Early Portal 2 Launch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm really not convinced that we will be able to get the game to launch early. They keep calculating the time remaining and saying we are 2 days ahead, however that relies on the movement of the overall completion bar being linear the entire time. If the game progress bars matter, then we are totally screwed since as games 100% the work put into those games won't matter at all and the relatively small amount of people being added to idle on the other game will have less of a net effect.

Killing Floor for example says it has 8 days to go and it has 5,000 people playing. Adding the roughly 1500 people from the ARG locations to Killing Floor will possibly decrease that by close to 30% but that's still going to put it way over the length of time until Tuesday.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
But just by completing WETW we took an hour off the release date. Even if we only complete half the games we will get the game 6 or 7 hours early possibly.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The bar is nearly through a third of the progress. That means there's roughly another 50 hours until it is filled. So we'll get it around this time on monday.

But I think we'll get it tomorrow. One day early isn't really worth this entire ARG.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well I got all 36 potatoes and a golden one too, yey

It only took all day and some of yesterday.

The joys of having **** all to do :)
I had been collecting the potatoes all along.

IMO if the game doesn't come out over the weekend, it really doesn't matter if they just release it on Tuesday. People with jobs and lives (aka, most of their users) likely won't have any time to play it during the day on Monday and anyone who took time off for the game probably already asked for Tuesday off.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Is this game supposed to be longer than the first one? I'm on vacation next week and want to finish it before reality sets in again.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Is this game supposed to be longer than the first one? I'm on vacation next week and want to finish it before reality sets in again.

Yeah. They keep quoting 6-8 hours for SP and another 6 or so hours for co-op.

As for what Brizz is saying, I concur. I really do wish that it were coming out this weekend, but it doesn't seem like it. I'll get to it next weekend then, when I have the time.

~Jason

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The ultimate troll goes to Valve. 56 hours puts it roughly at Tuesday morning. People who were hoping for an early release are going to be raging hardcore. And the money you gave to Valve in hopes of something like that happening just bought Gabe a new set of knives for his collection :lol:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
And the money you gave to Valve in hopes of something like that happening...
...is partially supporting a bunch of indie developers and some really awesome indie games, both financially and through publicity. And though the progress system could have been built to require less play time while still supporting these indie developers, there are Hints that we are closer than it appears to an early release (or perhaps this is optimism on my part).

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
"http://valvearg.com/w/images/7/7b/Mail_from_Jeep_to_Ryukaki.png"

Wait wait, Ryukaki? Kayd Hendricks!? Damn that dude must love video game ARGs, this is the second one I know of that he's been involved in.:lol:

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Someone that is supposedly a Valve employee said that all the bars have to fill up to get an early release. If so, it's not coming out over the weekend. And if it doesn't come out over the weekend, then who cares about it coming out early.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Someone that is supposedly a Valve employee said that all the bars have to fill up to get an early release. If so, it's not coming out over the weekend. And if it doesn't come out over the weekend, then who cares about it coming out early.

I'm in college. I have lots of free time during the day. I only have 1 class on monday anyways.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Luckily, my rotating shift schedule at work lined up just perfectly with Portal 2's release. After I finish up work today I don't have to be back until Wednesday night. I'll have Monday to contribute a bit to the early release, then plenty of time to enjoy the game right out the gate. Well, except for that dentist appointment...

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
I don't have any potatoes. I nearly got The Ball one but the game crashed while I was googling for the password.

Just for the record, they did an outstanding job on the Portal level in The Ball. If you've not played it; it's totally worth it.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Just for the record, they did an outstanding job on the Portal level in The Ball. If you've not played it; it's totally worth it.

Agreed 100%. It's probably the best of the Portal 2-related content out of all the Potato Sack games. It fits the game and the challenges are really fun.