Epic Pres: PC A Primary Platform Again

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I really need to try this. Is there a guide on getting UDK up and running just for botmatch?
You can just download it and install it. Then you'll find an executable you can run which runs the UT demo.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
"There's indication that Epic may be setting its sights on smaller titles that would appear on Steam, the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade. "

If they are only going to release PC games through systems like Steam, they will be killing a lot of sales. (this is where you all start yelling "Steam hater" ) There are a lot of gamers that don't have high speed internet. Downloading a game like UT could take them a week. ( mild exaggeration )

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
The biggest thing is that in engine updates they often optimize or drastically improve the performance AND the looks. I mean, even on older crap hardware, the UDK UT3 levels look so much better and PLAY so much better (because of improved performance). The stuff that kills performance is optional, and I think they'd be wise to either leave that out of updates, or release specific packs of levels/characters that actually make use of it.

And ..it'd be the latest DX11 incorporated engine build I'd guess, so the fancy DX11 features would, in all likelihood, already be there, in what hopefully(this time) would be a highly customizable proper PC graphic settings menu. DX11 is pretty feature complete anyway as was DX9. In fact, It'd be surprising if it wasn't built around and for DX10/11 class HW only. Capable DX11 Cards can be had for not much more than the price of the latest AAA game, so they may as well.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If they are only going to release PC games through systems like Steam, they will be killing a lot of sales. (this is where you all start yelling "Steam hater" ) There are a lot of gamers that don't have high speed internet. Downloading a game like UT could take them a week. ( mild exaggeration )
I won't say Steam hater, but Steam is the best way to get in front of PC gamers. It has 30 million users, averaging between 2-4 million active users at any given time. I'd rather have them using Steam that, essentially, any other middleware they could use.

I honestly don't think they'd lose much if any sales. If I had to guess, I'd bet that UT3 made more money in the first couple of months on Steam than it did the rest of the time it was at retail on PC.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I'd take steam over shitty gamespy or ea for sure and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same way.

Digital distribution is the way things are headed and I'd rather have steam running that part of gaming than any other 3rd party.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
I can't take this seriously when it was only a little while ago that Epic reaffirmed their commitment to consoles. Call me a pessimist, but this is probably just empty words. Of course it would be great if they really went back to the PC as their main platform, but if they do, they'd better put more effort into their games. No UT3 launch repeats, please.

Steam = GFWL = Gamespy = Bowel Cancer

Fixed. ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, they have, and luckily not many Microsoft games make it to Windows.
Actually, if they did, the outcry of busted games would likely be louder and maybe Microsoft would make something that works.
Can you name a single not-published-by-Microsoft game that uses GFWL? I can't...

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Fallout 3, GTA 4, BioShock 2, Bulletstorm, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Section 8, Street Fighter 4, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Dead Rising 2, and a bunch of others.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'd take steam over shitty gamespy or ea for sure and I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same way.

Digital distribution is the way things are headed and I'd rather have steam running that part of gaming than any other 3rd party.

My thoughts exactly. Steam provides enough positives that it makes the pain of it being a DRM solution by nature fade away.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
My thoughts exactly. Steam provides enough positives that it makes the pain of it being a DRM solution by nature fade away.

Such as? Mandatory waiting for steam and game patches? A lot of wasted memory? Almost constant disk activity even when you're not doing anything (I'm pretty sure it's caused by the half shitty browser)? Having the option to lose all games when Valve feels like it?

Sure, the in-game browser is nice (specially to look up a walkthrough to get past that impossible part in the game).

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Sure, the in-game browser is nice (specially to look up a walkthrough to get past that impossible part in the game).

XFire delivers that for me. In fact, it delivers everything else that Steam has, minus the distribution and DRM.

So yes, no DRM and no middleware is more than anything else. They should go the Stardock/Ubisoft way (the new Ubisoft, not the old one) and provide bonuses for those who have registered their game on their website (like the MMH6 Conflux system).

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
The following respresents my situation with their service in the northeast USA and might not reflect anyone else's experience. In other words, YMMV.

Such as? Mandatory waiting for steam and game patches?

I don't have to wait because I leave Steam running while I'm at work. Everything is usually patched and ready for me when I get home unless I have to pull in something new.

They're also moving toward sending down diffs instead of full files starting with DotA 2 which should reduce the amount of time spent waiting for downloads and updates.

A lot of wasted memory?

~50 Mb is a drop in the ocean when you're running 4 GB system.

Almost constant disk activity even when you're not doing anything (I'm pretty sure it's caused by the half shitty browser)?

You sure this isn't Vista/7 doing a disk defrag when system is idle?

Having the option to lose all games when Valve feels like it?

Hasn't affected me personally in 7 years.

Friends system, scheduling, pre-loads, automatic patching, a wealth of information in their forums, sales, etc. In addition to the browser overlay.

Last edited: