Military Channel Ad using UT3's Defector Song

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I was watching the (discovery channel's) military channel earlier and a advertisement they showed was for their so-called 'tech thursday'. I immediately recognized the song they were playing in the background was 'Defector' (Can be heard in WAR-Avalanche) from UT3's soundtrack being played at about 300%-400% faster than the song actually is. The computer I am using at my home right now does not have any speakers so even if I could locate this ad on the interbutts I would not be able to prove it is the music. But if anyone who is familiar with the UT3 soundtrack or that song could just watch the military channel (if you enjoy doing so ) for about half an hour I am sure you will see the ad (or hear it). Again it is an ad for their tech Thursday and I am very sure they played the song defector at about 300% its normal speed.

Next week when I get to my other computer (with speakers) I will investigate this further...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, I have often heard things like the Evil Theme from Heroes of Might and Magic III being reused in various places on television. So that's not entirely new.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Are you sure that really was Defector and not just similar instrument samples being used? Because it sounds crap at 300% speed, no matter if you preserve pitch or not.

That said, I already heard Command & Conquer music and even a track from Empire Earth in various documentations.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I remember hearing one of those Metal Gear Solid 1's tension ambient tracks in documentations about terroristic stuff...

...and Spyro 2's first world theme for a WW2 history documentation :f

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
You need to grab the orb or do something that makes the game think your doing something important so it plays the nice music. Otherwise turn your volume up. Anyway I will have access to speakers soon.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Actually, if you have VLC, I'm pretty sure you can just play the music right out of the game files. What's the music formatted in? .ogg?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The only missing tracks are the Kevin Riepl ones (Coret, Strident, INDUSTRIAL), that are downloadable from his website.