Tencent owns 48% of Epic Games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Remember back in July when Tencent brought that 'minority' stake in Epic Games?

Well it turns out it's not so small. Tencent recently released their annual results for their year which ended at the which reveals the stake they own in Epic stands at 48.4%, a $330,000,000 investment in the company. It also shows that Tencent have the ability to nominate directors to the board.

Does this explain some recent departures?

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
I wouldn't doubt for a minute that some of the departures might have had something to do with the changing power structure at Epic Games. It would be unrealistic to think that everyone would be ok with it. At the same time, I'm sure each of them had other compelling reasons to leave as well.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Then is 100% for sure no more unreal nor ut with those old people, i dont like to see intruders inside Epic that did not develope/live and played the Unreal series games....wow I see more darker their future

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hmm ... do the Chinese like the original UT ?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Doesn't look too good and that really could be logical explanation for recent departures. Having control or say over Unreal Engine is something ..well, desirable for lots of companies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Coincidentaly some IP adress from China has been downloading old unreal related stuff from our site yesterday. We wondered wtf is it about but now this news is in, perhaps it's someone from them?

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
All your shares are belong to us!
:lol:
But, we chinese UT/Unreal/UE fans/users don't like it too!
We love the way Epic is and hope they continue doing great gaming technology and shooter games.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/947042-Chinese-company-secures-48-of-Epic-shares

Yeah, it is shocking to know Epic couldn't resist this time.:(

M^uL

Nov 16, 2009
Coincidentaly some IP adress from China has been downloading old unreal related stuff from our site yesterday. We wondered wtf is it about but now this news is in, perhaps it's someone from them?

Nope, just a cyber attack. :D

M^uL

Nov 16, 2009
:lol:
But, we chinese UT/Unreal/UE fans/users don't like it too!
We love the way Epic is and hope they continue doing great gaming technology and shooter games.

Keep spreading the good word over there MF and keep making kicka$$ maps!

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Epic was sold out and the big names left to form their own companies. They made their monies, now they go do their thing.

Epic is epic history. Was a fun ride guys, bye and good luck.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
With all the key players leaving Epic, there won't be anything left for Tencent to use. :lol:

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
EPIC's next game has to make over a billion in profit. Gaming has equalled or bettered the motion picture industry. I would be concerned about someone taking control of the company and run it into the ground, like we've seen other developers go. EPIC needs to make their next kickass game. and no it can't be gears, Fortnight, etc, gotta be that newtech UE engine 4 game ready for the next tide of PC technology.