Cliff B Tweaks PC Gamers Over MIA Bulletstorm Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You are ignoring the reality here, just because you make a game that has mass appeal does NOT mean that you automatically get good sales!
You're right, nothing is a guarantee. Name me one game with mass appeal that is not in a market owned by Blizzard that should have been successful but wasn't? It's easier to evaluate why a particular game wasn't popular when it should have been than to make sweeping arguments that are not true in every case.
So only Blizzard is allowed to make PC games, because they are the only ones that deliver quality?
Strange, cause i remember Titan Quest getting fantastic reviews and a few Game of the Year nominations on PC.
No, but making a "Diablo clone" that is not as good as Diablo on the PC is direct competition with Blizzard, and we already know who will win that fight 100% of the time.
Yes they do - but this still doesnt mean that the developer earns enough money to build a stable company on that plattform alone, let alone making more expensive games for hardcore people.
I can't say yes or no to that. But I do know this and I wouldn't be surprised to find this happening with a lot of indie devs that decide to release on Steam.
Sounds like a self-fullfilling prophecy to me, as it all comes down to the same point - PC market is not generating enough money to warrant big expensive games (unless you go the F2P route with Microtransactions, but thats a different story)
I disagree. What you really meant to say here was "The PC market is not generating as much money as consoles". Maybe it's not, but that doesn't mean the platform is not making enough money for people to be solvent.
Do you think they are stupid? Publishers and developers know exactly how to make money on PC - look at the whole F2P market that makes tons! The problem is that if you do that, you need to make a game that is ONLY made for PC with all the gamedesign being build around the microstransaction model and then you cannot sell that game on console.
So the only other option to make money is by having games that are super cheap to develop - see PopCap.
Yes, I do think they are stupid. If they knew how to make money on the PC, they would be making it. There are tons of gamers on PC, over 3 million a day logged in to Steam. If any developer or publisher is whining about poor sales on the PC they have no one to blame but themselves.

PopCap is a horrible example. Their games are some of the most expensive dollar per hour value of any PC game on the market. Or did you really think Zuma was worth $20?
But currently they still make way more money by investing that in console games compared to games targetted only at the PC (see Quake Live, Battlefield Heroes and so on)
That may be true, but, again, you're splitting your thoughts too widely here. Yes, you tend to be able to make more money on consoles. But saying that doesn't mean you won't make money on the PC.
As for Valve - why do you think Valve doesnt go bankrupt?
Because they are getting friggn 30% of whatever sells on Steam!
Back in 2008 an analysis was done of HL2 retail sales. The analysis found that HL2 had sold roughly 6.5 million retail copies. That is only sales in a retail store. Do you really want to keep arguing that Valve would be going bankrupt without Steam right now?
So using Valve as an example is stupid!
It's really not. Their games sell well regardless of how well Steam is performing. The vast majority of console games don't even reach 5 million sales in their lifetime. Acting like the console ecology guarantees you something is ridiculous. It's just easier to get lucky on a locked in, locked down platform.

silentlykiller

Dec 16, 2008
holland game name: <))fk((>nero
If we just jump in and buy something blindly then we have no grounds to complain.
"should have tried the demo first", but wait, there isn't going to be a demo.

Buyer Beware!

atleast is a game that is more intresting then cod black ops or metal of something
the bulletstorm got something new
hell even THE Ball is better then the **** that comes out lately
personal

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
So let us review:

Xbox/PS3: developer designs game to spec > customers buy game > customer plays game
Possible problems: scratched disc, console blew up
Outcome: Not Epic's problem

PC: developer designs game to work with way too many hardware vendors just to try and cover all their bases > customers buy game > some customers can play the game
Possible problems: scratched disc, PC blew up, user is using software designed for Windows 98 that is causing system instability, Nvidia sucks at driver coding, a Windows update cripples a feature of the game, etc., etc., etc.
Outcome: OMG EPIC WTF FIX UR GAEM!!!1111

I wouldn't care much for developing for PCs either.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
So let us review:

Xbox/PS3: developer designs game to spec > customers buy game > customer plays game

PC: developer designs game to work with way too many hardware vendors just to try and cover all their bases > customers buy game > some customers can play the game
Possible problems: scratched disc, PC blew up, user is using software designed for Windows 98 that is causing system instability, Nvidia sucks at driver coding, a Windows update cripples a feature of the game, etc., etc., etc.

This.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Both games are exclusives and were not released on any other platform (which would be PSN and Android respectively). It was their decision not to release these games not just on PC, but also on other platforms, and I can't do anything about it. Why I should be upset about this decision? I may not like, but why fuss over it and consider it a personal insult? May be the reason I'm not is that I just take the situation as it is - that Epic is not obliged to me in any way, and I just don't expect them to make a PC version of everything they make?
It's not personal, but when Epic started their legacy on PC, one should expect them to continue it on PC. Even their engine is call Unreal Engine, named after Unreal the PC game, which started on the PC. It is not called the Gears of War Engine, though at this point I would not be surprise if UE4 only comes when Xbox720 is released and will be timed exclusive, before being given to PC.

I like the parts in this thread where people are hinging the future of PC gaming on Epic Games.
It's Epic, the makers of Unreal Engine, people will notice to what they say and do, whether it is good or bad. So if they set a bad example on PC, then other devs will follow them. They might not be the only example, but Epic is still a big example.

Epic have their often repeated mantra-like narrative on the state of PC gaming and they're sticking to it. The collective egos of Tim Sweeney, Mike Capps and CliffB are on the line here. These probably aren't the sort of people who would hold their hands up and say we were completely wrong, by having Epic produce a "made for PC" game and having a huge hit. That would ruin the narrative.
True, and that would make them less sympathetic. But hopefully somehow later on, the almighty dollar will convince them otherwise.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
So let us review:

Still you'd have more respect for Epic if they just threw everything into getting one PC version right, taking onboard constructive criticism and competitive community "needs" in a meaningful consultation.

Because as Brizz says, producing half assed ports that fail on PC doesn't show PC gaming up. It suggests a Studio is not even attempting to be successful on the PC platform, almost deliberately for some insane reason.

Last edited:

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
So let us review:

Well there was the recent PS3 exploit and people must have complained enough to IW to fix PS3 MW2 for them to release this statement:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/17/ps3-hackers-make-modern-warfare-2-unplayable-infinity-ward-ca/
So its not just PC dev that get blamed for hardware/firmware issues.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So let us review:

PC development isn't really like that anymore, though. There are tons of libraries and middlewares designed to mitigate problems caused by differing hardware and weird conflicts.

Most people complain about controls and ui stuff on PC games. Hardware problems, especially in UE3 games, rarely have much substance.

No its not just a Twitter post. It shows the True nature of CliffyB that he is. A complete Asshole.

Wow, a twitter post shows all that?

We are Gamers as much as then next person. We supported CliffyB with Unreal & made him who he is. CliffyB has decided over the years to blame piracy for lack of sales n crap but look at the HackBox 360. It is just as Pirated as the PC but they always get everything while we get Shafted.

And this is the cream of the BS cake, and what it all comes down to.

"We made him who he is"

Who's we? You made Cliffy who he is? Why, because you bought a copy of Unreal back in 1998? The only person that made Cliffy B who he is is Cliffy B. He's the guy who fell in love with games as a youth like all of us and wanted to make his own. Tell me how, exactly, did you mold young Clifford into a level designer and set him on the path to find work in the industry? What wisdom did you impart when he was making levels for Unreal? Face it. You bought a game once and it was great and you wanted the people who made that game to keep making the same game over and over again to your exact specifications for your specific demographic of gamer even at the expense of their own company's future.

Maybe he is a jerk. I don't know the guy personally. But there are lots of games. There are lots of them. You can play something else.

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
This gorilla knows how to make a successful PC game

[screenshot]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1071/kx8o9.png[/screenshot]

one that even has Linux and Mac support.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Well there was the recent PS3 exploit and people must have complained enough to IW to fix PS3 MW2 for them to release this statement:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/17/ps3-hackers-make-modern-warfare-2-unplayable-infinity-ward-ca/
So its not just PC dev that get blamed for hardware/firmware issues.

I seriously doubt it was the recent security exploit that caused all the hacking. The hacking has been going on since launch day, this is just the typical IW "We don't know how to fix our ****" excuse.

Anyway back on topic. Need more whiners complaining about Epic betraying them and such, it makes for good popcorn entertainment.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
which game would that be?

Heroes of Newerth, the other day the concurrent users peaked at 43k. Also that's for a game that's been out for nearly a year now, still retailing at $30. Only recently got a cash shop that's doing quite well.

Now if you look at the top games on steam:

74,713 78,540 Counter-Strike
72,080 75,814 Counter-Strike: Source
43,529 46,308 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
35,246 39,115 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer

HoN is giving CoD a run for it's money. What's interesting about HoN is that there's no middleware and that they are their own publisher.
If they continue like this they will become the next Valve/Blizzard.