What are you playing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I've always enjoyed playing with everyone on this forum, but it seems lately I've just been out of sync with everyone. Perhaps we can all find some middle ground or something. Post the multiplayer games you are currently playing.

Planetside 2: I have 100 hours logged on this game now. In my opinion, it is the greatest team based shooter since UT2004.

MechWarrior Online: Amazing game. Highly strategic, extremely team oriented. Getting together with friends over teamspeak is an absolute must. I will probably join a competitive clan for this one (which I haven't done in years).

Reactions: [P@!N]

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2.

I currently just passed 200 hours in Borderlands 2. I have about 20 other games I want to play through, including Dishonored and Assassin's Creed 3 but I just can't get enough Borderlands 2....

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
MechWarrior Online is the only online game I'm playing.

I am kind of getting sick of it, though; almost every match devolves into "Who has the most ECM mechs?" and that's no fun. It seems there's a fair bit of HHoD guys who feel the same way. I'm building a Dragon 1N gunboat to compensate but it's not powerful enough yet. I need 5 million c-creds to buy an XL engine so I can fit more weaponry.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
TF2 with the occasional Killing Floor or single player game.

Tried to get into Planetside 2 because it seems okay once you start getting around the initial confusion but I never really feel like playing it.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2.

I currently just passed 200 hours in Borderlands 2. I have about 20 other games I want to play through, including Dishonored and Assassin's Creed 3 but I just can't get enough Borderlands 2....
This.

But I've started a new playthrough of SR3 and I did a few rounds of KF the other day. I'm still whoring out Bl2 and with the new dlc being released on the 15th, it looks like bl2 will still be my most played game.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
MechWarrior Online is the only online game I'm playing.

I am kind of getting sick of it, though; almost every match devolves into "Who has the most ECM mechs?" and that's no fun. It seems there's a fair bit of HHoD guys who feel the same way. I'm building a Dragon 1N gunboat to compensate but it's not powerful enough yet. I need 5 million c-creds to buy an XL engine so I can fit more weaponry.

I only really play brawler mechs so I haven't really noticed it much. The thing that makes it annoying is that it all has to do with loadouts. Beyond that there's not much you can do. But Ithink these kinds of mechanics are needed. The combat is really fun, but it really needs that tactical gameplay to stay strong. But this open beta is a real beta. Stuff changes a lot.

Planetside 2 has nearly surpassed all of my online gaming.

I must say, if you haven't tried Planetside yet, you'll be kicking yourself later. This is exactly the sort of game this community would like. IIt's free so just give it a try.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Trying to dwindle my backlog a bit.

Just finished Hitman Absolution and will be moving onto Blops 2 single player and Spec Ops The Line. Both games are probably combined 6 hours of gameplay so I can knock them out in a day or two. In between playtimes I might hit up blops 2 mutliplayer for an hour or two.

After that I will move onto either Darksiders 2 or Dark Souls.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I grabbed Borderlands 2 despite the high level of boredom I experienced with the first one. Surprisingly, this is a pretty solid singleplayer experience. Not much has really changed from the first one but they somehow made it more SP friendly. So far it's fun.

I only really play brawler mechs so I haven't really noticed it much. The thing that makes it annoying is that it all has to do with loadouts. Beyond that there's not much you can do. But Ithink these kinds of mechanics are needed. The combat is really fun, but it really needs that tactical gameplay to stay strong. But this open beta is a real beta. Stuff changes a lot.

Hop in a RVN-3L with the ECM module and see how tactics suddenly become important. The problem is that it's the same tactic every single match - scout enemy movements then withdraw back to your battle group or lance. Attack and/or TAG and/or counter other mechs as needed. Repeat until you die or other team is dead.

I understand that the Raven is a pretty limited build but it's a similar story with my Dragon: Strafe enemy mechs from a distance to annoy them as much as possible. Don't stop moving unless I want to die in a matter of seconds even though I'm in a heavy mech (wtf?) I'm sorry, but this kind of "strategy" isn't fun for me; it's just doing the same damn thing over and over again, hoping I can core the other guy's torso faster than he can core mine.

It doesn't always work out that way of course, but that's how the vast majority of 8-man matches work. I find 4-man groups to be a lot more fun because we can generally do what we want; the PUGs aren't going to follow our battleplan anyways. In those matches I try to play the way I want and I tend to do pretty well, but there's still nothing I can do to change the way things play out unless I spend millions of C-creds to rebuild or just buy a new mech outright. When it can take 100+ matches to come up with enough C-creds to buy an entry level brawler mech, not even counting upgrades like Double Heatsinks or an XL Engine, it just doesn't make sense to try anything new. If you pick the wrong mech for what you want to do you're completely screwed for another 100+ matches.

I understand now why every player buys an Atlas DDC as soon as they can afford one; it's the only mech on the list where you know exactly what you're getting and exactly what it's capable of (because everybody has one.)

This isn't even taking into account the balance issues with the Atlas DDC, or tonnage limits, etc. There's no point to field a balanced 8-man group because chances are very high you're gonna be up against two ECM'd scouts and six ECM'd Atlas DDCs. We played for three hours the other night and it happened almost every match. We had a high turnover rate that night because people kept getting tired of the impossible odds, and I don't blame them.

It's impossible to win against such a group unless you field the exact same group, at which point whoever has the biggest Alpha Strike is the only real factor. With an Atlas fighting another Atlas there's not even any skill involved; you're just pitting math against math. There's no fun in that at all.

In any case, unless the next patch drastically alters the way ECM works I can't see myself holding interest in this game for much longer. I am certainly not going to spend any money on it with the way things currently are. They should re-balance Conquest mode too; I always get more credits and experience in Assault even if I don't do well, and Assault matches tend to be over quicker.

Both games are probably combined 6 hours of gameplay so I can knock them out in a day or two.

Eh, I've already spent almost six hours on Spec Ops and I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm sure it's not going to be a lengthy campaign but I'm also sure it's more than six hours.

Last edited:

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
Played a little BL2 recently, like most everyone else.

Really getting back into the Serious Sam series, excluding SS2 - that one was the big let-down of the series.
Though right now I'm playing Yume Nikki, a little RPG Maker game that kinda makes me feel like I'm on an acid trip..

And hey, with work being so stressful right now, that's cool with me!

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Eh, I've already spent almost six hours on Spec Ops and I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm sure it's not going to be a lengthy campaign but I'm also sure it's more than six hours.

Heh we will see. A duder on my friends list bested it in 5.5 hours according to steam and he isn't one to rush through games like this.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
DayZ. In fact I'm attempting to learn modding for it, though most of the good texts are in German.

It's not the shiniest or prettiest, and the servers have a lot of problems with hackers, but it's the most thinking-man's game I've ever played. And it's hard. VERY damn hard. Completely unforgiving, if you make a single bad mistake you can be toast. Not to mention you lose complete faith in humanity when your friend suddenly dusts you because he'd like to have your weapon and a can of beans.

I'd suggest it to anyone that plays games for the cerebral side and not so much for the mow-them-down aspect. If you like planning and developing stuff like an infiltration scenario then DayZ is for you. You constantly weigh your resources and do risk-management for most decisions and it takes a while to learn it all. Overall it's the best game I've ever played besides UT.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Played some Planetside 2. It's good. I've spent a large amount of time in Guild Wars 2, but the game I played for almost 50 hours is Super Hexagon.

Super Hexagon is trippy, sometimes eye-staining, but also pretty much perfect. It is my GotY 2012 above anything else right now. The game is dead simple. All you do is move a triangle with left and right arrows around a spinning hexagon polygon, dodging walls that move inwards towards the shape. That's it, and it's amazing. Beating it is one of the hardest gaming things I've ever done, but also one of the best experiences I've ever enjoyed in games.

Guild Wars 2 is pretty decent. Combat is still "MMO" in that it's not something you'd pass along in a singleplayer game, but the questing structure of the game is truly astounding. PvP is pretty wicked too.

Aside from that? A little bit of Hotline Miami (trippy awesome), a little bit of Avadon: The Black Fortress (old-school CRPG goodness). You know, this and that.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's impossible to win against such a group unless you field the exact same group, at which point whoever has the biggest Alpha Strike is the only real factor. With an Atlas fighting another Atlas there's not even any skill involved; you're just pitting math against math. There's no fun in that at all.

Exactly. It almost all comes down to math. That's why I keep saying it is a highly strategic game. What you put in your loadout and where you decide to strike means everything. Mechs move slowly so it's not like it's hard to hit anything, you can't really dodge, and they have a lot of health anyways. So there's not really any hard tactical counter that you can use to your advantage.

So it all comes down to what firepower you have when you come into the fight. You have to find a way to get numerical advantages by trying to flank each other and catch a mech on its own. In fights you should to target specific areas of mechs to try and reduce the other's teams firepower. If they have a good brawler you want to try and take it out at long range. If they have a missle boat you need to get close. The difference between an ok team and a competitive one is their ability to adapt to the changing situation and create these advantages through their movements.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

Good luck with that. You do know that game is the worst hacker's paradise in existence, right? Over 60% of DayZ players actively hack, and that was six months ago. They can't fix the hacks because it would break ArmA 2. I know it's way worse now because these things only do get worse when the developer can do nothing about them.

In any case, DayZ as a game was pretty amazing. It was a great experience when we were playing way back before the hackers. But now it's just a major source of frustration and a waste of time.

I'm gonna give it another go when the standalone DayZ game comes out; supposedly they're going to be able to fix the hacks with that release.

So there's not really any hard tactical counter that you can use to your advantage.

That's not entirely true. Have you seen this?

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUzhO1TiAc[/M]

That Cicada has an alpha of 40 points. That's a one-hit-kill to the vast majority of mechs if he hits center torso (which isn't hard to do with ER PCCs.) Now tons of people are building these, but they're building them in Heavies and Assaults that don't overheat after every alpha. We've been seeking Stalkers with six of them and nothing else.

This kind of build is essentially the counter to anything you put on the field. It doesn't care about ECM. If it has enough armor and a Standard engine, it doesn't care about torso damage. It doesn't need to worry about CASE or ammo exploding because it has no ammo. It just walks around and kills everything. It can be countered if you can get your entire group within a few meters to keep him from getting a clear shot, but he'll take most of you down before you even get close.

The difference between an ok team and a competitive one is their ability to adapt to the changing situation and create these advantages through their movements.

You'd think so. But it actually comes down to which team has more ECM because the seeking missiles (LRMs, Streaks) tend to do more damage than the dumb missiles (SRMs.) Even if the other team is rolling an entire field of gun and laser boats (we tried this too) the ECM'd team still has the advantage, even if they only have one missile boat. This is why it's completely unbalanced.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
DayZ. In fact I'm attempting to learn modding for it, though most of the good texts are in German.

It's not the shiniest or prettiest, and the servers have a lot of problems with hackers.....

Good luck with that. You do know that game is the worst hacker's paradise in existence, right? Over 60% of DayZ players actively hack, and that was six months ago. They can't fix the hacks because it would break ArmA 2. I know it's way worse now because these things only do get worse when the developer can do nothing about them.

In any case, DayZ as a game was pretty amazing. It was a great experience when we were playing way back before the hackers. But now it's just a major source of frustration and a waste of time.

I'm gonna give it another go when the standalone DayZ game comes out; supposedly they're going to be able to fix the hacks with that release.

This.

And that is the thing that turned me off the game. I can take the short lifespans and the whole mechanic, which is clever and fun, but the getting onto a server and then not getting griefed is a major problem with that mod.

At the moment I'm playing though Mass Effect 1 again because I just bought Mass Effect 2 on Steam and want to amp up my XP before I start ME2.

Last edited: