Let's have a poll on us older gamer's reflexes.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

asdf

• 150-199 ms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200-249 ms

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 250-299 ms

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • 300-349 ms

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • 350-399 ms

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • 400-449 ms

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 450-499 ms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500+ ms

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Porkchop sandwiches.

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I seem to be averaging about 220 using peripheral vision and 250 - 270 looking right at it. A few times it immediately changed colors after starting it and gave me 290 or more and once it gave me 10.657 because it changed to white.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Hey I found a little trick. Right after you press start then click and hold down on the stop button so you only have to release it when the color changes.

This actually improved my average to around .210 and I was even able to get 0.090 once. :eek:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Hey I found a little trick. Right after you press start then click and hold down on the stop button so you only have to release it when the color changes.

This actually improved my average to around .210 and I was even able to get 0.090 once. :eek:
Hahha, that's cheating. Well, maybe not since there's a small delay from mouse click to registering it. I tried it and it dropped my average peripheral vision reflex to 185 - 190 and my looking score at 220 - 230.

I must really be slow as hell clicking that mouse to make such a difference or it could be because the mouse is getting old and worn out because sometimes it double clicks on single clicks and doesn't register at all at other times. :/

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
220 - 230. Flawed test though, it doesn't take software and hardware lag into consideration.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I mostly hit 300-350. Pretty normal for a human. Most games these days don't really require lightning reflexes though.

edit: If you click the stop button, without letting go and wait for the colour change to let go, you can basically cut off 50-100 ms :p

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
220 - 230. Flawed test though, it doesn't take software and hardware lag into consideration.

It uses Javascript. Not exactly the best solution for a split-second test and is browser dependant. Tests using a Java applet are probably more reliable.

Code:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

//Reflext Tester- By Andy Scott (based on script by Jasper van Zandbeek)
//http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/4320/

var startTime=new Date();
var endTime=new Date();
var startPressed=false;
var bgChangeStarted=false;
var maxWait=20;
var timerID;

var colors=new Array("tomato","chocolate","limegreen","crimson","darkslategray",
"aliceblue","mediumslateblue","cornflowerblue","darkorchid","darkkhaki","coral",
"darkolivegreen","cadetblue")

if (document.all||document.getElementById)
document.write('<div id="reflex" style="width:135px;height:135px;border:1px solid black" onClick="stopTest()"></div>')

function startTest()
{
        if (document.all)
        document.all.reflex.style.backgroundColor=colors[Math.floor(Math.random()*colors.length)];
        else if (document.getElementById)
	document.getElementById("reflex").style.backgroundColor=colors[Math.floor(Math.random()*colors.length)];
        else if (document.layers)
        document.reflexns.document.reflexns_sub.document.bgColor=colors[Math.floor(Math.random()*colors.length)];
	bgChangeStarted=true;
	startTime=new Date();
}

function remark(responseTime)
{
	var responseString="";
	if (responseTime < 0.10)
		responseString="Well done!";
	if (responseTime >= 0.10 && responseTime < 0.20)
		responseString="Nice!";
	if (responseTime >=0.20 && responseTime < 0.30)
		responseString="Could be better...";
	if (responseTime >=0.30 && responseTime < 0.60)
		responseString="Keep practicing!";
	if (responseTime >=0.60 && responseTime < 1)
		responseString="Very slow..";
	if (responseTime >=1)
		responseString="Did you fall asleep?";

return responseString;
}

function stopTest()
{
	if(bgChangeStarted)
	{
		endTime=new Date();
		var responseTime=(endTime.getTime()-startTime.getTime())/1000;
                if (document.all)
		document.all.reflex.style.backgroundColor="white";
                else if (document.getElementById)
		document.getElementById("reflex").style.backgroundColor="white";
                else if (document.layers)
                document.reflexns.document.reflexns_sub.document.bgColor="white";      
		alert("Your response time is: " + responseTime + " seconds " + "\n" + remark(responseTime));
		startPressed=false;
		bgChangeStarted=false;
	}
	else
	{
		if (!startPressed)
		{
			alert("press start first to start test");
		}
		else
		{       
			clearTimeout(timerID);
			startPressed=false;             
			alert("You pressed too early!");
		}               
	}
}

var randMULTIPLIER=0x015a4e35;
var randINCREMENT=1;
var today=new Date();
var randSeed=today.getSeconds();
function randNumber()
{
	randSeed = (randMULTIPLIER * randSeed + randINCREMENT) % (1 << 31);
	return((randSeed >> 15) & 0x7fff) / 32767;
}

function startit()
{
	if(startPressed)
	{
		alert("Already started. Press stop to stop");
		return;
	}
	else
	{
		startPressed=true; 
		timerID=setTimeout('startTest()', 6000*randNumber());
	}
}
// --> 
            </script>

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Low 200's on my first few tries. Make sure you hold the stop button when the test is running, then all you need to do is release when the color changes.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
HEY EVERYONE, SINCE NO ONE HAS SAID IT YET I THOUGHT I'D LET YOU IN ON A LITTLE PIECE OF ADVICE, JUST HOLD DOWN THE STOP BUTTON AND RELEASE IT WHEN THE COLOR CHANGES TO IMPROVE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1112412411

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond

It better be that high too as I subject myself constantly to very intense FPS gaming.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
This test is stupid because it measures the time until you *release* the mouse button.

<@hyhwethewagocobo> Ner, if you just hold the stop button down, it gives a more accurate result.

Did the test 5 times using this, average 275, min 257, max 301.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
This test is stupid because it measures the time until you *release* the mouse button.

<@hyhwethewagocobo> Ner, if you just hold the stop button down, it gives a more accurate result.

Did the test 5 times using this, average 275, min 257, max 301.

That is what I said in irc. Our secret discussions are being revealed.