Illhaven continued by Kew

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Tim "Kew" Jervis has returned to Unreal and has introduced his new Illhaven sequel/rework pack after being 12 years absent in the Unreal/UT community.

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2507&start=15

Hurray!

And yes it is 100 percent real. I have no idea why people doubt this or come across as rude regarding this. It certainly will be released soon from the looks of it, unlike the other announced packs as it's mostly complete.

I believe it would be news worthy for BU main page as well.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Now this is interesting. I really liked original one and will surely try this out.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Had this been 2002, yes, I would have shown interest and probably been still somewhat in awe with the looks of these type of maps. But ten years later, hmmm... I can't feel any excitement about this.

I've just grown tired of Unreal's typical dark and ugly texture sets. They used to look really appealing, but that was a long time ago imho.

Although, it may play just fine. I remember the original Illhaven (and the updated UT coop version) to be a memorable add-on. Really sucked you in.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Did you guys ever try the Wheel of Time version of Illhaven Harbor(the first map)? The WoT textures really improved the looks imo and there were new areas to visit as well.

Not to mention that Kew worked on some of the Wheel of Time original maps (he was in the credits of the game), I enjoyed the game a lot.

The Unreal textures are not that detailed, but still I don't think it looks that dated either way.

Also remember that Illhaven maps were originally released separately but later compiled into an entire pack. Many people forget that, that's also why there are sudden shifts in connections I would say.

Illhaven started out in Fantasy Quake mod though and I just played through these maps as well (two maps basically as you start in the Illhaven town), they are very different from Unreal version although reminescent. Very good in Quake engine though, don't remember last time seeing such detailed medieval towns in Quake.

Last edited:

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
I'd be interested in playing this game. I guess a player could use the high-end S3TC textures by Diehard to improve the visuals. I have those textures installed, and so do many others. Heck, bring it on.

Freddie

Last edited:

Kew

May 30, 2012
Just thought I would say hello. Thanks for the supportive comments. Kew

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Neonite the heathen
4118G8GRY8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Looking forward to this. I'll have it on my coop server as soon as it's released for you guys to play.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well of course I'm a heathen. Always been.

Guess I meant saying that certain maps completely lost their appeal to me. No matter with hi res textures or not. Nyleve just to be a real breathtaking map, but nowadays it's become the opposite.

Still, Unreal's gameplay keeps delivering and some maps have that seemingly everlasting great atmosphere.

Kew

May 30, 2012
As I announced on Unrealsp.org, The Illhaven 2012 beta pack will be released tomorrow June 01. Please remember this pack reworks, to a limited extent, the original series and includes several new maps.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
They are unchanged since the last test version now, because no other bugs were found during 3's help with testing last night (I had to leave because I was tired and NeoNite got invited too)
(but 3 helped me find some bugs before I would not notice, it's always better to test it in two or so in coop), by the way the killing in illhaven farewell when you get the items in the chapel, that is intentional since those items are cursed, it's not a bsp hole, but a triggered death, for those who don't pay attention to messages one of them say to not touch the items by that evil monk, including the lone armor in his room too.

Remember there was only a day for this testing after all.

Here's the release:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=198465

Direct link for download:

Illhaven_2012.rar

And yes I was asked to release it before. So don't worry anyone, this isn't unauthorized release.

If I may quote Kew:

You have my ok to get this on a server tomorrow (June 01) for everyone
to access and let me know the link. You can do that anytime you want tomorrow.
I will put the link on unrealsp after which I am going to spend my time in BU.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I will release hotfix for illhaven_104, I made a huge mistake when rebuilding the map in order to fix one HOM but it seems some bsp errors appeared in the cellar that I didn't notice, it was the only map I tinkered with bsp wise and it seems I shouldn't have done that.

Sorry everyone.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
About the hub map. Just a thought. Wouldn't it have been more interesting replacing those illhaven signs with the mapnames instead? And add a small description in the book below.

Seems a little confusing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.