

Captain_Tea

Jan 22, 2008
Very nice, I can't wait to see more of UDK:XMP :D. I was just downloading the old U2XMP community edition for old times sake.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Looks cool so far. I am interested.

UTXMP didn't really split the community. U2XMP was already dwindling by the time it came out. Also, UTXMP was far less buggy in the end and it would have just been better for everyone to marshal behind it instead of sticking to U2XMP forever (and I loved U2XMP).