Buying a new computer, decent specs?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
So I'm going to university in September and I've been saving up for a while. Looking around some websites (some recommended by friends) I've come across this setup. I'm upgrading from a really crappy laptop (Can't even run UT2004 on mid settings without noticeable lag) and I only really want to run TF2 and similar games in that "System requirements" class.

Am I getting my monies worth here? I'll be upgrading the RAM and HDD as soon as, so don't sorry about those :p Also I don't know if the hardware I've picked is compatible with each other. :(

2w30tq9.jpg

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Dual core-bad
2gb RAM-bad

Everything above with Vista-REALLY BAD

You can build a good gaming machine with a quad core, win7, and 4gb ram for under 800$ if you try hard enough.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I know you can definitely build a significantly better tower on newegg for 400 USD. I don't know if the equivalent is possible through UK retailers with the euro + VAT though.

So, to answer your question: you're probably not getting ripped off but you're not getting a great deal by any means either.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Wow, thanks for the quick replies :p

How much are you paying for it?

Price is at the top of the pic, £385.87

Dual core-bad
2gb RAM-bad

Everything above with Vista-REALLY BAD

You can build a good gaming machine with a quad core, win7, and 4gb ram for under 800$ if you try hard enough.

My budget is £400 :(

I agree. Build it your self and get better parts.

This is a custom build, but from preset parts on a website. I know a guy who runs a small computer shop in the post office down the road so I might see if he can do me a better deal.

I know you can definitely build a significantly better tower on newegg for 400 USD. I don't know if the equivalent is possible through UK retailers with the euro + VAT though.

So, to answer your question: you're probably not getting ripped off but you're not getting a great deal by any means either.

I've heard of newegg before, I'll check it out and see if they deliver to the UK, or if they have a UK site.

Last edited:

Tooly

Jun 26, 2009
I just built and AMD 450 setup with a 9800GT for $600 US which comes close to your price.

Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H motherboard, OCZ gold 2 x 1 gig (was expensive, you can get cheaper), Cooler Master 690 case (has 3 fans), Logitech MX 518 mouse, Ultra 650 watt power supply, LG dvd burner/writer and a 500 gig WD Blue hdd.

I saved $100 US by installing my old XP on it. Total cost was about $580 US or $380 to u Brits. It was a little more expensive because I bought everything at Compusa instead of Newegg but it was worth it.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
If you are on a budget, I would go AMD. You can get a phenom II quad core for the same price you paid for that E7400, and they are all compatible with all AM2/AM2+ mobos so that will save you some dough as well.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
If you are on a budget, I would go AMD. You can get a phenom II quad core for the same price you paid for that E7400, and they are all compatible with all AM2/AM2+ mobos so that will save you some dough as well.

Yeah, there was an AMD equivalent with the Phenom quad core and AM2 motherboard for a little less on that site too.

I'll wait until the computer guy down the road gets back to work (He's done his back in apparently) and I'll see if he can build me a better/similar system for less.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
The pic up there looks like an ad from three years ago, I'd be avoiding that "shop".

Aria do some half descent barebones that are within your budget, or something like this complete box which is only £20 over budget but far better than the thing you listed.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
The pic up there looks like an ad from three years ago, I'd be avoiding that "shop".

Aria do some half descent barebones that are within your budget, or something like this complete box which is only £20 over budget but far better than the thing you listed.

Thing is, those don't come with an OS installed, or a HDD. I have my own GeForce 6600GT 512MB card, so I can use that for now I guess.

I've picked a HDD and DVD Drive from that site and I guess I can grab WinXP or 7 from ebay.

1znyczn.jpg

Also, links to each of them

The tower
The Hard Drive
The thing where you put discs

EDIT: Was about to buy this, and Halifax screwed me over. I've forgotten my password for this "verified online payment" thing and now I need to ring them to get my pass reset D:
Might just wait until I get paid and get the gaming system you linked me to Deathmaker.

Last edited:

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
If you're in the UK have you checked out overclockers.co.uk scan.co.uk or novatech.co.uk? They usually have some good deals going and I've used all 3 myself no probs.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Can't you get Windows 7 at MS's relatively cheap tax-dodger rate seeing as you're off to Uni?

This. Most schools offer Win 7 from $10-30 here in the states, and I can't imagine that changing too much over there.

~Jason