Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I can't get into Skyrim anymore.

It was tough for me too after two months spent playing vanilla (and even then I didn't get everything done.) Fortunately, the Dawnguard DLC and the assortment of mods I've installed have made the game somewhat fresh again.

Haven't bit yet. Waiting for Bethesda to quit being stupid butts and release a damn game of the year for a good discount.

Don't bother waiting; just get it now, it's worth it. Bethesda is still making tons of money on Skyrim and it's DLCs, and all of the DLCs aren't even out yet. If you absolutely must wait for a Game of the Year edition I fear you will be waiting for a very long time. Not only that, Bethesda is about to roll out a new 'Premium Edition' that is kinda similar to a GOTY edition but without any of the DLCs; extras are in the form of collectibles and merch, aka Collectors' Edition content.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Stopped playing this since April

Skeptically waiting what kind of stuff Bethesda will spit into Fallout 4, and Obsidian is not going to make anymore a better version of it afterwards.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Stopped playing this since April

I'd take another look; a lot of things have changed in the Skyrim world since then.

Skeptically waiting what kind of stuff Bethesda will spit into Fallout 4, and Obsidian is not going to make anymore a better version of it afterwards.

Eh, Bethesda just recently finished Dishonored and they are currently working on Prey 2 (which is expected sometime in 2013.) Bethesda does tend to have two on-going projects at the same time, so it is entirely possible that development has started on Fallout 4 by now.

Still, it's likely to be in development for a year at the very least, and as we're getting near the end of 2012 ... Fallout 4 probably won't see the light of day until 2014. It'll likely be a next-gen title too, as popular opinion forecasts the next Xbox coming in time for Christmas 2013.

Of course, that's all just speculation ;)

In any case, there's going to be a thousand new games out between now and then. I'd start putting money into your 'new rig' piggy bank pretty soon. It's always good to be prepared :D

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Arkane Studios made Dishonored, Bethesda just published it! :p
Though surprisingly Dishonored was the first Bethesda published game that I really freaking loved, definitely my GOTY this year and I'm going to grab all the DLCs for it.

Last edited:

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Also Prey 2 is being developed by Human Head Studios. Just FYI, there's a very useful site called Wikipedia where you can check this (and other) stuff, DarkED. Just sayin'.

I recently finished the main quest of Skyrim, but I still boot it up every now and then to explore, finish side quests, have some fun with mods (thankfully Bethesda knows that user-generated content extends the life-span of their games and keep them fresh) and play the DLCs (just started Dawnguard, waiting for Dragonborn, Hearthfire is just meh)

Regarding Fallout 4, here's my unnecessary two cents: I'm a huge 3D Fallout fan (unfortunately I didn't play the Interplay Fallouts and I think it's too late to try and bear with their super archaic game mechanics) and it has always been a wet dream of mine having Bethesda and Obsidian co-developing Fallout 4, bringing us a game with a ridiculously huge game world and combining the sheer fun that Fallout 3 provided and a story and dialogue comparable to New Vegas'.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I didn't start playing the game solidly again after the Dawnguard DLC came out but the new DLC looks like it is going to be quite massive so I'm looking forward to diving into the world again.

Fallout 4? Bring it on..........

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I didn't start playing the game solidly again after the Dawnguard DLC came out but the new DLC looks like it is going to be quite massive so I'm looking forward to diving into the world again.

Fallout 4? Bring it on..........

Yes, please.

+1

I'm hoping it's not going to be Fallout: Online. I'd much rather get another singleplayer Fallout game.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Fallout Online is probably coming after ZeniMax Online Studios is done with TES Online. Bethesda Softworks only knows how to deliver SP RPG's and it's the only thing they should do.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I can't get into Skyrim anymore.
I haven't played it much in recent months after getting the Dawnguard DLC. I thought I would pick it up again before getting the Dragonborn DLC.

Rather than doing the Dawngurd quests I am now still finding new locations after hundreds of hours of playing this game.

