[Star Citizen] Is anyone else getting extremely stoked for this game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
In the 90's space sims and FPS were what make PCs godly to me. Then the 2000s happened and space sims were gone.

Anyway, this game is going to be the new benchmark game for PCs. The system requirements are pretty steep for today.

[m]http://vimeo.com/73365240[/m]

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I wouldn't say 'stoked', but I will still buy and play the fuck out of this game - I miss a good space game. I think the last one I really enjoyed was Freelancer, and that was nearly a decade ago now!

The hardware requirements probably aren't that bad given it has a year to go until release...

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I wouldn't say 'stoked', but I will still buy and play the fuck out of this game - I miss a good space game. I think the last one I really enjoyed was Freelancer, and that was nearly a decade ago now!

The hardware requirements probably aren't that bad given it has a year to go until release...

Freelancer was nice but this game will have to live up to Conflict Freespace1 +2

at least to me :)

if this game is a combination of freelancer's ability to free roam and freespaces' mission design I'll be very interested.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I'm pretty excited for this game. It has some fundamental mechanics that I absolutely love to see in games. It will also have oculus rift support, which means I have to buy it.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
oh you mean like Mass Effect? :B

no but seriously.
whatever happened to the X-Wing / Tie Fighter series? I used to love those games and you're right, they just stopped making em'.

I guess Lucasarts decided that those games were too nitch and that younger generations found them too hard, so they made more broad audience exceptable games call the Rogue Squadron series. These were fun, and I especially liked 2 and 3, but they were nowhere near as fun as the X-Wing Series.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I would be looking forward to this game... If it was going to be released sooner than 2014. Dang.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I pledged $65 this morning to the game, so I can play around with the alpha stuff and dogfighting in December. I expect bugs galore, but it will be cool being able to give feedback about the balance of the ships etc.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm interested, but I'm also highly skeptical. The information and community I've seen so far is incredibly inward looking. I question their ability to effectively balance a pvp environment, and deal with people outside of their dedicated core supporters. For instance, there's going to be a dogfighting beta, and yet there done an incredibly poor job at communicating this, and using it to drive more sales. I'm afraid it's going to fit into the most frustrating category of games, ones with awesome ideas that have trouble with implementation.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I'm interested, but I'm also highly skeptical. The information and community I've seen so far is incredibly inward looking. I question their ability to effectively balance a pvp environment, and deal with people outside of their dedicated core supporters. For instance, there's going to be a dogfighting beta, and yet there done an incredibly poor job at communicating this, and using it to drive more sales. I'm afraid it's going to fit into the most frustrating category of games, ones with awesome ideas that have trouble with implementation.

Yeah, but it's also the largest crowd funded game. We will have to wait and see. This guy made the Wing Commander series. Those were popular games back then too. What it comes down to is they already know their audience. The Summerfag generation isn't going to be interested in this came because it's not a rail shooter, or harder than the Rogue Squadron series. Summerfags like to keep the action simple. Therefore, the target audience is the people that played all the Wing Commander and Freelancer games back in the 90s. Fuck the youngins.

I sit in my ship in my hanger and make ship noises. I add pew-pew sounds as well. It's fun. Should be a great game.

You fucking know this!

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah, but it's also the largest crowd funded game. We will have to wait and see. This guy made the Wing Commander series. Those were popular games back then too. What it comes down to is they already know their audience. The Summerfag generation isn't going to be interested in this came because it's not a rail shooter, or harder than the Rogue Squadron series. Summerfags like to keep the action simple. Therefore, the target audience is the people that played all the Wing Commander and Freelancer games back in the 90s. Fuck the youngins.

You fucking know this!

It's not the summerfags I'm worried about. It's the neckbeards. I've seen this specifically with MechWarrior Online and Planetside 2.

MechWarrior Online was developed in the same crowd sourced way. The beta was incredibly inward looking, and full of battletech die hards. The developer lacked the ability to see through the bubble, and made endless bad balancing decisions. Eventually they made moves to expand the audience which led to even worse decisions, and all out revolts.

In Planetside you got the odd combination of competitive FPS gamers, and hardcore rpg WoW types. This led to numerous direction issues where performance gameplay tossed out favor of new content that just made things worse.

In both cases the problems were compounded by weak developers. The question is will the dev be strong enough to ignore the inherent biases from its base in order to make a fun and balanced multiplayer? So far all the info I've seen is more about masturbating over the concept itself. With alpha a week off, I'd expect to see some indication that fighting will actually be fun.

That said my PlanetSide outfit exeoutfit.com will be playing it. So if I see the right stuff when dogfighting is released, I'll buy in.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
It's not the summerfags I'm worried about. It's the neckbeards. I've seen this specifically with MechWarrior Online and Planetside 2.

MechWarrior Online was developed in the same crowd sourced way. The beta was incredibly inward looking, and full of battletech die hards. The developer lacked the ability to see through the bubble, and made endless bad balancing decisions. Eventually they made moves to expand the audience which led to even worse decisions, and all out revolts.

In Planetside you got the odd combination of competitive FPS gamers, and hardcore rpg WoW types. This led to numerous direction issues where performance gameplay tossed out favor of new content that just made things worse.

In both cases the problems were compounded by weak developers. The question is will the dev be strong enough to ignore the inherent biases from its base in order to make a fun and balanced multiplayer? So far all the info I've seen is more about masturbating over the concept itself. With alpha a week off, I'd expect to see some indication that fighting will actually be fun.

That said my PlanetSide outfit exeoutfit.com will be playing it. So if I see the right stuff when dogfighting is released, I'll buy in.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but we will see. If the single player game is fun (and I'm sure it will be) I won't be that let down if the MMO side is bad. We will have to wait and see.

Admiral Lilwall

Nov 30, 2013
Absolutely! I've been a huge fan of the Wing Commander series since it it first came out, and space sims in general. It's not easy to find a good one any more these days.

Hoping Mr Roberts can pull this off :D

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Well, they've put out more media this past week that shows it will certainly look nice. The hud is pretty awesome. Just worried about losing out on an alpha slot. May have to buy in soon.

I would buy in now. You get the game for the price of the buy in and get to play the alpha/give feedback to make the game better. There's no reason to wait.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I am not, in no small part due to the downright unhealthy talk-to-content ratio going on at the mo.

I'm very cynical when timetables start slipping en masse.
It's only been a third of a year since the Hangar module was supposed to have been launched.

Last edited: