Epic Launches UT Facebook Page

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crusha K. Rool

Coding Crocodile
Sep 27, 2011
Germany
wiki.beyondunreal.com
I have started to play UT3 again recently, mostly TAM/BTA.
But my god what an uptight, unfriendly, elitist, humorless bunch of kids it is thats still playing the game.

Its very fun to repeatedly Goo them though.

And that's why the veterans rather stick to UT2k4. They value it for it's gameplay, not for the graphics and due to it's age is the audience also more of age. ;)

I just participated in one of the still regularly held Onslaught Nights on the Titan server today. It always brings back good old memories when I see all the same faces lurking around there for all the years and fight out some really intense battles. Oh the nostalgia! :crysmile:

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT2k4 has some of the worst gameplay of the series, so that doesn't explain much unless you're talking about people who started the series in UT2k4.

I would love to see a new UT with the correct amount and effort of updating and built specifically for PC. It doesn't really need to be an ultra competitive shooter, it just needs good gameplay and fun aesthetics and it will be fine.

But a new Unreal game would really be something else I think.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
yeah, did you see Unreal 2?

Totally unfinished. Just a piece of garbage.

I don't see how they can try to hide the fact that UT2003 exists, which is a good game really, and then pimp Unreal 2 all over the place like they are proud of it.
It's just a shit hole failure.

Last edited:

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
As I said 4 years ago, brining back ut99 as a free on-line game makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately they've missed the boat and Quake Live already savaged the market. However, they still have a chance to get ut99 reborn on-line with new content, support for custom content, updated graphics and built-in support for competitive gaming. Why not?

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
UPDATE: A representative from Epic Games has reached out to us to inform that they are not planning to announce a new Unreal Tournament title. Even though a new game won’t be announced, you should still show your support and like the page!
Lets be real... We all know where epic stands.

I doubt another serious run at Unreal Tournament will happen anytime soon. In fact, I'd wager that if an Unreal game does come out, it will be based off the original Unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
Which one is much better ut 2003 or ut3?

yeah, did you see Unreal 2?

Totally unfinished. Just a piece of garbage.

i love Unreal 2 it has a great atmosphere but its very short and gameplay not very good

if they are going to make new ut they should bring back same atmosphere that original unreal and ut has and they should spend so much time for good gameplay and ui for pc and BRİNG GOD DAMN
İNVASİON, MİNİGUN AND RİPPER BACK!!!

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
And that's why the veterans rather stick to UT2k4. They value it for it's gameplay, not for the graphics and due to it's age is the audience also more of age. ;)

I just participated in one of the still regularly held Onslaught Nights on the Titan server today. It always brings back good old memories when I see all the same faces lurking around there for all the years and fight out some really intense battles. Oh the nostalgia! :crysmile:

Well, im one of the few (it seems) that thinks UT3:s gameplay is perfect. :)

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I remember that ut2k3 gameplay with midgets and stupid looking guns...on par with the stupid Serious Sam 2 ones. UT3 was much closer to UT but then again I'm speaking as a hardcore UT-DM player.

ut2k3 was Epic's biggest mistake for the franchise, new people and some not so hardcore oldies got used to the bad (because they had no choice) and they never gave a chance to UT3. All the people that I knew stopped playing UT after ut2k3 was out and never returned.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Im wondering why do Epic people like Cliff think the ut fanbase is not showing interest about this game and their series ( there are people that call itself pros -this kind of people made great damage to the series since ut came out to world- and other that certainly doenst show anymore interest in this game -some are true in x thing other not blaming about stupid things like hey and what happened to x thing it does not show in the game! ) ?

Yes they had commited huge fails in the game and tried to root the ut3 to the classic feel of old UT and they tried to fix ( too late ) the issues when came gold...I think is a huge error Epic to think in this manner...They shelved the game only due to "the low interest of this game"? I dont think so, there is many facts that came sink down ut3 to the sea deep.

I would like to say to Epic here ( despite a bunch people that does not slap into the game because of the flaws ): Here are people in beyoundreal, epic games and other minor relevant ut sites that people likes ut in all or some of the series, I think they must investigate where are the fails located at. If you investigate where went wrong with this game you in the future can avoid or will know how to fix it. The core problem where is located there is just the solution for that problem.

