Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Watched Scottish director Mark Cousins' Story of Film: An Odyssey series of films recently. 9/10 because he didn't add anything about animated film. Other than that, they're the best docufilm series I've seen in years.

If you're halfway serious about movies, then you should watch it too. It's very educational and will leave you with tons of other movies you'll want to watch.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-story-of-film-an-odyssey

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Skyfall 8/10

It happens that I saw this twice within a week and I am glad to report that it has that most Bond-like of characteristics - re-watchability. :)

Whilst it is quite (necessarily) talky in places, it ticks all the Bond action requisites.

Weakness? Well, the villain's plot is a little low-key (despite a very entertaining turn by Javier Bardem). There is some very lazy film making in handling day/evening/night transitions and the script's handling of a "select committee" seemed more tailored to the expectations of international audiences than reality.

Daniel Craig continues to impress mightily as Bond. It's hard to imagine that there were once concerns about a blond Bond. The rest of the cast is more than up to scratch (Bérénice Marlohe isn't on screen for long but she excels in a short conversation in a bar).

Thrallala - The next time you chose to post a major spoiler, could you remember that the spoiler tags don't work in e-mails? Please leave a large number of blank lines above the spoiler to that we have a choice as to whether or not to look further.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Thing (2011) Weaksauce/10

First off, there are no 24 hour day-night cycles in Antarctica. The scares were cheaply played and more of the predictable "Jump" moments than anything else. The monsters looked cool, but that's about it. No real suspense moments. No true suspense.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Battle Royale - 6/10

Dunno why it's taken so long for me to watch this - it's been out since 2000.
This is where The Hunger Games get's it's inspiration, only Battle Royale is about 10 times better.
The japs sure know how to be controversial and this film ticks all the right wtf boxes.
There's even an element of pedo in the film and it doesn't even try to hide the fact either.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
End of Watch - 8.5/10

Holy sh*t this was a kick ass film! Perfect chemistry between the two leads. Plenty of action balanced with plenty of time to get to know and bond with the characters. Ending is depressing as f*ck though. :(

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Peacemaker-5.5/10

I've seen it before. It's an o.k. thriller I suppose.

Nicole looks so young in this film and George is George.

The one car chase in the flick is possibly the best part of the whole movie.

Skyfall

Best of the Daniel Craig Bonds so far. I actually was reminded of For Your Eyes Only (best of the Moore Bond movies if you ask me) and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Not a big action spectacle, more character driven and personal like those were. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bond gets shot in the intro! First time in the series I believe.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey - 7/10
I like Lord of the Rings but I don't consider it anywhere near close to the best ever, I have read both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

I watched The Hobbit in 48fps 3D.

The 3D is well done, definitely one of the few movies where 3D is used correctly (I'd say Avatar, Hugo and Hobbit). The 48fps technology is not a revolution that will change moviegoing experience forever but it is not bad either, while I didn't notice much difference from 24fps it was definitely "clearer" especially in landscape pictures.

Now for the movie, with a run time of nearly 3 hours I'd say it's at least 30 minutes too long, the first hour feels like a drag and while hardcore Lord of the Rings fans will probably enjoy this, I didn't. There are also a couple of scenes that where not in the book and some other that probably shouldn't have made the movie;
The Brown Wizard who is not present in the book got quite a lot of screentime here and he is a bit too "special" to say the least. There was also a scene where mountains would come to life and fight eachother and it was bad

As some of you probably know the book is a short one, I find it strange that there would even be material to warrant a trilogy, would probably be better off cutting a couple of scenes and only make 2 movies.

Now for the good parts;
The scenes with Gollum is as expected brilliant!
, The "villain" is a pretty good one, Ian McKellen still does a great Gandalf, Martin Freeman is perfect as Bilbo and Richard Amitrage does an impressive job as the main dwarf, Thorin.

Overall I'd say the movie isn't brilliant, but it's a good start and I have no doubt that the 2nd and 3rd will be better.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Why do I keep hearing that comparison? Soap operas look no different than any other film in 24fps.
It's not a difference of soap opera vs. other films but a difference of filmed on film vs. filmed on video.

Soap operas, being a notoriously cheap genre, tend to be filmed on video which is why they're brought up by laymen to describe this effect.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Why do I keep hearing that comparison? Soap operas look no different than any other film in 24fps.

You must be watching some quality soap operas. Look up "soap opera effect". The comparison is made because a lot of soap operas are filmed on cheap cameras at 60 fps rather than a more cinematic 24 fps. It gives the image a very cheap high school film project sort of look.

24 fps video has a specific exposure time which simulates real life motion blur during movement. Bringing it closer to 60 will lessen the exposure time and certainly make it more crisp during motion, but at the same time it gives it that "made for tv movie" budget look. My eyes are very sensitive to it.