Monday Night Combat Launches

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The PC version of Monday Night Combat is now available for purchase. Having played a bit of the beta, I can say that it's definitely an interesting little shooter with a bit of strategy to boot. In the move from Xbox 360 to PC, the guys at Uber Entertainment have done a fair bit of tweaking and improving on their product during the beta as evidenced by this developer blog at Penny Arcade (thanks, MaestroMaus)

It all comes down to how each input mechanism affects your ability to turn. On a console, the angle in which a player can turn is a function of both time and displacement of the thumb stick. No matter how far players want to turn, they have to pay a time cost. Even at the highest controller sensitivity, there is a time cost to be paid. On a PC the angle of turn is a direct mapping of how far you move the mouse. The time cost is variable and the better players get that time cost to approach zero.

undyinglight

May 25, 2009
My biggest beef with playing shooters on a console is time it takes to look around, that is why we don't see stuff like competitive Quake Live on consoles. Mouse FTW!!!

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
Aw yeah, this is definitely one PC port that is not botched!

I have been in beta since day one and the game play-changes have been massive. The game has improved a lot during beta. I do think they will keep tuning it though. As they have a great track record with this game.

Also, I love how these guys seem to do everything right:
- First DLC for free (it's already in for PC, but the 360 guys got it for free after launch)
- Fair priced
- Ported with care to the pc
- Great trailers(Ammo Mule for example)
- And of course: Steam integration + UE3 :)

Really I can't think of anything bad about these guys or their game. They really deserve all of the kudo's & love they can get.

EDIT:
You might want to have this one up with the newspost.

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

RuneStorm developer
May 4, 2006
South Africa
www.runestorm.com
There are wealthy publishers that can afford to flood the marketplace with garbage. If DD is the only route they can take, that's cool. It's worth supporting them now, so that maybe they can afford it later.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
This has been pinging my radar for a while but now they've got some TF2 cross-promotion (and after reading the Penny Arcade post yesterday) I think I'm going to take the bait. Looks fun and it's gotten some really good word of mouth promotion going on.

[GU]elmur_fud;2491185 said:
Yes but there are so many much worse ones that do.

Hopefully if it sells well on Steam it'll see a B&M release. Look at games like Torchlight and Super Meat Boy for examples of games that launch on digital services and later see a boxed edition.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Crossfire mode = shoot-em-up DOTA. (aka League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth)

Blitz mode = Tower Defense.

Take those, and then throw in a SMASH TV vibe, and you've got an interesting package.

The game is honestly a steal at $15.

- First DLC for free (it's already in for PC, but the 360 guys got it for free after launch)
What is this DLC? Steam says there is no DLC available, and i've gotten errors on some servers saying the server has DLC that I don't.

No physical retail :tdown: ... Otherwise pretty darn cool.
To me, no B&M is not a downside. I could really not care less the method of delivery.

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
It was a DLC on the console, but it was integrated from the start on PC - so it's technically not DLC there in the first place.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
A game that I had been vaguely interested in due to the cool styling and TF like gameplay that looked to exist, heading off to steam to make a purchase, mind made up :)

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
Indeed, a lovely example of a smooth online experience for me, great example of unreal engine multiplayer. A really great value purchase at £9.99 ukp, already clocked up a fair few hours of playtime and will likely get a few dozen more in weeks to come :)

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
- Ported with care to the pc
I'm about 90% agreed with this
Server browser annoys me. Does not sort by ping by default nor does it remember that I untick Show Full/Empty

There's also one group of servers that I avoid like the plague.
The "Commonwealth" servers always ping low(like 30 or less) but as soon as I get in, laggy as hell