I will support this game because I like their world and their stuff. Anyway only they need to learn to put the objectives in this way:

1) As first priority: Design and gameplay, Design and gameplay, Design and gameplay ...Until you get convinced is funny the layouts and those stuff that usually came in the game and maps.
2) Introduce crazy and funny ideas ( logically be careful not to unbalance the game core, movement, ratio fires etc... ) or simply get into mixing old and news ideas ( news pickups or bring on the ripper or so )
3) Programming ( this can be done since beginning but must be introduced at very end game's production)
4) Do you want gain more and more money? Do not use a game only for showing the goodies for the current unreal engine. And please dont put any date release like Midway did you with your game that came as result an incompleted game.

Resuming in this order: gameplay --> money

I think you will obtain not only money as well you can gain many players. But as I said dont put money-graphics first before the game; the game first and more later the money.

Last edited:

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
Well if Epic going to develop new ut game they should give their time and attention only for ut if they want to success

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Seriously guys? The Ripper is the suckiest UT weapon of them all, maybe if they gave it a damage boost it might be good but otherwise forget it.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Seriously guys? The Ripper is the suckiest UT weapon of them all, maybe if they gave it a damage boost it might be good but otherwise forget it.

I think it is absolutely useful weapon if used right - and I'm not talking about spamming blades all over the place. It is part of signature UT arsenal.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
UT2k4 has some of the worst gameplay of the series.

Heresy!

Well actually it depends - the UT2k4 gameplay works well in the more open larger scale maps imho and the UT3 gameplay works in the tighter DM ones. Whether they'd consider tweaking the mechanics between the two idk.

Having enjoyed and played both extensively, then having taken a long break from both. I found Ut2k4 takes longer to get competitive at again , suggesting more depth to the skill set required. UT2k4 ONS definitely has more of the 'feel good' factor than UT3 imho. I'd guess in part because there is time to savor (say) a quality dodge/shock combo kill, for example. What I'm trying to say is, UT3's fast pace, combined reduced player agility(due to the nerfed dodge) took a lot of the fun and artistry out of it.

For the next UT, you could have the most beautiful worlds ever created, but if the player moves like a brick, i.e, if that gameplay skill set depth isn't there, it'd be unlikely to garner a huge following.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Heresy!

... UT2k4 ONS definitely has more of the 'feel good' factor than UT3 because there is longer to savora (say) a quality dodge/shock combo kill,for exampl., ...

Without that great improvement called hoverboard to avoid huge footstep in large distance on ONS maps? No ( the only negative with hv is that you cant defend yourself while they are shootin you, but well is ok )

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Without that great improvement called hoverboard to avoid huge footstep in large distance on ONS maps? No ( the only negative with hv is that you cant defend yourself while they are shootin you, but well is ok )

I was gonna mention the hoverboard as one of the few true improvements, a case where WAR > ONS. So yeah, that's definitely a keep.

Basically, I just think the UT3 on-foot gameplay on the large maps seems all wrong , just too restricted. Turning tight corners in DM it isn't really an issue . Whether removing the old longer dodge and double wall dodge was a sop to appease the console crowd idk. But more agility is always a good thing imho.

This btw, is what many hate about COD and BF , limiting players options to use movement creatively shouldn't be what UT's about , movement and accuracy should have equal importance in design.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Epic needs to be a bit more humble and look at what other devs with F2P games are doing right. TF2, QL and Tribes Ascend (not playing it but they seem to be doing ok) comes to mind. BL2 wont be F2P but Gearbox seems to have identified the problems (that both UT3 and BL1 had to some extent) in their Loveletter.

During the last couple of years we PC-players have become used to get promises that "it wont be a console-port" etc but in the end thats what weve got (mostly, theres been som exceptions)
Heres a few examples,

- Cut as much crap between the player and the action as possible.
- Make it easy to connect and communicate to/with both friends and unknown players with all the various way thats possible these days.
- Embrace the modding community (make it easier to install maps etc)
- Do NOT remove standard PC features