JB-RimeValley

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nhan, It's just because that skybox seems problematic lately, let me check that out...

Edit: well , zed , your skybox don't have any textures, at all. I don't know what you want to do there, but if you want to use a solid texture only, you need to make a texture that is exacly the same as the fog's one

If you want a good looking skybox , ask me. (and yes i removed the fog on the pic)

Attachments

• Sans titre.JPG
    Sans titre.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
My thing is okay you have removed the fog and the skybox has no textures but, will you be able to even see anything at all through the heavy fog. I mean yeah if a difference can be noticed, you should add a texture to it, but no one will be able to tell the difference, then all adding a texture is gonna do is increase the file size.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Spudsy said:
My thing is okay you have removed the fog and the skybox has no textures but, will you be able to even see anything at all through the heavy fog. I mean yeah if a difference can be noticed, you should add a texture to it, but no one will be able to tell the difference, then all adding a texture is gonna do is increase the file size.
I agree. It's no use making a skybox if no one will see it. I like so much fog in the map, it makes a great ambience and keeps the framerates high... :)
Anyway, the blue 'sky' texture could be replaced by a 16x16 square texture with the same colour as the fog and the filesize could become a bit lower... ;)

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Now my good friend G. Lecter here has got it down. The heavy fog really give you some great ambience and the framerates stay high with it. The thick fog really helps you plunge deeper into this world or map that has been created. It may sound trite, but it helps you more fuse with the enviornment better than a normal skybox.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I get the same problem on a couple of maps. Is it set to a "sky" texture normally but showing up wrong? it could be automaticly going to a fallback texture for some reason. I don't know how these work though.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Couldnt find any bugs anywhere.

Only thing I saw was a corona in the jail that wasn't perfectly in the middle.... perhaps make it larger when you are closer up, will look better.

Only other problem was through the lack of players. nothing you can do about that there mate ;)

Attachments

• corona.jpg
    corona.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 24

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Raptor roof bug

I thought it was ment that you could not go back inside via the raptor roof
after some tries I got through anyway and there was some hideous fog.
I don't know what could have been causing that.
Oh and is there any news on the release of utjb2004c?

Last edited:

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
Too late for JB2004c ?

Here is the latest version (Beta3, but its as good/finished as a RC) of the map and the needed .u file:

www.olivergnau.de/planetjailbreak/JBExecutionFreeze.zip
www.olivergnau.de/planetjailbreak/JB-RimeValley-Beta3.zip

... not sure how to go on with that. :/

From the months, maybe even year ago that this was made, as far as I remember it was fairly well tested. I don't remember anymore changes being needed; it was merely waiting for JB2004c ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Uhm, "server not found" on those links.

[edit]
Ah, Firefox interpret those backslashes as part of the name. :con:

[edit2]
I'll fix up the map to use JBToolbox2 instead of the separate freeze execution package. We've included that in the toolbox code a long time ago. (Then again, everything we did was a long time ago. :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I just gave the map a playtest, and I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. The map is simply far too big for any kind of proper Jailbreak game. Even though I played with 29 adept bots (the map is marked as ideal for 20-28 players), it took quite some time to see anyone. Also it looks like prisoners are always sent to only one of the two jails per team. That makes the freezing execution look a bit weird. The emitters and sounds are long done, but still players get frozen one after another. Surely creates a creepy "when is it going to be my turn?" atmosphere, but takes too long with all (up to) 16 players in the same jail.

As a result of the map size and the base layout, it's probably impossible for only a few left-over players to sneak into the enemy base and release their team. And although I created the JBGoliathFactory, I'd rather not see a tank in a Jailbreak map. It may be slow, but the map lacks anti-tank weapons for infantry (which on the other hand would be devastating against Scorpions or Mantas).
Winning the map in a bot game is easy: Grab the tank, set your team on defense and Camp either in front of the base or on the hill opposite to it. You only need to wait for the bots in the Minigun turrets to point out incoming enemy players. Those that don't make it through the bullet hail will be blown to pieces by the Goliath cannon, even if it's another Goliath.

Another problem I see is that we don't really have any other maps of that size, let alone the opportunity to fill a jailbreak server with 32 players. Most other maps (except maybe Oasis) are entirely unsuited for that player count - just think of Basmma or Crusher with half that player count. ;)

But to end this post with a good thing: The Radar add-on is really handy on this map. You don't need to rely on the directional indicator (which flickers like crazy when a team is about to be captured :D) to decide which switch to go for. The switch for the jail with prisoners pulses so you can make plans way before you arrive at the base.

[edit]
And another good thing: The design might work well for an Onslaught conversion. After Savo Island this might be the second Jailbreak map that could end up on one of the 32 player Onslaught servers.

Last edited:

Bloodyboy

UT3 JB Mapper
Jan 18, 2010
France
I just gave the map a playtest, and I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. The map is simply far too big for any kind of proper Jailbreak game. Even though I played with 29 adept bots (the map is marked as ideal for 20-28 players), it took quite some time to see anyone. Also it looks like prisoners are always sent to only one of the two jails per team. That makes the freezing execution look a bit weird. The emitters and sounds are long done, but still players get frozen one after another. Surely creates a creepy "when is it going to be my turn?" atmosphere, but takes too long with all (up to) 16 players in the same jail.

As a result of the map size and the base layout, it's probably impossible for only a few left-over players to sneak into the enemy base and release their team. And although I created the JBGoliathFactory, I'd rather not see a tank in a Jailbreak map. It may be slow, but the map lacks anti-tank weapons for infantry (which on the other hand would be devastating against Scorpions or Mantas).
Winning the map in a bot game is easy: Grab the tank, set your team on defense and Camp either in front of the base or on the hill opposite to it. You only need to wait for the bots in the Minigun turrets to point out incoming enemy players. Those that don't make it through the bullet hail will be blown to pieces by the Goliath cannon, even if it's another Goliath.

Another problem I see is that we don't really have any other maps of that size, let alone the opportunity to fill a jailbreak server with 32 players. Most other maps (except maybe Oasis) are entirely unsuited for that player count - just think of Basmma or Crusher with half that player count. ;)

But to end this post with a good thing: The Radar add-on is really handy on this map. You don't need to rely on the directional indicator (which flickers like crazy when a team is about to be captured :D) to decide which switch to go for. The switch for the jail with prisoners pulses so you can make plans way before you arrive at the base.
Yeah, I read the last posts of ZedMaestro ... he was completely screwed by the heroine towards the end.