Linux Games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
And in related (and very good) news: http://sociable.co/2011/08/06/doom-3-source-code-to-be-open-sourced-by-the-end-of-the-year/

John Carmack said:
Firing across the bow of other games’ developers Carmack challenged them to also release their source code to the development community. “I would almost put this out as a challenge to some of the software companies – there are a lot of you who could be releasing seminal, classic old source code that the community would appreciate, that young programmers can learn from, and that all these other benefits can come out of.”

One could hope that other games’ developers are listening, especially those based in Cary. :)

(not holding my breath!)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah but RAGE probably won't be available on Linux, which is disappointing to say the least.

At least there is a glimmer of hope in the future. Desura has a Linux client on the verge of release!

http://www.desura.com/news/desura-linux-developement-downloads-and-bug-fixes

Also, an interesting article on Phoronix about some Q&A responses icculus gave during the HIB3.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTc2Ng

This in particular makes me think this is what happened to UT3 Linux/OSX:
Other notes: Don't use middleware that is closed source or charges per platform (you know who you are!).
Epic probably didn't want to license their middleware on yet another platform. Lame!

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Full HD? Holy carp. Are you just using x11grab there, or something else? And what is your recording output codec, then?

Code:
#bash - inferno
pactl load-module module-loopback > .tempmodule
ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1680x1050 -r 30 -b 4000k -minrate 4000k -maxrate 4000k -i :0.0 -f alsa -i pulse ~/Videos/newvid.mpg
pactl unload-module `cat .tempmodule`

Loop back is to capture my mic as well as the game sounds. I disable it for recording just game stuff.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Oh, it's not full HD then, it's Widescreen Super Extended Graphics Array Plus. Hm, I thought YouTube scaled the video down one notch so your video would be 720p and not 1080p max...

Still, the fact that you can record WSXGA+ content using the MPEG-4 ASP format (I assume that's what FFmpeg uses when it detects the .mpg extension) is pretty amazing. I get slowdown even if I use Motion JPEG codec, and that one is very fast. What are your PC specs, then?

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Oh, it's not full HD then, it's Widescreen Super Extended Graphics Array Plus. Hm, I thought YouTube scaled the video down one notch so your video would be 720p and not 1080p max...

Still, the fact that you can record WSXGA+ content using the MPEG-4 ASP format (I assume that's what FFmpeg uses when it detects the .mpg extension) is pretty amazing. I get slowdown even if I use Motion JPEG codec, and that one is very fast. What are your PC specs, then?

16 month old rig with a new GTX 560 TI and an i7 OC'd to 3.75ghz

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That explains it, my PC is 16 month period without any overclocking, so it's a quad-core at 2.8 GHz. And, of course, fglrx graphics drivers.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I just got borderlands installed though wine. Runs like a charm (solid 60fps) but I kind of want to tweak the FOV and get rid of any mouse smoothing or shit like that. Where should I look?