Oh flower of Scotland

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
ive actually heard(not confirmed) that scotland is seeing its tax money go to England and that they are actually rather self sufficient.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Scotland would be in the same financial position as Ireland or Iceland - we all know how well they are doing right now.

Scotlands GDP is around £85 billion. If they'd been independant when the RBS collapsed they'd have lost over a full quarter of their GDP (£25 billion). The RBS is now 90% owned by the UK taxpayer - the majority stake at which no longer resides in Scotland for that reason.

Let's not also include that the majority of Scotlands profitable industry actually comes almost directly from its ties in the wider UK; given that the bulk of European trading comes through that London->Zurich corridor, and Scotland would be pushed well out into the periphery.

The Scots can do what they like though, I'm sat quite happy in the south of England right now, so it will have little effect on me.

hogsy

Dec 5, 2011
Trocara
hogsy.me
ive actually heard(not confirmed) that scotland is seeing its tax money go to England and that they are actually rather self sufficient.

And the reason probably why the majority of tax money gets invested into England is because well... It makes up the majority of the UK (some people should try looking at a map) :rolleyes:
If you take that into account I'm sure the overall amount that goes to Scotland would be on equal balance with their overall needs and the same goes for Wales and Northern Ireland.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
And the reason probably why the majority of tax money gets invested into England is because well... It makes up the majority of the UK (some people should try looking at a map) :rolleyes:

It's because London and the surrounding area constitutes 35% of the UKs total GDP, and has a population density many times that of Scotland.

If you take that into account I'm sure the overall amount that goes to Scotland would be on equal balance with their overall needs and the same goes for Wales and Northern Ireland.

I suspect the Scots do indeed get what they need (actually, they probably do not get enough and are under-developed by comparison to the south of England - but the north of England, as well as Wales suffer from the same problems). I do however suspect that if you remove the south of England from the tax payer equation, Scotland won't be looking too financially happy.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
I'm just curious to see what happens. The arguments for and against and how it all turns out. To see how they change or adjust things internally if there is independence; how they handle they're defense, etc.

Also, the version I'm familiar with:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axGiXu_v1pM[/M]

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
tumblr_lvrcnlWMK71qibz0jo1_400.gif