COD: MW2 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
So, you'd rather play a game that's more broken balance-wise, less supported, and has 50x more hackers simply because you can't use a controller?
No silly, I'd rather not play on either platform. There is more reasons than the controller, if you would read the quote you quoted me on.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This is exactly what the PC world used to be. We got a taste of it, now, with the consolization infecting the PC it urges for this kind of humor. Though, I recognize this as the typical TF2 update style from Valve, they're entirely irresponsible for the failure of MW2 PC.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
This is exactly what the PC world used to be. We got a taste of it, now, with the consolization infecting the PC it urges for this kind of humor. Though, I recognize this as the typical TF2 update style from Valve, they're entirely irresponsible for the failure of MW2 PC.

How does Valve have anything to do with MW2 being a steaming pile?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I got the platinum trophy for this game last night. Decided to go for it a week or so ago and went through all the Spec Ops missions on veteran except for one since I'd beaten the campaign 100% some time ago.

There are two Spec Ops that you have to do with two players -- one where the second player shoots an AC130 and another where the second player handles the minigun on a chopper.

I managed to do the AC130 one on my own by swapping controllers back and forth to deal with threats. I couldn't do the minigun one, though, but Neddaf helped last night by being the minigunner on my terrible connection that froze for half a second every three seconds. No wonder I never get host online. D:

So, yeah. Platinum trophies, woo. This is my second, the first being the first God of War (via the GoW Collection). Props to Neddaf for his assistance.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've reinstalled the game about a week ago.

The number of hackers sure has tonned down, but they certainly are still existent, I just have to say, I'm really surprised the game is still going. I wasn't tired of MW2 when I left; I was sick of IWnet and the stupid free weekend deals FAILS going on.

Anyway, I got into playing much harder/rewarding (adrenaline, not score) weapons, and the FAL is about as strong as the m9 with the FMJ attachement. I'm really liking the handgun so far, I was tired of ACR/Scar-h/G18's.

And the M1014 is a blast as well. I wasn't sure if I should keep FMJ or get the extended mag attachment.

For some reasons some weapons have a MUCH better range efficiency using FMJ. I don't have a after-patch chart, but I'm sure the FMJ plays a major role on secondaries. The m9 pistol is all about 3-4 hits MAX from mid-long range, and probably 5-6 without it.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
You didn't try ground war. I fired it up shortly after talking to you the other day. Out of six games I got into, one of them was a normal match. The rest had the usual unlimited ammo on rust or some other kind of crazy ass mods that I don't even feel like explaining.

Went right back to TF2 then :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
< Still enjoying hack-free play six months later. I have seen literally zero aimbots, modded lobbies, etc. About the worst exploit I've seen is someone using a modded controller to shoot pistols at 1200 RPM.

Anyway, I got into playing much harder/rewarding (adrenaline, not score) weapons, and the FAL is about as strong as the m9 with the FMJ attachement. I'm really liking the handgun so far, I was tired of ACR/Scar-h/G18's.

And the M1014 is a blast as well. I wasn't sure if I should keep FMJ or get the extended mag attachment.

For some reasons some weapons have a MUCH better range efficiency using FMJ. I don't have a after-patch chart, but I'm sure the FMJ plays a major role on secondaries. The m9 pistol is all about 3-4 hits MAX from mid-long range, and probably 5-6 without it.
It's all in your head. FMJ only improves damage through walls; it has no bearing on range or damage otherwise.

M9 is 40-25 damage (just like CoD4, I believe). With Stopping Power this is a 2-3 hit kill depending on distance to target and without it it's 3-4. The M9 is the best handgun in the game, though, since it has barely any recoil and no fire rate restrictions (like the Deagle has). It bests the USP in all stats but its max damage range but given that it's a handgun it shouldn't be used from far away regardless.

The FAL is fun even on console. 55-35 damage normally, 55-40 with holographic, the latter of which makes it a two-shot kill at any range with Stopping Power. With Stopping Power it's also a one-shot headshot kill within its max damage distance with any attachment.

Honestly, with mouse precision I'm wondering why the FAL isn't the most-used weapon on PC (I hear it's all UMP and dual G18s). The FAL is what the G3 and M14 of CoD4 wanted to be -- actually useful and dangerous.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
< Still enjoying hack-free play six months later. I have seen literally zero aimbots, modded lobbies, etc. About the worst exploit I've seen is someone using a modded controller to shoot pistols at 1200 RPM.

Honestly, with mouse precision I'm wondering why the FAL isn't the most-used weapon on PC (I hear it's all UMP and dual G18s). The FAL is what the G3 and M14 of CoD4 wanted to be -- actually useful and dangerous.

It's only a problem if you don't play with your friends. If you got plenty of friends to play with all the time it doesn't matter. Good things have come out of hacks like the console anyways. Maybe you don't mind not having a command console, but I sure as **** do.

The FAL isn't popular because it sucks it close range, which is mostly what MW2 is. If you want range you normally just opt for the burst weapons or rifles which is literally click to kill. I'm not trying to brag but I can definitely click faster than your average player (got accused of using mousewheeling all the time with the G3) and the UMP is still better at bringing down people, especially multiple targets. The high damage, high hip-fire accuracy, and ability maintain speed (almost never need sights, you're always a harder target) is just perfect for close combat. Even if you can shoot the FAL at automatic speeds its still not as good.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The FAL is bad because it simply can't compete the fire rate/recoil of other weapons. The ACR for instance is much easier to use for someone who's really accurate. Also, even if the weapon is a one his kill in the head, well, you'll end up aiming at bodies 90% of the time. Everyone does that, it's the brain that simply wants you to aim the middle of your target.

Take the same person in a face off and the guy with the ACR would win most of the time. Especially longer range.

I don't think the FAL is THAT bad in close quarters, if someone has a shotgun or something else like dual faG18's then that's the end of you.

As for the FMJ and range, well, that might just be "in my head" but I swear.. I really seem to see a difference. See it that way, before they fixed it, the 1887 range was exploitable using FMJ. Why is that? Has the weapon damage been written down in a way that the FMJ attachment damage was "cooked" after the default weapon damage on launch so after they patched the 1887 at first glance they forgot to fix the FMJ damage as well? If not, then care to explain why the weapon had an obvious range advantage with FMJ.

Last edited:

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
I got the platinum trophy for this game last night. Decided to go for it a week or so ago and went through all the Spec Ops missions on veteran except for one since I'd beaten the campaign 100% some time ago.

There are two Spec Ops that you have to do with two players -- one where the second player shoots an AC130 and another where the second player handles the minigun on a chopper.

I managed to do the AC130 one on my own by swapping controllers back and forth to deal with threats. I couldn't do the minigun one, though, but Neddaf helped last night by being the minigunner on my terrible connection that froze for half a second every three seconds. No wonder I never get host online. D:

So, yeah. Platinum trophies, woo. This is my second, the first being the first God of War (via the GoW Collection). Props to Neddaf for his assistance.

you're welcome boo <3

The ac130 one was such bs, but whatevs. Glad to see you got it bro.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I thought the AC130 one was pretty easy, just lay on the 40mm constantly. The ones with juggernauts, those are known to be bs.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I thought the AC130 one was pretty easy, just lay on the 40mm constantly. The ones with juggernauts, those are known to be bs.

The last challenges from Echo? Estate was pretty easy once you understand a Jugger is coming right at you by the ambiant music change.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I just finished the campaign on Veteran.

It was pretty damn good expect for a few parts. Especially for the AI player preferences in "MOVE THE **** OUT OF THERE" kind of missions especially when you use your AI mates as cover. Like the data extraction mission that is ****ing annoying at the end. I managed to get over it after a few hundred attempts. I went for the front door, then shot the 3 RPG dudes on the road, head for the shack, trow a flash bang on the incoming flankers, then proceed to get into cover behind another shack, an open one, and then admire the aimbot action going because man, those AI's there have some "I RUN AT YOU BUT NEVER MISS WITH THAT LMG" action going on. Eventually I finally managed to get past that mission. Countless times I've tried to just run as fast as possible (because it seemed logical) they would ALWAYS kill me RIGHT when I got at the open shack.

And of course the final chase was a bitch until you figure out you can dodge the chopper and kill the enemy boats. Everything else like the Hearthbeat sensor mission and cutscene-action minigames is as easy as before.

Last edited:

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
Is is possible to change FOV to 90 in multiplayer, preferably without getting a VAC ban?

I'm sick of running around with blinders!

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Is is possible to change FOV to 90 in multiplayer, preferably without getting a VAC ban?

I'm sick of running around with blinders!

Open steam.
Right click on Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer.
Click "Delete Local Content"
Got to the seam store
Buy Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare
Install it.
Run it.
Hit ~ to open the console.
Type cg_fov 85 and hit enter.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Open steam.
Right click on Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer.
Click "Delete Local Content"
Got to the seam store
Buy Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare
Install it.
Run it.
Hit ~ to open the console.
Type cg_fov 85 and hit enter.

You forgot a few things

-Prepare for badmins to kick you for using a toob or jumping more than twice in a row. My favorite is showing up with a name some kid doesn't like.
-Prepare for punkbuster to be a fucking punk and kick you for no apparent reason
-Be ready for punkbuster to not work at all in some cases