Complete Noob Investing Questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Looking at the history graphs though, the share prices are always up during the release of a major title. It really spiked during GTA IV. Why wouldn't that trend continue? At the very least, I don't think the prices would dip below what they are now, especially at the time of release. Right? Maybe? Perhaps?

It's funny to go back and read these things. Take Two really plunged since I wrote this. Closed at $7.87 today. Hasn't been that low since 2009. Maybe it's a good time to drop $2k on it and ride it out until GTA V releases?

Realistically, I probably won't touch it. Apple has been doing so tremendously well that I don't want to jinx myself by investing in anything else.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's funny to go back and read these things. Take Two really plunged since I wrote this. Closed at $7.87 today. Hasn't been that low since 2009. Maybe it's a good time to drop $2k on it and ride it out until GTA V releases?

Realistically, I probably won't touch it. Apple has been doing so tremendously well that I don't want to jinx myself by investing in anything else.

As always I can't give advice on a specific stock. So I'm not saying you should our shouldn't buy. However, I think that kind of investment thesis is dangerous. You can certainly make lots of money buying low. Think AIG or Ford. However, more often than not you loose money on these. Don't catch a falling knife. I would look for stocks that are already doing well, and you have a business case for them to do even better.

Glad I waited for first earnings on Facebook.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Don't catch a falling knife.

This is the best advice anyone can give. Technical view is to avoid getting in before a support-resistance-breakout on higher timeframe.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I don't want to pay off a mortgage for the rest of my life with a kazillion dollars in interest. Again, if I choose to stay on Long Island, a decently sized house in a good neighborhood is 400k+. Sooooo expensive here. :(

You do realize why prices are so high don't you ? Giving loans is far more interesting when it comes to existing property so sellers are pushing skyward. When the carpet goes those prices could tumble.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
You do realize why prices are so high don't you ? Giving loans is far more interesting when it comes to existing property so sellers are pushing skyward. When the carpet goes those prices could tumble.

There's a number of reasons why it's so expensive here.

1) LI is rated one of the safest places to live in the nation (surprisingly enough)
2) Jobs are extremely prevalent. We're right next to NYC.
3) Surrounded by water, beaches everywhere.
4) Get to experience the beauty of all seasons, without having too harsh of a winter or summer.
5) Bars stay open til 4AM. :D

And the negative:

1) Overpopulation (7.5+ million on a 118x23 mile wide island :eek:)
2) Traffic (mainly rush hour and weekend) will make you contemplate suicide

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Btw, here's a good example of why you should avoid catching a falling knife.

Attachments

• facebook-427307_10151143440140390_2064470289_n.jpg
    facebook-427307_10151143440140390_2064470289_n.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 17

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
What defines a falling knife though? Take Two is almost certain to rebound once GTA V comes around. Again, I'm not going to buy in, but I don't think it would be the worst idea right now.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Again can't comment on specific companies.
do you have to say that every single time you post?
we get it.

besides, I bet you could comment on specific stock all you want and nothing would happen. somehow I doubt that your employer is going to stumble on BuF, start reading threads, and then figure out that TWD is one of his employees :p

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
lol stocks in this day and age. What a waste of time and money. Keep that shit under your pillow where you know it is safe

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
do you have to say that every single time you post?
we get it.

besides, I bet you could comment on specific stock all you want and nothing would happen. somehow I doubt that your employer is going to stumble on BuF, start reading threads, and then figure out that TWD is one of his employees :p

Actually, I do. I can't just say "well I think that companies that have dropped 50% and are at risk of being delisted would classify as a falling knife". Then someone might say "well GS thinks we should short that stock". But I'm not saying that. I'm not making any comment on any specific stock. I'm not making any such pronouncement on Take Two. All I'm saying is that the words "it can't fall any more" is a horrible investment mistake. This is serious business. You can never be too cautious.

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
TWD: But can you comment on specific stocks, in a post-mortem fashion? Surely it isn't like giving out insider knowledge about what will happen, because the event happened already.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I don't see why you can't comment on specific stocks. Do you think we're going to track you down and kill you because you gave bad advice?

Anyway, TTWO rallied 20% this week. More like a bouncing ball than a falling knife.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Well there's lots of reasons. They could be a client of ours. People can spread false information or try to manipulate the market with rumors. Even if you are very careful you could end up breaking a law. It's better to just not comment on specific stocks or products like that.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
So Apple hit $700 today. Still holding, still have no idea when to sell, but I'm riding the iphone 5 wave for as long as I can. Perhaps Q4 earnings will be a good time to decide whether or not to sell. All signs are pointing to a blow out quarter. I guess the risk is not knowing if there's going to be a big sell off before then.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
So Apple hit $700 today. Still holding, still have no idea when to sell.

One conservative way to decide is wait for end of trend with break and candle close of previous daily support level. Advantage to this approach is you have a reference point to focus on to close a trade or leave it running.

Last edited: