RON PAUL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
I don't really understand Ron Paul's politics. I was reading legislation he's supported, and some of it I agree with (assuming I understood it), such as several bills regarding freedom of religion and separation of church and state. But then there's a nonsense bill about decreasing visas for students traveling to the U.S. and another about tightening border security.

What about democratic and independent candidates, though? If ever there was a chance for an independent to win the presidency, I think this next election is it.

But then there's a nonsense bill about decreasing visas for students traveling to the U.S. and another about tightening border security.

I had to research this because it's definitely something that I have issue with.. overall I have to disagree with the idea but there is some logic behind it. See below if you wish to see what Ron Paul was thinking. Keep in mind that this is only for nations which harbor terrorists.

Immigration policy must now be considered a matter of national security. America has the same sovereign right to defend itself against enemies when the enemy attacks us from within. Common sense tells us that we currently should not be admitting aliens from nations that sponsor or harbor terrorists, or from nations with whom we are at war. There were many fine German-Americans in the U.S. during World War II, but we certainly did not allow open immigration from Germany until hostilities had ceased and loyalties could be determined. While we generally should welcome people from around the world whenever possible, we cannot allow potential enemies or terrorists to enter the country now under any circumstances. Legislation I introduced in the fall would restrict immigration, including the granting of heavily abused student visas, by individuals from nations listed as terrorist threats by the State department.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
I can understand that during times of war, but not for nations known to hold terrorists. What about the far higher population of non terrorists? And in times of war, what about those fleeing their home nation? To reuse the example of the second world war (and ignoring Godwin's law), America wasn't exactly inviting to the jews fleeing from Germany.

I agree there is logic, but it seems to me that making the U.S. an isolationist nation does more damage than good. It certainly hasn't improved the media's worldview of Us and Them.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
TBH Ron Paul, all nations contain terrorists. So picking and choosing which countries to allow/not allow immigration from is pretty dangerous.

Also this policy could easily be circumvented. Lets say that a generic terrorist comes from a generic Middle Eastern terrorist-harboring country. They could easily immigrate to a country that has very lax immigration laws, that is not on the so-called State Department terrorist threat list. Then, waiting ample time to become a citizen, then immigrates to the US.

Last edited:
Don't be confused. There's a difference between having terrorists and giving them safe haven. This is why we fight against the Taliban, because although they aren't part of Al-Qaeda and had nothing to do with 9/11 they allowed them to have shelter in Afghanistan. Not that I agree with what were doing over there. This is what Ron Paul means. There have been terrorists in Canada and he obviously doesn't mean that we are a threat to America.

Also Isolationism ≠ Non-interventionism. Trading and being friends with other nations is and always has been in the best interests of the US. Imposing "democracy" and occupying nations is not.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Also, I think this is more of what he intends:
There were many fine German-Americans in the U.S. during World War II, but we certainly did not allow open immigration from Germany until hostilities had ceased and loyalties could be determined.

But really, I think our main problem is our completely insane budget that's been ramped up to unsustainable levels. Just once would I like to see our media show a chart/graph of our deficit (cue up omg faux news red-herrings). yea, they bitched about bush, but his spending makes our current levels look like child's-play. or, a real story about the effects of obamacare on businesses.

I think RP has pretty good stances on these issues.

If Ron Paul was elected, what do you guys think his presidential agenda would be?

Why's that?

I'm in no position to speculate on his entire agenda but I think the first thing would be to focus on huge cuts to government programs, probably something along the lines of Rand Paul's bill which would cut 500 billion (Still only a third of what needs to be cut to balance the budget). No rinky dink 50 billion plans would be accepted by Dr Paul,

Last edited: