PSN got hacked...and is still down.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Yeeesh.

A snippet from a new post from PSN's official blog.
Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yep its a bum deal but you know what, its called prepare in case the worst is going to happen. I already changed my emails password and I will be changing my debit card if necessary*

What sucks is that it took so long for Sony to admit that yes information was compromised. How do you not know from the get go?

*means I can track my debit purchases easily and if I notice one erroneous purchase, the thing is getting canceled.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
hmmm

I never connected my PS3 to my network so I never had access to the PSN network, but I did create some PS3 account thingy at the PS website on the comp. I'm not sure if that is what got hacked or not, so should I be worried?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Don't get me wrong, this is quite unprofessional from Sony to take this long and I've lost a good deal of trust in them, but that's a pretty big blanket statement to make Crazy. :/

PSN for the last couple of years has been a much better experience than the short hours of GFWL I've had on PC recently. Even in it's (PSN) infancy. And it just had got Steam integrated for the day before it went down... That's in my opinion at least.

Still, I do hope they learn a good deal from this, but I still won't trust them with credit card details and any other sensible information they ask for in the future.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It's pretty much unacceptable. Any software engineer knows just how easy it is to protect and encrypt personal information - the right level of encryption will make it practically impossible to obtain the information even if you have the entire database.

The fact that it's taken Sony a full week to admit people have lost their personal details, and the possibility of having lost their bank card details is actually kind of infuriating.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
It's pretty much unacceptable. Any software engineer knows just how easy it is to protect and encrypt personal information - the right level of encryption will make it practically impossible to obtain the information even if you have the entire database.

The fact that it's taken Sony a full week to admit people have lost their personal details, and the possibility of having lost their bank card details is actually kind of infuriating.

Sony should be sued for this...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
And I thought GFWL was bad

This is only the second outage and first major intrusion that PSN has ever had since 2006, I think that is a pretty good track record.

Still though people have a right to be angry and a little weary on what details they put in their account from now on.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
What's most amazing to me, is that 77 million accounts stolen is a metric ****ton of data to steal over a wire.

If one person's account details came to 1 kilobyte of data (pfft, more likely in the megabytes region), that's over 70 gigabytes stolen before anyone even noticed anything was wrong.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The service has been off for a week. They would have had to collect that data before PSN went down.