Sanctum Updated, DLC Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Sanctum is a pretty neat UDK-powered game that's a mix of co-op FPS and Tower-Defense and it is available on Steam. The free "Elysion One Overrun!" update is now out and includes a new map, Shotgun, and two new towers.

A few new pieces of paid DLC are out as well: two new maps: Aftermath and Aftershock add two new towers: The Violator, Penetrator, and Killing Floor. All of these are available for temporarily at 10% off.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Funny, I tried the demo this weekend and while I like the concept, I couldn't get totally into this. Also I was absolutely demolished because it wasn't clear which routes the AI would take.

Neat concept but still not high on my purchase list.

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
IMO Sanctum is a rather pretty bad UDK-powered game. It tries to be Defense Grid with a twist (first person gimmick) but it is boring as hell. Wouldn't waste any money on it, especially on lame DLC packs that should be free in the first place (if they knew anything about promoting a game).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
first person shouldn't have to be a gimmick - you set up your defenses and then go out and fight in first person like any other pawn on the field.
Of course, having on the fly camera views ranging from FP to Strategic view is necessary, as you say, to see what the heck is going on.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I really like the game. It has a fun premise and it nails the mixed genre thing. I can see how you'd think it was boring, it really just depends on how you feel about tower defense and trying lots of different paths.

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Looks promising, as I enjoy every game that involves massive killing of enemies. I only worry about how long could this game possibly last and whether it gets boring from lack of challenge or lack of gameplay options.
Still, cheap indie is probably worth a try.

Crusha K. Rool

Coding Crocodile
Sep 27, 2011
Germany
wiki.beyondunreal.com
Indeed. Even on Casual 2-player coop with just 20 waves does the round usually last an hour. But endless, now renamed to survival, got a lot harder and ends earlier now, as you can't choose a difficulty level for that anymore.

Actually sad, some people enjoyed to play endless against easy enemies and just see how far they could upgrade their maze. Then the game might also have last for more than five hours.

The new towers are a good addition, especially the Holo tower adds a whole new tactical element as it now finally matters where you actually place your towers in the maze. It also saves your own weapons from becoming obsolete at the end of the match as you can only upgrade it six times while the enemies keep their health scaling up with each wave.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
[screenshot]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576683235409167824/3AEEDBE5976C3077A234B9F8B7E756372525316D/[/screenshot]

All holo towers on level 6 :D

We got to wave 20 endless with this, then we got raped by flying enemies.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I really like the game. It has a fun premise and it nails the mixed genre thing. I can see how you'd think it was boring, it really just depends on how you feel about tower defense and trying lots of different paths.

it looks like eye-candy plus but this type of gameplay just doesn't float my boat. Probably a good teamplay game?

Crusha K. Rool

Coding Crocodile
Sep 27, 2011
Germany
wiki.beyondunreal.com
[screenshot]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576683235409167824/3AEEDBE5976C3077A234B9F8B7E756372525316D/[/screenshot]

All holo towers on level 6 :D

We got to wave 20 endless with this, then we got raped by flying enemies.

But that won't work for very long anymore. The developers know about the holo abuse and will fix it so that the damage of consecutive holos doesn't stack that much anymore. Then you will get like +100% of the first holo's bonus, +50% of the second one's, +25% of the third's and so on.

Here is another layout that excels even more:
http://imgkk.com/i/ygea.png

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I heard they were going to introduce 4 player co-op - is that in yet? That might make me and a few office buddies try it..

I don't know about your office but we go there to work! :mad:

oh well... looking at how much time I invested into Borderlands on lunch breaks recently already proves me wrong I guess...
Sanctum would be a nice one to try in co-op but I kinda doubt I will ever be able to tear anyone at the office away from TF2 :lol: