UT3 Appreciation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
You know what? We've all been harpin' about how bad UT3 is, me included. :\. So, let's give Epic a bit of a break in this thread. Just post at least two things you liked about UT3.

1. Movement just feels right for me. A lot more like UT99.
2. Sound and music are both pretty great.
3. Weapons feel right as well. I can't really fault UT3's weapons except maybe the Redeemer. It looks kinda stupid.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's what I like about UT 3...

- The weapons have become more powerful w/o relying too much on hitscan, they really feel like the hardcore UT 1 versions. Sound effects of the weapons are also cool.

- I can have all of that in a weapon mutator for UT2004...oh, did I really say that? :D

Seriously, I do like the deathmatch & CTF modes since the gameplay is more ground based and not as floaty. And getting for only $20 off Steam doesn't hurt... ;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Many people have been harpin' UT3. In the past.

It's still my favourite of the three Tournament games, and playing it without mods is always fun.

anyway
1)Music
2)DeathMatch mode owns
3)Greed & Betrayal
4)Sounds and the taunts
5)The models
6)Weapons, gameplay-wise
7)Krall that are not being losers this time
8)Custom maps and mods, holy crap

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I played last night on my "new" video card. I can play at max details on everything with buttery smooth framerates, and it DOES make a huge difference in how fun the game is.

It seems ridiculous to claim you can make UT2004 weapons exactly like UT3 with one mutator, since you could theoretically make UT2003 or UT weapons exactly like UT3 weapons with one mutator as well but I don't see anyone trying to use that as a positive or negative :p

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
UT3 is a great game. Even at the original retail price it was cheap. That's because you can play for years and years. The game is deep and with so many maps, you never get bored. I played UT2004 until UT3 came out and I will play UT3 until the next one comes out.

I really don't know how to explain it, but I think it keeps your mind and senses very sharp and very quick. I am tottally hooked on the online public servers..

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Simply put, ut3 is the best in the ut series as far as core game-play mechanics are concerned and core gametypes dm/ctf. Nothing beats it, not even quack3.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
1. Carnage. I remember firing a rocket at a bot on one of the HOLP maps, dropping down below the ledge the bot was on, and having the giblets shower around me. Awesome.

2. Replay value, mainly due to having bots and map variety. I picked it up when it came out, and still play some DM maps every few days.

hanji

N00bonator
Apr 24, 2006
1.) Faking death with ragdoll is much nicer, actually worked 4 out of 10 times when I was FFA DM in pub servers.

2.) Dynamic models for vehicles was nice, able to see how much a vehicle is damaged with one glance and decide if I can take that Goliath down with one shot or not...

3.) Most balanced FPS game I ever played

4.) No recoil in weapons and iron-sight

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
You know what? We've all been harpin' about how bad UT3 is, me included. :\. So, let's give Epic a bit of a break in this thread. Just post at least two things you liked about UT3.

1. Movement just feels right for me. A lot more like UT99.
2. Sound and music are both pretty great.
3. Weapons feel right as well. I can't really fault UT3's weapons except maybe the Redeemer. It looks kinda stupid.

You know something, I completely agree with you.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Let's see...something I like about UT3...

(1.) After playing UT3 for about three months it became obvious to me that UT3 was a huge consolized failure and a disservice to the Unreal Tournament name, making me more receptive to other games. This allowed me to discover my current #1 game, Sins of a Solar Empire, which I've been playing greedily since March 2008. (Sins is an awesome 4x-RTS that's great for online multiplayer. Check it out at http://www.SinsofaSolarEmpire.com )

(2.) UT3 didn't serve as a #2 game, either, allowing me to discover the wild-and-crazy fun, free-to download and play melee style FPS game Savage 2. You can d/l it here. It rocks. http://www.Savage2.com

So, for me, something good did come out of UT3 in a twisted sort of way.

Last edited: