Would you consider modding a form of cheating?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Danja

Mar 16, 2008
Near Toronto (Canada)
I just reinstalled Oblivion on my fancy new 2TB HDD and started playing again. My previous playthroughs of Oblivion had been mostly vanilla, but this time I got some mods.

At first I got fairly basic ones; "don't close my gates", "quest reward leveler", "no psychic guards", but then I started getting mods that substantially changed the game's core mechanics, such as a mod that changed the levelling system and removed level scaling from the game world.

Would you consider this kind of modding, which sometimes makes a game easier or more convenient while adding user made content, to be akin to cheating?

Video game ethics are a huge deal, I personally think that they should have a dedicated branch of the FBI.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
It's a single-player game. Who cares?

such as a mod that changed the levelling system and removed level scaling from the game world.
See, this kind of mod is pretty much required, so not having it is cheating yourself.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the kind of mods you're talking about are not cheating.

now if you downloaded (for example) a new helmet that gave your character 10 million hit points and infinite mana, that's probably cheating. but aside from that, it sounds like all you are doing is customizing the gameplay experience to your liking. and since it's a singleplayer game, that's totally kosher.

usually the only "mods" that can be considered cheating are the ones you might employ during a multiplayer game. unless everyone on the server is running the same mods, you're cheating by making use of something that others cannot. you need to maintain a level playing field.

with singleplayer games, almost anything goes.
it's a matter of how you enjoy the game, and there's no wrong answer.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
It's just a matter of opinion, I personally don't think it's cheating, but my girlfriend does.

1622841269434979.jpg

2910311263690171.jpg

FragTastic

Hitscanned
Nov 10, 2008
Still riding the "Zombie Horse"
If its offline and it makes the game good for another playthru its nothing but win IMO :D
Who cares if gf thinks its cheating? You had already finished the game so its just lolitics really.
Ya beat it their way, now your going to beat it your way. More importantly the game still gets played rather than sitting there collecting dust ;)

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
I mod chicks all the time, my girlfriend doesn't give a damn. So I don't think so.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
A friend of mine once called ALL modding 'cheating'.

Then I pointed out to him that his favourite game Counterstrike started out as, and still is, a mod.