Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The Women in Black - 6/10

Danielle Radcliffe's first outing since forever being remembered to a generation as Harry Potter breaks the shackles of that personna in this quite interesting ghost story set in Victorian England.
There's an element of atmospherics that reminded me of the original Hound of the Baskervilles and Johhny Depps's Sleepy Hollow - similar locations and it works quite well visually with nice period art direction.
As ghost stories go, this is quite subtle and ambles along quite nicely but some stuff jarred, particularly Radcliffe's character playing the role of a father - he just looks too young to be convincing.

Snow White and the Huntsman - 5/10

Interesting take on the classic fairytale, favouring a darker tone which works quite well to some degree although I didn't seem to care about the characters in the end and because you know the story, obviously there's no surprises, so it all unfolds as expected.
The art direction changes things somewhat, so it's the visual changes that interest you rather than the story.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Tron Legacy - 5/10

Nice visuals, but that was it.
I don't know what happened to movies that totally suck you in. Do they still exist? Because with this one I didn't care if the main character dies or not. Just some arrogant, spoiled, rich kid that happen to be the son of Flynn. Maybe I am just missing the MCP.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
The Amazing Spiderman - 8/10

Really good. I just wish they'd gone with a darker tone. This movie was borderline PG.

Some cheesy CGI here and there but for the most part pretty damn good. I liked the first person shots.

What's with the lizards in NY? Everyone in the audience was questioning that one. Did Dr. Connors give birth to them or are we supposed to believe that lizards are native to NY? :p

My take on all the lizards flocking toward Connors' makeshift lab was probably due to the huge amount of reptile pheromones he was probably giving off. If they weren't native to NY I would surmise that they were pets that escaped their owners to migrate towards Connors' lab.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Not Really So Amazing Spiderman

The actors are better this time around, that's for sure, and by that I mean the acting as well. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy is leaps and bounds better than Kirsten Dunst's vapid attempt at Mary Jane (and this time you understand why Peter Parker likes her, instead of hating him for devoting himself, as nerds often do, to the empty personality-non entity popular girl). The tone is just better all around, no denying it. The cast works.
Completely agree.

What doesn't work is...everything else. The cast is wasted on a poorly told retelling. It's a reboot...and a reboot that doesn't really try to do anything new or tell a story on film that the Raimi Spiderman movies didn't. Besides a few scenes and instances that are obviously different, the formula is all there. You spend like an hour of screentime with geeky Peter Parker before he is Spiderman and then he becomes Spiderman and yadda yadda yadda, you've seen it already. The first Raimi movie comes to mind often here, as all the plotpoints are carried out, again.

Whilst true that there is little new ground plot-wise, I felt the key moment where Parker chooses to look the other way, with the well-known tragic consequences, worked far better than in the Raimi version.

That said, it did take a long time to reach the baddy. There is an element of trade-off between time spend developing the characters and developing the plot. This film favoured character over plot development and that's not to everyone's taste.

However, once the action gets going the film was enjoyable enough. 3D IMAX left me feeling somewhat green around the gills (that is a comlement!)

There were some annoyingly lazy plot decisions e.g. a 17-year old has a whole bunch of security access codes for the Oscom (sp?) building and the implication of the promise being broken was a clear example of having one's cake and eating it. Continuity could have been better (how many antique cameras does Peter Parker have?)

Annoyingly, it doesn't open in Scotland (bar the première) until next month.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
haha..if only I guess.

blackcatcx6.jpg

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I was on vacation for a week so I watched a bunch of movies.

Death Race 2 - 6/10
Meh, it was okay. Its basically a prequel to the original Death Race which I thought was an awesome action flick.

Alien- 8/10
One of the best sci-flicks ever made!

Aliens- 10/10
They mostly come out at night....mostly. Freaking love this movie

Alien 3 - 5/10
Extremely weak plot and overall shitty acting.

Alien Resurrection - 7/10
Also a bad flick but still has a stronger plot than Alien 3 to some degree.

AvP - 8/10
Honestly, better than Alien 3 and Resurrection combined. Seeing sci-fi's greatest hunter and predator go at it was good fun.

AvP - 2 0/10
What the fuck was that about...

Snatch - 10/10
One my favorite movies, "you like degs?"

Scary Movie - 2/10
I never actually saw this until last week, damn that sucked was not even funny.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Ghost Rider 2: 7/10
I don't care what the critics say it was more or less what I wanted from a Ghost Rider movie.
Okay the plot and Character development is abrupt/rushed and the story is not only cliche but also totally retcons the first movie but Ghost Rider has never looked so cool and generally speaking the movie is quite fun in an evil dead sort of way. imo.
It just feels like nearly all the scenes are cut short, not sure why.

The soundtrack is also 100% more bad-ass:
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IpPSgIlRmw[/M]
Let Ghost Rider 3 happen and be the perfect one.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
A Fish Called Wanda 7/10

If I had been writing this 20-odd years ago then the score would have been much closer to 9. Sadly, this hasn't aged very well.

Some early scenes are rather homophobic in tone and John Cleese playing a stock John Cleese character is rather over-familiar nowadays. That said, it does still have some classic moments and great supporting performances from Kevin Kline and Michael Palin.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Cloverfield-8/10

I haven't seen this in quite a while but it remains a great monster movie in the tradition of Godzilla type of flicks. It amazes me how believable they made this flick look. It stands up well to repeated viewings.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
You... hoped it would be a 12/10?

The score I give reflects a combination of my feeling of the movies quality as a work of cinematography, how entertained I was, how much I felt could have been better, and in this case how well it stuck too Burroughs writings or at least the spirit and feel there of.

Those things considered I felt it wasn't half bad, though not exactly half good either, which meant the scale had to tip one way or the other and as my personal biases as a fan of Burroughs work weren't incensed I felt the limbo point should fall on the side of the positive.

Ask a simple question, get an over complicated long drawn out answer.

The Dark Knight Rises

It's good, that's all that matters. It won't have you gripped to the screen like the 2nd movie and the fun factor you experienced from the Avengers earlier in the year isn't there, but it ends the trilogy well. Based on how many comic books you've read (Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, and No Man's Land are direct influences) you might find yourself sitting there, as I did, with complete understanding of where it's going...and when it arrives there it's a nice feeling. It's just more truth that Batman stories are better than other comic book characters, and as a man Bruce Wayne falls from a higher place than most, only to have to rise that much higher.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The Dark Knight Rises

It's good, that's all that matters. It won't have you gripped to the screen like the 2nd movie and the fun factor you experienced from the Avengers earlier in the year isn't there, but it ends the trilogy well. Based on how many comic books you've read (Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, and No Man's Land are direct influences) you might find yourself sitting there, as I did, with complete understanding of where it's going...and when it arrives there it's a nice feeling. It's just more truth that Batman stories are better than other comic book characters, and as a man Bruce Wayne falls from a higher place than most, only to have to rise that much higher.

I will agree with this. The movie isn't as good as Dark Knight, but it is still very well done and I felt it was an awesome conclusion. Couple things that kinda nag at me though

How did Blake know Bruce was Batman? Also the way Bane went out was kinda meh compared to how it could have went but he had his time to shine