This game just keeps on giving... and the hi-res textures they made available make it look even better. It looks fantastic as a matter of fact.

It totally rocks and I'm back into the Elder Scrolls universe totally now.

I am really looking forward to the Dragonborn DLC now. I must buy it when I get paid. :)

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I've also stopped playing Skyrim. it was hard enough getting to the level cap, let alone completing all the side quests... let alone finishing the main story. and I'll likely never play it again, because my problem with Skyrim can't really be resolved. it's a fundamental part of the games design. the combat system.

I just hate the combat. all the cool DLC and fan-made content in the world won't fix that. or hasn't yet, that I've seen. Skyrim combat is horrendously naive. it's so utterly simple and shallow that it just becomes tedious and boring. and I've heard people agree with me but say that "oh this only applies to melee combat. be a Mage and use powerful spells, then it's awesome."

no fuck that.
the game gave me the options. they said pick between a Warrior or Archer/Rogue or Mage. and I chose warrior/archer because I like melee combat and heavy armor and massive battle axes. but god damn is it boring. there is literally no depth to melee combat. aside from fighting dragons, every instance of combat in the entire game is virtually the same thing... especially for a warrior who focuses on 2-handed weapons.

encounter the enemy from a distance, crouch up a little closer, fire off a few arrows get some sneak attack critical hits, bust out the war axe or battle hammer and start swinging away. which even - in and of itself - sounds like in-depth combat. but it's not. you guys know what I'm talking about.

you just stand there and smash the mouse.
swing the axe one way. swing it the other. hold down the mouse and swing it a little harder. there's just nothing to it. no OOMPH, no PUNCH, no sense of urgency or danger or strategy.

I dunno.
it's terrible.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I agree here. Something different from Bethesda please.

No, that's the entire point. I don't want something different (which would likely be Fallout Online at this point.)

If they made another Fallout game that was in exactly the same vein as Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but it used an updated (maybe Skyrim's?) engine, I'd be perfectly happy with it.

... On Battle Systems ...

You make valid points, but to be fair I don't care for melee combat in most games. Is there any game that ever has done melee combat well?

Also to be fair, there are complete-rebalance mods that make all forms of combat much more interesting.

Keep in mind that you're free to forget sneak shots even exist. Y'know, roleplay a little. That's what is so great about Skyrim. If you're edged-weapon-guy, don't pull out the bow. If you're an archer, don't pull out an edged weapon unless it's a dagger of some kind. If you're a mage, well... you've got lots of carrying capacity and you never need a torch :D Or you can roll all three, but it takes longer to become better at it.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Is there any game that ever has done melee combat well?
well 99% of games with combat revolve around guns.
but yes there are some which do melee combat well and/or much more enjoyably than Skyrim.

- Mount & Blade is perhaps the best example, by far.
- Assassin's Creed 1 (just 1; not 2 or Brohood or Revel or 3) actually had a great melee combat system. it was brutal and much more difficult than all subsequent games in the series.
- Dragon Age Origins did a good job with melee too.
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is also an outstanding example of doing melee right. if Skyrim was 100% the same, but with Chivalry combat, it would be the best game ever made hands down.

there are complete-rebalance mods that make all forms of combat much more interesting.
I know there are.
and I've tried most of them. Skyrim Redone included. they only make combat more difficult and place more importance on pre-fight preparation. they don't actually make combat any more interesting or layered. there's still just 2-dimensions. a little slashing, a little blocking, virtually no moving.

Keep in mind that you're free to forget sneak shots even exist. Y'know, roleplay a little. That's what is so great about Skyrim. If you're edged-weapon-guy, don't pull out the bow.
no that's stupid.
I'm a big boy. I'll play how I want :p

they offered me a range of styles and I like to play hybrid warrior/rogue.
I shouldn't be penalized or punished for my gameplay choices just because they failed to craft a robust system around all 3 styles.