Battle-Field 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Don't bamp it bro. :eek:

BF3 is just another sign of the greed that is EA.
DICE fell for it long ago, and BioWare is joining them at at breakneck pace.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Just another sign of the greed that is EA? How? I'm curious. I've been loving the hell out of this game. The Karkand map pack they recently released is great and free for preorders, but would definitely be worth the $10 to buy it otherwise. I've put in about 30hours in the game and I don't regret a thing.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Just another sign of the greed that is EA? How? I'm curious. I've been loving the hell out of this game. The Karkand map pack they recently released is great and free for preorders, but would definitely be worth the $10 to buy it otherwise. I've put in about 30hours in the game and I don't regret a thing.

I've never played a Battlefield game and I cannot comment on their level of quality; this opinion is from a more general perspective.

Remember the days when official map packs didn't cost us a dime? And DLC didn't exist? And games didn't come in three separate full-retail installments (each with their own DLC) for you to get the whole experience? I'm sorry, and again this is just my opinion, but I really miss the days where you spent $40 or $50 on a game with a complete no-cliffhanger start-to-finish experience and the developers didn't try to nickel and dime an extra $20-$30 out of you for shit that usually SHOULD have been on the disc in the first place, and the rest of the time usually isn't worth paying the extra $15 for. There are exceptions to this, of course; for example, the Fallout: New Vegas DLC's are more like expansion packs were in the old days, and I think the prices for those kinds of DLC are usually justified. But charging $10 for a map pack? That is fucking retarded.

And, of course, you buy them because your friends bought them, so it's necessary to have that content or you can't play with your friends. This is one of the reasons why I stopped playing online, and also why I never felt that the $50 a year for Live was justified. I'm sure this post is gonna get a lot of hate, but I still can't understand why it is necessary for us to pay $60 to buy the game, and then pay an additional $20-$30 (and possibly even more) on top of that to get the most out of that game. And let's face it, with games the way they are these days, the game probably wasn't even that stellar to begin with. This isn't even counting the extra $50 per year if you want to play them online on an X360.

Eh, sorry. End rant.

Last edited:

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Very generally speaking, IMO it has just gone from $30-$40 expansion packs once a year to $10 DLC a few times a year. I remember buying Lord of Destruction for $40 when it first was released. It's really nothing new, it's just that distribution has become much more simple with faster and faster internet connections.

On topic: Back to Karkand is a great addition though I never did enjoy Wake Island. I sure played the hell out of the other three maps in BF2 so this is like an early Christmas present.

The times when I can join a friend and tag-team in a tank or chopper are the best. The other times when I can put my years of FPS conditioning to use and go on a rampage are still as fun as ever too :)

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Very generally speaking, IMO it has just gone from $30-$40 expansion packs once a year to $10 DLC a few times a year. I remember buying Lord of Destruction for $40 when it first was released. It's really nothing new, it's just that distribution has become much more simple with faster and faster internet connections.

On topic: Back to Karkand is a great addition though I never did enjoy Wake Island. I sure played the hell out of the other three maps in BF2 so this is like an early Christmas present.

The times when I can join a friend and tag-team in a tank or chopper are the best. The other times when I can put my years of FPS conditioning to use and go on a rampage are still as fun as ever too :)

This is all ways. The only thing that I wish is that they had a two man jet (because I'm way fucking better with Jets than Helis)

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Here's the original, not some guy trying to get views on his channel:

[M]http://youtu.be/FOaGhE_sejI[/M]

It's an attempt to recreate the "loopzook" from BF1942. It's just not possible because the rudders don't stay in place after you exit the vehicle in BF3 like they did with BF1942.

[M]http://youtu.be/k-wFI9vTqto[/M]

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I have this game but I don't ever play it. A friend bought it for me so we could play at a LAN (lol .... :() I am SlayerDragon in Battlelog, so add me and maybe I will find time to fire it up. ps I am terrible and you don't want me on your team.

Also, I was really annoyed because I tried to practice flying on an empty server, and I discovered that my XBox 360 controller did not work for flight. The triggers are supposed to control throttle, and the game doesn't recognize the input when I am in the cockpit. In the menus, it lets me bind them just fine though. I can see the ailerons and rudder moving when I steer, but I can't move forward. Of course, my damn battery pack for that thing just died so I guess I should replace that, too. My old joystick is busted and constantly turns slightly right (or left, I forget which) and no amount of calibration seems to eliminate that. Poop.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I have this game but I don't ever play it. A friend bought it for me so we could play at a LAN (lol .... :() I am SlayerDragon in Battlelog, so add me and maybe I will find time to fire it up. ps I am terrible and you don't want me on your team.

Also, I was really annoyed because I tried to practice flying on an empty server, and I discovered that my XBox 360 controller did not work for flight. The triggers are supposed to control throttle, and the game doesn't recognize the input when I am in the cockpit. In the menus, it lets me bind them just fine though. I can see the ailerons and rudder moving when I steer, but I can't move forward. Of course, my damn battery pack for that thing just died so I guess I should replace that, too. My old joystick is busted and constantly turns slightly right (or left, I forget which) and no amount of calibration seems to eliminate that. Poop.

I fly with my 360 controller, and it works great.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I got my dad BF3 for PC. Who was the joker that said us console gamers get screwed hasn't had to fiddle with EA's Origin(and Lord British must be furious too.). :mad:

If this is the future of PC gaming I'll happily get the next console on launch day.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I got my dad BF3 for PC. Who was the joker that said us console gamers get screwed hasn't had to fiddle with EA's Origin(and Lord British must be furious too.). :mad:

If this is the future of PC gaming I'll happily get the next console on launch day.

Sign up, log in, download. Sure, having another service sucks, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Anyone that isn't willing to deal with spending a few minutes dealing with boring stuff to have a bigger, better looking, better controlling, etc. boggles my mind.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Sign up, log in, download. Sure, having another service sucks, but it really isn't that big of a deal. Anyone that isn't willing to deal with spending a few minutes dealing with boring stuff to have a bigger, better looking, better controlling, etc. boggles my mind.

Jason, that's totally besides the point and Origin does none of the above for BF3 :)

If at least they had a huge button on the cover proclaiming origin required but that's not the case. it's being slipped on your PC quietly the second you want to install your game and I am currently toying with the idea to involve the german customer protection.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!

It's been a big deal to me. It's service has been intermittent, preventing me from playing the game that I could already successfully sign-in to the first arbitrary hurdle called Battle-log which I at-least find useful but I couldn't play the game offline even. Apparently some "localised" version of origin have an "Offline" mode but this doesn't include Europe evidently. It even prevented me from installing the game properly in the first place. I had to reinstall windows because Origin, not the BF3 installer but the Origin installer, didn't like a registry I had. There were no end of problems suffered by other folks too, in researching my problem I found an awful lot of people found that, despite having the BF3 CD's, Origin forced them to download the entire game before installing. On some occasions this would go wrong too forcing them to download more than once.

I wouldn't mind if it was useful, subtly implemented or necessary but it is useless and buggy. It might get better but it's already been enough of a nuisance to me that I'll refuse to play any more Origin supporting products.

EA have got to have their brains in some sort of diamond lined buckets if they thought that using Battlefield 3 as the product to launch origin was a good idea. No product on earth needs BOTH an origin service and a battle-log service... and I kind of like the battle-log one.

Last edited: