Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Priest-5/10

Average action and a weak ending. It tries to be some steam punk version of EL Topo with vampires as far as I can tell. It looks like it was set up for a sequel but I don't know if it deserves one.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Expendables 2 - 4/10

Sometimes it helps to prepare for movie bullshit up front and as far as film prep is concerned - that's what you need for Sly's latest cash-in.
Stallone obviously had a ton of say in how big calibre machine guns should rip through cannon fodder and with Swazzeneggar uttering the phrase "I'll be back" at every opportunity, you reluctantly realise that you're getting too old yourself.
All the old movie giants of the 80's & 90's are suddenly mortal - that's just wrong.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Hunger Games 3/10

Derivative, over-long, third-rate dystopia relayed in a turgid heavy-handed fashion.

Any one of those flaws might be excused but to have them all in the one production makes for a less than enjoyable viewing experience.

(My teenage daughter strongly disagrees)

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Taken-7/10

I've seen this film before. It's a decent enough thriller with some good action and enough revenge to make for a watchable story.

Contact-9/10

O.k. I'm a Jodie Foster fan but, in my opinion, this is probably her finest moment. Her acting in this film is superb.

Other than I am always compelled to re-watch this film. I love the sentiment, the heart and soul that the movie has. The music is some of Silvestri's best work.

I want to believe we are not alone. We miss you Carl........

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Memento-7.5/10

I haven's seen this film in enough years to forget how a lot of the story runs. The spark of Nolan's film genius was obvious even way back then. I don't think this guy has ever made a dud film.

Captain America: The First Avenger-7/10

Much better the second time around. It didn't really lose anything not being in 3D.

I still think the way the villain gets it is a bit weak in terms of the overall story but it's all about getting Cap to the 21st century and the Avengers.

A necessary origin story. Worth a second look.

Thor-6.5/10

It's an heroic film and does have some humour. Kenneth Branagh's direction leans heavily on the Nordic mythology which isn't so bad.

It's all necessary back story to the Avengers film and was worth a second look.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Dredd(3d) - 8/10

The movie is getting good reviews for a reason. It doesn't waste time getting into the action and the slomo effect was pretty mesmerizing. The 3d on the other hand was pretty shitty. Every so often I would take the glasses off and notice parts of the film were not in 3d, and when they did switch to 3d the glasses just made it look like it would have without them. Only 3d section I did like was at the end when

Dredd judged MawMaw and threw her ass out the window. The shards were actually somewhat convincing
Other than that just another reason why 3d needs to die off already.

Enjoyed the film though and it was a breath of fresh air after the Stallone camp fest.

Sleepover Camp - 2/10

Bad acting, terrible script writing, and characters that you wish you could choke the life out of. Even the twist ending wasn't enough to bring this out of mediocre territory.

Slumber party masacre - 5/10

Slutty teenagers, stupid men, and a killer with a taste in power drills is what this movie is all about. One of those just put your brain at the door and chill.

Last edited:

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
Wrong Side of Town - 2/10

About as good an action film as one can expect that stars two professional wrestlers, a has-been rapper and a second-rate R&B singer.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Yep; I'm looking forward to Dredd opening here. I always enjoyed the 2000AD comics.

Conan the Barbarian-4/10

I didn't see this at the movies when it first came out but I believe it was in 3D. It actually looks as if it would have been pretty good 3D.

They obviously had a budget and got the look of the films right for CGI, locations and costuming; keeping it faithful to the books. However Conan seemed to have a lot of costume changes that just came out of nowhere (bad continuity).

What makes this film no better than the Arnie version and why it falls over:

1. The story seemed rushed in places and the pacing of script wasn't that good.

2. Jason Momoa couldn't act in Stargate: Atlantis and he can't act here. I know they had to have an actor that had the right physique for the part but he just doesn't cut it enough to be convincing in the role. Stephen Lang is not much better and never has been; even in Avatar.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Looper - 9/10

I wish I could talk in detail about this film but it's one of those things where you have the best experience going in without knowing anything about it other than maybe having seen a trailer for it. I'm happy that the trailers I've seen for this film haven't simply covered all there is to this movie, and I'm really glad I went to see it. Probably the cleverest movie I've seen this year.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Looper - 9/10

I wish I could talk in detail about this film but it's one of those things where you have the best experience going in without knowing anything about it other than maybe having seen a trailer for it. I'm happy that the trailers I've seen for this film haven't simply covered all there is to this movie, and I'm really glad I went to see it. Probably the cleverest movie I've seen this year.
I must admit the trailer didn't thrill me that much either. It might be one of those films where the trailer doesn't give the whole film away for a change. I might give it a look then......

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo-6.5/10

I don't know the hit book and I've never seen the original foreign language version of the film so I thought I'd check this out to see what all the fuss is about.

An interesting enough mystery story with a few side issues chucked in including what appear to be a few heavy sexual fantasies that the writer entertained.

Yet another Fincher film that feels really unlike this director except for the Trent Reznor soundtrack which I like. The last few Fincher films seemed to have moved away from the style he last used in Panic Room.

Fuss over...............

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Looper - 7/10

It was a bit too slow to be considered great IMO. But I was kind of tired and a tad buzzed while watching, so that didn't really help. I still enjoyed it though, just not the masterpiece the reviews made it out to be.

V/H/S - 5/10

A 5 tale horror anthology of found footage VHS tapes. Some serious WTF moments in here, but only 2 or 3 of the tales were really worthwhile. Bonus points for one of the most realistic throat stabbings/slashings I've seen on film. If I didn't know any better I would think I was watching a snuff film.

Last edited:

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
WTH am I'm watching this cult horror flick?
Grade: D

The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)
True classic and great romance.
Grade: B+

Taken 2 (2012)
Watched on cinema yesterday. This sequel is rather minimal/moderate trash and rubbish. Liam Neeson takes high advantage on acting and some action chases are decent, but the others does have more inequalities and disadvantages than the original.
Grade: C

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Looper - 9/10

Looper 9/10 from me too.

Genuinely original, and brilliant "Fuck!!!!!" ending.
It feels like an Indy film (like Moon and Monsters) and I think the trailers are trying to sell it to a mass market as an action/chase movie....which it's not.

I liked Brick a lot too, and it will be interesting to see where the director goes next.