Strange Banding Issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I'm having a problem with characters casting a strange shadow band on the ground. Please see the following video: http://youtu.be/Pha4Zi2cgWI

Watch it in HD and pay attention to the sand dune area on the left. Look carefully and you will see faint horizontal bands moving with the characters. Does anyone know what is causing this? I've reset all the settings in UT2004 and the Nvidia CP, and it's still happening.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
in some maps I see it as a box under the characters. Example of shape/size:
hgCdSFS.png

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
You don't think it could be related to this?

SOVMiCq.jpg

(you can see the transparent part of the transparency)

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Maybe it just has to do with the engine or the lighting on certain maps. Whatever, does it really bother you that much? Has that always been there or you just never noticed it before?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I just tested it in the exact same map and spot as your video shows and I see the exact same thing. I guess it just has to do with the engine and/or maps.

Edit: Just tested it with the setting "projectors" off and it took the shadows off the characters but also stopped doing that really faint shadow. For some reason the "Character Shadows" option doesn't do anything for me, even if I set it to none.

Projectors: Projectors covers a range of images projected onto textures, such as shadows from characters and objects (like tree shadows) and Decals (see above). The noticeable effects of unticking this option include removal of such shadows and decals, even if Character Shadows are enabled and the Decals option is ticked. Only untick Projectors if you really need a few extra FPS, as it makes things look fairly unrealistic.

Edit2: Had to restart the match for my character shadow settings to take effect. Anyways, with Projectors on and everything to max but with character shadows off I don't see it, but with shadows on full or blob I see it, so it obviously has to do with how the engine handles shadows and/or how the map has its lighting set up. Guess you'll just have to live with it.

Last edited:

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I just tested it in the exact same map and spot as your video shows and I see the exact same thing. I guess it just has to do with the engine and/or maps.

Edit: Just tested it with the setting "projectors" off and it took the shadows off the characters but also stopped doing that really faint shadow. For some reason the "Character Shadows" option doesn't do anything for me, even if I set it to none.

Edit2: Had to restart the match for my character shadow settings to take effect. Anyways, with Projectors on and everything to max but with character shadows off I don't see it, but with shadows on full or blob I see it, so it obviously has to do with how the engine handles shadows and/or how the map has its lighting set up. Guess you'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for that.

Well this is weird. I've just been rolling back through drivers, all the way to 258.96 and the issue is still very present. I'm certain that it hasn't always been there - the sheer number of hours I've put into this game, and I only start noticing it now? Impossible. Maybe the last couple of installs I could have missed it as I didn't really end up playing much. And the last serious UT2004 binge I had was on a plasma, so it's likely that this could have got lost in all the line bleed etc.

But still, every time I install it I go straight to that Face map to scrutinise everything and make sure that I've configured the game properly. I've tried a bunch of other maps just now, and I could see the effect in most of them. In Primeval for example, it's also very obvious. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time in Primeval over the years (due to it being a staple of the only low ping server I could find in my area) and I can't believe that I would never have seen this before.

I suspect some driver change must be to blame, but rolling back further than 258.96 is impractical as it will render other games unplayable.

Were you using an Nvidia or AMD GPU?

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Nvidia, but tbh I think it has probably been like that the whole time, it's just that once you see, it's impossible to unsee, and these days it's a lot easier to first notice it with everything on max detail and with high resolution LCDs.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
The banding's worse in Killing Floor. Sadly I believe this is the cause of combine blending functions with gamma causing precision loss. It was a great idea in the Geforce2 era (overbrights in a window!) but sadly it's not holding up with the demand for image quality these days.

Last edited: