UT3 Appreciation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
I don't think UT3 is bad, but in stock form it is a little weak, and it didn't get more decent until the later patches came out, by which time the general pc gaming community was already losing interest. Now barely anyone plays it, and thus finding a decent server is pretty hard. My personal opinion is that too often maps are created with fancy graphics in mind, and have lost a sense of fun. Playing HOLP style maps is more enjoyable to me, as there is less clutter and they just feel like they have so much more freedom of movement.

p3rplex3d

Elephant Rider
Aug 19, 2009
Greed Multiplayer is the best thing about UT3 in my opinion. This coming from a very long time UT CTF player.

p3rplex3d

Elephant Rider
Aug 19, 2009
That and everyone voting for Lost Cause EVERY FREAKING time.

I hear you, but I can't blame people for that. The server only has the stock maps and it's the most competitive and fun map. I wish some of the custom maps server's were packed like the Epic Greed server. I am sick of all those damn maps!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well map-mixer, is an improvement but a) options it offers should be there by default b) map-mixer has it's own usability issues, although they're nothing compared to stock v1.0

a) Well, it's here now, so why not use it? Except if you don't know about it, that is.
b) Like what? Mind you that nearly everything there is configurable, so I'd think you can tweak things to your liking.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I hear you, but I can't blame people for that. The server only has the stock maps and it's the most competitive and fun map. I wish some of the custom maps server's were packed like the Epic Greed server. I am sick of all those damn maps!

It's just a cluster **** all the time. I'd much rather play a larger map, especially since they have the Titan mutator.

I don't mind custom maps, as long as they are of quality, but a lot of the people who run those servers don't seem to agree.
I don't like waiting to download something only to find out it's a piece of embarrassing junk some dude put together learning how to use the editor, or remakes of maps we already have in UT3 (just moved the RL over two meters), or remakes of UT2004 maps that don't work in UT3 because there isn't a dodge jump anymore, etc..

I can only speak for myself but, if that is how every server was, I would've uninstalled this game.

Last edited:

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
1.) Spider-Mines: I remember how in UT2k4 any small map with spider-mines immediately turned into a hopping match with 32 players trying to avoid hundreds of the little exploding bastards skittering about in sadistic robotic glee. UT3 fixed that little problem by making them hard to get so there is rarely more of them than players.
2.) Vehicles: Nothing wrong with them before but offered a few new things like being able to use the side turret in the Hellbender as the driver, how many times have you seen a Hellbender drive out of the base with nobody but a driver in it in UT2k4?
3.) Balance: While I miss the look of UT2k4’s weapons I don’t miss their problems, every weapon has their advantage now.
4.) Character customization: Remember when everyone was playing as Gorge or Matrix? I’m glad those days are gone.

Now I miss the Juggernauts, Skaarj, actual Tournament mode, Assault, and random bot lists so you never know what ugly you’ll fight next but I’ll manage… speaking of which anyone know any mods to fix these problems? I really do miss our fat angry dwarfs… that were so fat… and angry…